News How Bulldogs twerk for Panther to go from basket case to contenders... and they’re not done yet

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Media is really pushing this Panthers narrative. Well, not so much the media, only Fox League for now. To be fair, Ciraldo was taken under Gus’ wing early on.
Gus built what ever Penrith has going at the moment. If there’s no Gus, they would still be at the bottom of the table.
Anyway, I’m loving it. Hopefully Leniu is announced soon.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark St. John is a fictional person. Also, when’s the article on how Wests are the new Panthers? They have more ex-Panthers than us. We currently only have 2 (Burton & Kikau) yet the media and oppo fans are salty af that we’re ”poaching” the Panthers who have been good for 5 fukking minutes ffs.

Even when you consider Crichton coming next year, woopty doo. 3 former Panthers and an assistant coach! I feel like I have taken crazy pills with how these narratives are formed based on sweet fuck all. Tigers have 5 former Panthers. 5! Laurie, Naden, Api, Staines and Blore. 6 if you include Will Smith but his last club was Titans iirc, so that would be disingenuous.

It shits me to tears how dumb and gullible the footy world are. Fans just swallow these simplistic narratives, when in reality, it’s usually way overblown, or misdirected. Anyway, we’ve hardly raided the Panthers much worse than other clubs.

Let’s take a look at our latest recruitment drive shall we? Sutton - Raiders, Brown - Tigers, also former Bulldog and Shark. Davey - Manly, Mahoney and Perham - Eels, Pele - Sharks/Newtown, Kikau - Penrith. Hmm, sure does make for boring reading that. We can’t have that! Bulldogs signed yet another Panther!
Tiggers would had the coach too, except he identified they were a rabble and rejected them

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Media is really pushing this Panthers narrative. Well, not so much the media, only Fox League for now. To be fair, Ciraldo was taken under Gus’ wing early on.
Gus built what ever Penrith has going at the moment. If there’s no Gus, they would still be at the bottom of the table.
Anyone defends News Crap is just crap !

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How many local juniors do Melbourne have?
Do Melbourne have a junior League to promote players from?
What about a NSW/Qld Cup Melbourne team, or even a Vic Cup Melbourne team?
Jersey Flegg or SG Ball teams?

Why do they get a pass on buying players?

Always a Bulldog
Their "Nursery" is Qld.

I still think moving Storm to QLD to give them their 2nd Brisbane team would've been better than a new 17th team with too short a recruitment time to be competitive. Established strong team moved closer to their nursey.

bulldog butch

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mark St. John is a fictional person. Also, when’s the article on how Wests are the new Panthers? They have more ex-Panthers than us. We currently only have 2 (Burton & Kikau) yet the media and oppo fans are salty af that we’re ”poaching” the Panthers who have been good for 5 fukking minutes ffs.

Even when you consider Crichton coming next year, woopty doo. 3 former Panthers and an assistant coach! I feel like I have taken crazy pills with how these narratives are formed based on sweet fuck all. Tigers have 5 former Panthers. 5! Laurie, Naden, Api, Staines and Blore. 6 if you include Will Smith but his last club was Titans iirc, so that would be disingenuous.

It shits me to tears how dumb and gullible the footy world are. Fans just swallow these simplistic narratives, when in reality, it’s usually way overblown, or misdirected. Anyway, we’ve hardly raided the Panthers much worse than other clubs.

Let’s take a look at our latest recruitment drive shall we? Sutton - Raiders, Brown - Tigers, also former Bulldog and Shark. Davey - Manly, Mahoney and Perham - Eels, Pele - Sharks/Newtown, Kikau - Penrith. Hmm, sure does make for boring reading that. We can’t have that! Bulldogs signed yet another Panther!
I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure kikau is a Cowboys junior as well....

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think anyone really minds. It benefits us and Panthers have got two premierships to show for it already.

Everyone who knows modern Rugby League knows it's all about premiership windows, how long can you keep a successful team together before the salary cap bites? In that time hopefully you make the most of it as Panthers have done.

For sustained success we need juniors, but at the same time you need a competitive team to blood them into. We can't have a team full of Lewis', Hollands, Atoni's, Lichaa's and expect juniors to come in and kill it.

What I like is how we're signing experienced proven winners who still have plenty of football left in them.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Can anyone remind me of what that article said at the start and in the middle. I read it all but I only recall the end.

We're actually closer to following the Roosters blue print in my opinion. The Panthers one was to rebuild over many years first by getting their debt under control, then getting the juniors right. We've never had financial issues as far as I'm aware, so we've just bought players that are a shitload better than our neglected junior production line had been producing. Much like the Roosters have done for years. Moving forward though, we've been trying to get a better calibre of youngster into the system. This has been how we ran things through our era of dominance. It was always a Bulldogs blue print. We just went away from it when we hired someone who had fuck all skin in the game (Greenberg) who then hired someone else who had fuck all skin in the game (Hasler). Between those two the club made really poor recruitment and retention choices and began to let our production line fail badly for the first time since I have been a fan of the club.
Please tell me you didn't read that trash Alan :-)
As for the second part of your quote, never at truer word been said about those two...

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How many local juniors do Melbourne have?
Do Melbourne have a junior League to promote players from?
What about a NSW/Qld Cup Melbourne team, or even a Vic Cup Melbourne team?
Jersey Flegg or SG Ball teams?

Why do they get a pass on buying players?

Always a Bulldog
Hummmm, Let me think :confused::laughing:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With us there are no other egos to get in the way .... Gus has FULL control of the football operation.

Wasn't the case at Penrith.

I have never seen Gus looking happier in his entire career.
From the outside looking in, it seems like a really well balanced team at the top. Khoury, Warburton and Gus all seem to compliment each other. Gus is obviously a footy expert, and iirc Warbs is very good at marketing and business. Khoury iirc is a business mover and shaker?

Whatever is happening behind the scenes it seems like the club is working better than it has been for many years.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From the outside looking in, it seems like a really well balanced team at the top. Khoury, Warburton and Gus all seem to compliment each other. Gus is obviously a footy expert, and iirc Warbs is very good at marketing and business. Khoury iirc is a business mover and shaker?

Whatever is happening behind the scenes it seems like the club is working better than it has been for many years.
I sense no ego’s. They each let one another do their job. Gus deals with anything footy, Warburton anything operational, and Khoury the board among other things he’s responsible for.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Funny how the narrative from the media mentions nothing about penrith winning no premierships ever before signing former Bulldogs premiership winning players

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The dogs are just looking for the best players available and most happen to be at Penrith night now. Penrith were gonna lose all those players anyway. Plenty of clubs have achieved success on the back of ex doggies players in the past.

Taylforth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

Yeh agree, that article was written purely to advance the ridiculous “Bulldogs Panthers” narrative and increase internet clicks. The Journos have utterly nothing more creative or interesting to contribute.
No wonder Mark St John is fictitious. No credible sports journo (does one still exist?) would want to put his/her name to it!!
Gus has just used his existing successful model and strategy to rebuild the Bulldogs, similar as he successfully did at the Panthers.
I believe he will do this whole exercise far more quickly here, as he has likely learnt from any past mistakes and does not have anyone at the Dogs running interference to his plans.
So far outcomes look great and we look well on track. Just an organising half to steer our boys around the field is still needed. Might have to wait until 2024 for that.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Fox and Alexander are Bum Chums....there's the narrative.