Official Bulldogs vs Raiders Pre-season Challenge - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It will probably be another match where we won't get the rub of the green and we will probably have to face the raiders and the officials.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope our supporters are not taking these trials super seriously and throwing their toys out of the cot if we go down… same applies for a win, the old top 4 and gf bound excitement - it’s a trial…. It will be used as such.

My expectations here are effort plays, creativity, valuing defence and identifying potential when up against men. It pains me when 16yo posters sook after a trial, especially the first one! relax in advance, we will be ok.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
TBaz must’ve taken all those First Grade highlights of Knockinbor to the Eels with him and left the club with only his reserve grade highlights for him to be selected even if it is a trial game. TBaz for some reason loved the guy.

Most likely and hopefully the only time we see him in FG this year. He’s a reserve grader at best.

Ricky knows which side of the park to target now he’s been named.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope our supporters are not taking these trials super seriously and throwing their toys out of the cot if we go down… same applies for a win, the old top 4 and gf bound excitement - it’s a trial…. It will be used as such.

My expectations here are effort plays, creativity, valuing defence and identifying potential when up against men. It pains me when 16yo posters sook after a trial, especially the first one! relax in advance, we will be ok.
If we dont win CC n Gus should be sacked. This is serious stuf.

J_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to seeing our defensive structures , That's what will determine whether we'll make the top 8 or not. For years now our line speed and contact has been shit.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to seeing our defensive structures , That's what will determine whether we'll make the top 8 or not. For years now our line speed and contact has been shit.
I think that will be the first thing that CC puts his stamp on.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All depends on how many piggyback 6 agains and penalties the refs give the opposition.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Who is Bailey Haywood? I think they mean Bailey Hayward

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This trial team shows our lack of quality and depth at 1, 2 & 7. Perham, who we only recently found out was favourite to play fullback and has big ? over him, then Burns? All other options are probably too green. Avo should play there as we have better depth at centre. Then we look at wing, Casey is injured but hasn’t cemented himself as an NRL player yet anyway. The fact they had to pick Okunbor shows we’re still lacking quality wing options, hence me hoping they sign Young. Skelton is potential but not ready and I don’t think anyone in Reggies or Flegg are pushing for selection?

Edit: Bulldogs website has interesting information re: player positions. They have Avo as a centre, so I guess that’s where CC believes he will play as we thought. Casey and Rajab are listed as fullbacks, and Kiraz a winger (I forgot this when posting the first time, but we’re still short of wingers). When JAC isn’t available it looks like we’re stuck with Ok!

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This trial team shows our lack of quality and depth at 1, 2 & 7. Perham, who we only recently found out was favourite to play fullback and has big ? over him, then Burns? All other options are probably too green. Avo should play there as we have better depth at centre. Then we look at wing, Casey is injured but hasn’t cemented himself as an NRL player yet anyway. The fact they had to pick Okunbor shows we’re still lacking quality wing options, hence me hoping they sign Young. Skelton is potential but not ready and I don’t think anyone in Reggies or Flegg are pushing for selection?
If you sign Young then one of Alamoti, Xerri or Kiraz miss out. We don't need to sign a starting winger. We need 1-2 more middles then that's basically the team until kids come through.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People need to understand this is our 1st trial for the pre season. Most clubs are going to rest a LOT of their stars.

No doubt we’ll see a few that are rested for this, named in our 2nd trial game.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
FFS it's Trial Game #1, which always means leave the gun/strike players out, rest those that need resting, let the back ups and the back ups to the back ups gain some experience, plus they get to show if they are worth picking in the future.

As for specifics, Averillo is the back up fullback but he needs experience in the centres so CC is playing him there, entirely logical and appropriate. As for wingers, FMD JAC isn't playing and he's an automatic choice and Skelton is in the team, he may even start in lieu of Okunbor, or not. When Casey is back Okunbor becomes the 5th choice winger, which I don't see as being that bad.

It's Trial Game #2 where the real team gets to play, chill.

Always a Bulldog

MitchNewton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he is not rated why did they put him straight into top30?
They have massive wraps on but he is young and no need to rush him
They rushed the decision based on potential. Not saying he won’t make it but at the moment he’s not showing enough for selection.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
They rushed the decision based on potential. Not saying he won’t make it but at the moment he’s not showing enough for selection.
Size was going to be a problem - good withthe ball but not sure whether he would cope with the defnce - Ryan Gray has been training with the squad again - seems odd that a top 30 would be rested this weekend after one game in six months..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Size was going to be a problem - good withthe ball but not sure whether he would cope with the defnce - Ryan Gray has been training with the squad again - seems odd that a top 30 would be rested this weekend after one game in six months..
The base line fitness is well established and they are in the training taper period, where the workload is gradually reduced leading up to the season start.

Always a Bulldog

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He'll become like that other bloke from last year,Tyrone Harding