Russia vs Ukraine

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So do they support Putin or they are not very happy with him? You know years back I went to uni with a Russian lady and I asked her about what she thought about Gorbachev..she couldn’t stand him, said he ruined Russia..or USSR..with his Perestroika and Glasnost.. Yet Western media had him down as the East and West hero..loved by all his people.. whether she was alone in her dislike I’m not sure..buts it’s interesting, and real I guess, when you actually hear the views of the people who live in the country that these leaders govern, and who are most affected by their decisions..
That's interesting tbh as it's hard to say with the Russians I speak to.

Some are very active against Putin and they've suffered because of it.

Most are very quiet and aren't either this way or that. I'd say few actively come out and support him that I know personally, but at the same time actions speak louder than words and I don't see them protesting against him either. Which is the same as supporting him to me.

As I said tho, there is a rise in support of Putin from what I've seen. I'm in a Russian Facebook group over here for work, and there's a lot more anger towards the west than previously.

Though I imagine that they've now been inconvenienced more now than before? Hence the bitterness

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
"The Ukrainian defence conglomerate Ukroboronprom successfully tested a "kamikaze" strike drone with a range of one thousand kilometres. It can carry a 75 kg warhead."

Oh, this will be interesting if true. No idea how long production would take but considering Russia seems to be running out of material (buying from Iran) could be a game changer.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Most are very quiet and aren't either this way or that. I'd say few actively come out and support him that I know personally, but at the same time actions speak louder than words and I don't see them protesting against him either. Which is the same as supporting him to me.

As I said tho, there is a rise in support of Putin from what I've seen. I'm in a Russian Facebook group over here for work, and there's a lot more anger towards the west than previously.

Though I imagine that they've now been inconvenienced more now than before? Hence the bitterness
Unless we actually live there it is really hard to gauge the level of support or bitterness.. I mean, and I don’t cast any accusations on the people you know or talk too, but some may be afraid to say anything either way because they are worried that it could get back to Russia and affect their relatives or friends who still live there..

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score

What u see on social media about russia (or china) is only what those governments want you to see. They conpletely control that stuff in those countries.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Unless we actually live there it is really hard to gauge the level of support or bitterness.. I mean, and I don’t cast any accusations on the people you know or talk too, but some may be afraid to say anything either way because they are worried that it could get back to Russia and affect their relatives or friends who still live there..
This is my thing tho.

I do get why people inside Russia feel this way, tho I think look at people uprising in Iran plus China and question what's stopping Russians? But ok, it's harder actually inside Russia.

But I'm talking about Russians who've been living in the west for most of their lives. Enjoying western culture and luxuries. Complete access to the free media. They can see everything.

But so many are still ardent Putin fans.

A Russian family I've knows for the past 7+ years. Sweet. Considerate. But they march for Putin most weekends. One of their family members were killed in Ukraine and they held him up as an example to all Russians about a wonderful death.

I don't get it.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What u see on social media about russia (or china) is only what those governments want you to see. They conpletely control that stuff in those countries.
Agree to a point, especially with China where the control of social media and information getting out of the country is so controlled.

But when I look at Russia and see real-time videos coming out of mobilised soldiers openly complaining, Russian prisoner mafia calling out generals, wives and family members calling out the government, videos of mobilised soldiers leaving on mass from a training ground.

I'm not sure how much control they have anymore?

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This is my thing tho.

I do get why people inside Russia feel this way, tho I think look at people uprising in Iran plus China and question what's stopping Russians? But ok, it's harder actually inside Russia.

But I'm talking about Russians who've been living in the west for most of their lives. Enjoying western culture and luxuries. Complete access to the free media. They can see everything.

But so many are still ardent Putin fans.

A Russian family I've knows for the past 7+ years. Sweet. Considerate. But they march for Putin most weekends. One of their family members were killed in Ukraine and they held him up as an example to all Russians about a wonderful death.

I don't get it.
Yep I can’t answer..nor do I get it either..maybe it’s the Stockholm Syndrome..

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Putin has bottled it.

This is the equivalent of a top PL team on the verge of a title and bottling it against minnow like Bournemouth.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It appears to be well substantiated that UKR have managed to strike at 2 Russian air bases from which they send bombers. Overall this is a symbolic gesture, at least at this stage, kind of like the Doolittle raid in WW2.

Hard to see all that much happening in the next 3 months or so. But in that time both sides would be trying to prepare for the thaw to come.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It appears to be well substantiated that UKR have managed to strike at 2 Russian air bases from which they send bombers. Overall this is a symbolic gesture, at least at this stage, kind of like the Doolittle raid in WW2.

Hard to see all that much happening in the next 3 months or so. But in that time both sides would be trying to prepare for the thaw to come.
Amazing that the drones were able to travel so far and get past Russian air defences!

The Doolittle raid?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Amazing that the drones were able to travel so far and get past Russian air defences!

The Doolittle raid?

Quoting from the first paragraph:

"Although the raid caused comparatively minor damage, it demonstrated that the Japanese mainland was vulnerable to American air attacks. It served as an initial retaliation for the 7 December 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, and provided an important boost to American morale."

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Quoting from the first paragraph:

"Although the raid caused comparatively minor damage, it demonstrated that the Japanese mainland was vulnerable to American air attacks. It served as an initial retaliation for the 7 December 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, and provided an important boost to American morale."
Nice and something I didn't know! Thanks.

Good comparison then as it doesn't seem like the attack caused that much damage?

Some are saying it's this new Ukraine made drone that they apparently have but I wouldn't have a clue if that's real

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Nice and something I didn't know! Thanks.

Good comparison then as it doesn't seem like the attack caused that much damage?

Some are saying it's this new Ukraine made drone that they apparently have but I wouldn't have a clue if that's real
Something got over there, and it is unlikely to be anything that the US handed over, at least without modification. Can't see the US giving UKR anything that can strike deep into Russian territory. I would also expect that at this stage UKR isn't going to tell their allies and supporters a lot of their plans, as that gives US, EU, etc, plausibly deniability.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Something got over there, and it is unlikely to be anything that the US handed over, at least without modification. Can't see the US giving UKR anything that can strike deep into Russian territory. I would also expect that at this stage UKR isn't going to tell their allies and supporters a lot of their plans, as that gives US, EU, etc, plausibly deniability.
Ukroboronprom claimed they were testing their new drones against electro jamming but had passed everything else to date earlier in the week. Nice feint if its actually field ready.

Do think its a dangerous game though - Russia have been clear about conditions for tactical nukes. Think its possibly a step too far based on one or two attacks on Russian territory but if it continues, with the war grinding to defined lines due to winter, the time to do it (if you were going to do it) is in the next month or so from a pure strategic perspective (i.e. nothing else to consider).

Interesting argument - what would it take for Russia to go tactical nuke (or even would they). Tough question coz it opens a fckng pandoras box at a whole range of levels.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Lots of debate over this and I find the most interesting part as how Ukraine has been able to get through Russian air defence so relatively easily. It's some 700km from Kiev I think so a fair way!

Remember posting earlier about Russia taking their air defence systems to Ukraine and leaving their homeland quite open to attack, so maybe that's what's happened?

There was a report coming from US media saying that the US had secretly disabled the capability of HIMARS to fire launch long distance missiles which made me laugh if I'm honest. Not so secret if they're telling the world ...

Will be interesting seeing what news comes from this today.

Have seen some in the media worried about potential esculation because of this pointing towards nucleur attacks. Nah. Putin has nothing.