Official Bulldogs vs Sharks Pre-season Challenge - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Reality bites when a top 4 side puts the cleaners through us. I never ever thought we were top 8 material with our current roster. Thompson is a like a forward version of Mbye. Paid as a marquee prop but cant play prop then shoved into 13 and cant ball play. Flanno simply is injury backup & puts too much pressure on Burton to do everything. Averillo is rocks & diamonds and literally is a 14 mr fixit that doesn't fix it. Waddell....comes on and takes 15 seconds to stand up after being tackled every-time and has flipper hands. Okenturd...the less said the better. Burns...overpaid injury backup. Perham out of his depth in a critical position. The fact is we have some 1st grade quality players and some youth coming into the 30 man squad but we still need to plunge a lot of turds from previous administrations. 2024 is the year I will start getting excited.
Hurts because its true

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
New coach same problems.
Yardage: back 5 struggle to make meters
1 & 7: reserve grade standard. It’s disturbing that grub looks far more conformable at 7 then the Flang.
End of sets: atrocious
Positives : new recruits look a fraction better then the guys moved on from last year
We were always going to struggle in the first few weeks new combinations and all, but there is a player who hasn't taken a positive forward step on the field to improve and is effecting the whole team, I am not singling him out for the results in the last game, but the writing is on the wall for him !

Last edited:

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Losses to Manly and Storm might be acceptable. A round 3 loss to the Tigers will cause rumblings. Another to the Warriors and the panic button will be getting a workout.
On the other hand if things aren't looking good by Round 5 it will be hard to bring in Rajab before the run of Cowboys, Rabbits, Eels and Sharks. Reynolds on the other hand might be palatable.

Flanagan is simply unpleasant to watch, with his uncertain, shuffling footwork, shaping the ball to his knees on receipt, unconvincing dummy, crap kicks, the fact other players ignore him.

It was so much more enjoyable to watch the side when Reynolds came on. Even though half the top players were benched.

Who is going to be happy watching 27 games with Flanagan at half?
Only to come 9th or 10th?

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think our players can perform better. But I want a fair game from the refs. How many times do you want to change the roster over?? Where has that gotten us? Again, same with the coach? Where are our 6 agains and penalties? Why does the club do sweet f/a about the clowns who just reff us out? Payton called them out, and cowboys got the calls.
We could have been penalised 20 times under the new rule for not having both feet behind the goal line. That was 1 of the more even refereeing efforts we've had in recent years

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Given the chance he will give it his all.

Flanno and Burton isn’t the answer..well it doesn’t look that way. If they see it as the best we have at the moment the season is going to be painful because flanno will not improve.
Saw it last year Burton dose'nt like playing longside our famous gun.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no solution right now and I don't think people are getting that. The coaching staff see the players way more than we do and if they thought someone else was ready to start the year at halfback then they would've started them.
Our coaching staff might be taking more notice of what goes on the training field than what happens in the game, Flanno is the type of player who will always shine at training, but during the game the less said the better.
There may be other reaons why they are persisting with the gun.
They don't want to arrose resentment against our club due to his dad been a commentater.
They may have thought that by playing him with better players around him he might show enough to get another club interested. BTW he has now had 4 months for other clubs to come calling or for him to find another club, considering the shortage of !/2's in the NRL says it all.

Last edited:

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
unfortunately TPJ cannot be relied on this year, he will be a rotated bench middle as far as I’m concerned

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Thank god for trials. Best off getting the rusty shit out the way and seeing who to play where. Sharks will be top 4 again no doubt so I wouldn’t look into to much. Chuck avo back at fullback and Skelton in the centres

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything seemed to go south for us after the Avo no try. Don't worry Critta im not bagging him for that either, that was sensational play from their fullback
I thought that Avo still had his arm and part of his body on the ball when it touched the turf.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We could have been penalised 20 times under the new rule for not having both feet behind the goal line. That was 1 of the more even refereeing efforts we've had in recent years
Wish I could agree with you there.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Really ? I didn't watch it closely, i was too busy kicking the cat. The commentators didn't mention it

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Our coaching staff might be taking more notice of what goes on the training field than what happens in the game, Flanno is the type of player who will always shine at training, but during the game the less said the better.
There may be other reaons why they are persisting with the gun.
They don't want to arrose resentment against our club due to his dad been a commentater.
They may have thought that by playing him with better players around him he might show enough to get another club interested. BTW he has now had 4 months for other clubs to come calling or for him to find another club, considering the shortage of !/2's in the NRL says it all.
If they left him to rot last time maybe he's in the SL now or no one would give a F with him in reserve grade. Short term you're going to cop it but bringing him back into the fold last year was a terrible decision cause now we're going to go through it again as he can't stay in the 7 or team this year either. He gets to play 7/NRL with little to no reproductions regardless of performance, that's not setting a good culture.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We were always going to struggle in the first few weeks new combinations and all, but there is a player who hasn't taken a positive forward step on the field to improve and is effecting the whole team, I am not singling him for the results in the last game, but the writing is on the wall for him !
A whole preseason with a new coaching staff and the one person who needed to address serious technical and communication deficiencies in their game has achieved nothing. Nada. Zip. ничего

Barrett 2.0

Separately, Averillo has spent the second season in a row training in a new position only to show he doesn't have what's needed.
The reason centre is such a difficult position is because of the need to put your body on the line against the opposition's strongest runners.
This is #1 requirement for a centre. If you don't have it. Then you can't play centre.
So who thought Averillo in centre was a good idea? It's actually why he was put at halfback and then fullback....

What a farce. Barrett 2.0