Opinion Karl Oloapu

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don’t you think that he was outperformed at fullback in the pre season? I doubt Ciro picked Perham off a hunch.
Just my opinion we will see if Perham lasts at the back.
Averillo wasnt outperformed at all he was put into centre at the start of the preseason.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still think he should be the fullback he has that x-factor.
I felt that way too tbh but i think center is his best spot. Its where he has looked his best coming through the grades so i think persevering with him there may be better..

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What role is Preston playing mate. Do you think he will be part of the round 1 team from what you saw. Considering Kikau is back?
Looking solid for a bench spot... kid can play across the park.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how they go tomorrow considering they're training in the heat today. I think I saw Gus say there wasn't a captain's run so I assume the session today was about pushing them as hard as possible (without overworking) and seeing how they bounce back tomorrow.

Jake's got a big test against Talakai tomorrow, Talakai one on one is going to bump off pretty much every centre so we will see how he handles that. If he does okay then he probably carries that confidence in to start the season. I assume Kiraz will be up his arse all game anyway lol.
I heard the boys were pretty drained after today, heard of some headaches around the squad obviously due to the sun and dehydration. Honestly not a fan of smashing them a day before a game but then again it could be to toughen these boys up before season proper. REALLY hope they hydrate well and get a good rest so they can put a show on tomorrow.

The way the kid is reading plays and jamming in is great rather against Talakai he needs to get it absolutely right or he will end up with anither headache in the bottom terrace of T.lamb hill.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I heard the boys were pretty drained after today, heard of some headaches around the squad obviously due to the sun and dehydration. Honestly not a fan of smashing them a day before a game but then again it could be to toughen these boys up before season proper. REALLY hope they hydrate well and get a good rest so they can put a show on tomorrow.

The way the kid is reading plays and jamming in is great rather against Talakai he needs to get it absolutely right or he will end up with anither headache in the bottom terrace of T.lamb hill.
Would hate to see a Harper like preformance by him against Talakai, it would be the end of him in the NRL.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ball playing locks have become a pretty important position in modern footy.

Many believe they are at least as valuable if not more so than a 5/8.

You must of missed the fact that he played 13 for Queensland, Australian Schoolboys, and the Broncs wanted to play him there.

Not sure what part of his thumping front on defense says fullback .... doubt he has the pace for the position either.
Of course its important, but the lad clearly thinks he is a half. Its half the reason he signed with us. And he is considered one of the best young halfs coming through so why not see if he can make that position his own first.

Theres a big difference between "thumping" defence and needing to play team defence right in the middle of the park. We dont know if he can withstand 40 tackles a game against grown men and right up the middle of the pack.

Even just in the highlights he seems to be really good at setting up his centre or winger through a nice cut out pass, he has really nice footwork and seems to like picking his spots to call for the ball. All very nice traits for a 5/8 or fullback.

Plus this is his direct quote "Now since then I have been told I am not part of the full-time squad and they want me to play at lock or hooker and change the shape of my body"

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Of course its important, but the lad clearly thinks he is a half. Its half the reason he signed with us. And he is considered one of the best young halfs coming through so why not see if he can make that position his own first.

Theres a big difference between "thumping" defence and needing to play team defence right in the middle of the park. We dont know if he can withstand 40 tackles a game against grown men and right up the middle of the pack.

Even just in the highlights he seems to be really good at setting up his centre or winger through a nice cut out pass, he has really nice footwork and seems to like picking his spots to call for the ball. All very nice traits for a 5/8 or fullback.

Plus this is his direct quote "Now since then I have been told I am not part of the full-time squad and they want me to play at lock or hooker and change the shape of my body"
Exactly.

As far as we know and unless things change, he came expecting to be a half, not sure which or if either 6 or 7. A season is long and many things happen, need more than 1 or 2 five eighths and halfbacks.

For now, a hard working no frills forward type of lock or your barraging and offloading lock will suffice. That might be better for a new team/coach as CC's tactics and philosophy will take time to be instilled.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hopefully there will be some opportunity to see Oloapu live in the lower grades.
His highlights video is impressive but in reality meaningless.
The most important news this week will be whether Oloapu is given an opportunity in a lower grade and in what position.
If we only win one of the first 4 games Flanagan will be ditched as the following 4 games are even tougher. Until yesterday it seemed possible he might hang on for 8-10 weeks. Unlikely now.
So options like Reynolds, Rajab, BBO and Oloapu now have more urgency.
Oloapu is the one with the greatest potential but he is also the youngest and until we see him play we have no idea where he is at. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.
That's the real story for season 2023. Especially the next few weeks until Flanagan gets shafted,
Or until we sign a real half back from a parallel universe.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hopefully there will be some opportunity to see Oloapu live in the lower grades.
His highlights video is impressive but in reality meaningless.
The most important news this week will be whether Oloapu is given an opportunity in a lower grade and in what position.
If we only win one of the first 4 games Flanagan will be ditched as the following 4 games are even tougher. Until yesterday it seemed possible he might hang on for 8-10 weeks. Unlikely now.
So options like Reynolds, Rajab, BBO and Oloapu now have more urgency.
Oloapu is the one with the greatest potential but he is also the youngest and until we see him play we have no idea where he is at. Hopefully that is sooner rather than later.
That's the real story for season 2023. Especially the next few weeks until Flanagan gets shafted,
Or until we sign a real half back from a parallel universe.
Unless there s a change in top 30 Rajab cant play n bbo is injured - hopefully theres a nsw cup n flegg trial this weekend - surely oloapu would get some minutes at flegg level.