Rugby League World Cup - Other Team Lists and Game Discussion

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Trent didn't kick any field goals in 2014 SOO, he scored a try in the last 10 minutes in game 2, and then kicked the goal. He got the play that won the game, but in honesty the QLD defence had an absolute brain fart for 5 seconds.

Defence is predominantly seen as reactive, attack is seen as more proactive (I know it is more nuanced than this, defence can be proactive, attack can be reactive, but nonetheless this is the general perception that people have). Kids grow up dreaming of scoring the try or kicking the goal that wins the game. There is considerable attention placed on such play in sporting culture. Whether this is attention is truly worthwhile is a different debate, but it does exist. There are players who've had long careers without truly having such a play of their own. There are players who've had chances and messed them up.

I am by no means sold on Crichton, especially for the sort of money that is being spoken about, but those were two good bits of play, in a high pressure context.
Who's talking Origin? Talking the final against Manly and GP.

Hate to say it (and probably won't say it too many times) but agree with @Mutt Dafty (Gary) - Herbie turned Crichton into a turnstile a few times. And Crichton was nothing except for a free run, an intercept and the FG.

Shits me up the wall that we make a song and dance for the dude who does nothing all game but pulls off two simple but critical plays. The boys who busted a nut to keep them in position for those two plays get nothing.

Whitehead try - who ran out of the line and got nothing. Crichton.
Crichton 1st try - did nothing except enjoying the free ride provided by Jnr and Luai.
Herbie try - stood there grabbing air as he was stepped. Crichton again.
and then the intercept.

You put someone else in the centres - and Samoa don't need a field goal. And reckon if Samoa lost this - we'd be crucifying him right now.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Am tempted to ask Gus if Thompson will be at the club next year - he often answers, but he often blocks people if he doesnt want to answer.
Thompson will be captain..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He has a good ol' swing with the foot at Herbie when he scores his first try. Got him too I reckon, lucky for him Herbie made no deal about it.
I've said it before but every game I've seen him play he's always doing some wild shit with his legs. Imagine if he played for us, would be countless articles written about it :tearsofjoy:

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Am tempted to ask Gus if Thompson will be at the club next year - he often answers, but he often blocks people if he doesnt want to answer.
You won't get a candid answer anyway lol

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who's talking Origin? Talking the final against Manly and GP.

Hate to say it (and probably won't say it too many times) but agree with @Mutt Dafty (Gary) - Herbie turned Crichton into a turnstile a few times. And Crichton was nothing except for a free run, an intercept and the FG.

Shits me up the wall that we make a song and dance for the dude who does nothing all game but pulls off two simple but critical plays. The boys who busted a nut to keep them in position for those two plays get nothing.

Whitehead try - who ran out of the line and got nothing. Crichton.
Crichton 1st try - did nothing except enjoying the free ride provided by Jnr and Luai.
Herbie try - stood there grabbing air as he was stepped. Crichton again.
and then the intercept.

You put someone else in the centres - and Samoa don't need a field goal. And reckon if Samoa lost this - we'd be crucifying him right now.
I was talking about Origin, hence I specified Trent NSW 2014.

Trent is a case in point in a way, he could be considered fortunate to have played SOO at all. But he earned a reputation for nailing key moments that better halfbacks like Ben Hunt would love to have.

Crichton is still more an athlete than a footy player, in my view, and I do agree with you that across the game other players were better. But still, he has nailed key attacking (clutch) plays before, this isn't the first time.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've said it before but every game I've seen him play he's always doing some wild shit with his legs. Imagine if he played for us, would be countless articles written about it :tearsofjoy:
The physical aggression he brings is sometimes at least borderline sanctionable (probably more), but it is exciting. The problem he has is he is unlikely to have a career more than 6 or 7 years if he keeps it up. He needs more to his game, the official would do him a favour by pulling him into line a bit, it might make him look to add more aspects to his play.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I was talking about Origin, hence I specified Trent NSW 2014.

Trent is a case in point in a way, he could be considered fortunate to have played SOO at all. But he earned a reputation for nailing key moments that better halfbacks like Ben Hunt would love to have.

Crichton is still more an athlete than a footy player, in my view, and I do agree with you that across the game other players were better. But still, he has nailed key attacking (clutch) plays before, this isn't the first time.
Lucky? Who were u going to pick? Pearce? Brooks? Soward? Best we had - because he didn't fck up. He did his job.

Crichton straight up cost Samoa two tries (one from intercept hunting straight up and the other some of the worst defending) and all is forgiven because the intercept hunting paid off?

Guess we agree to disagree but to me, Crichton is a liability. And thank goodness. If the Panties paid him what he's worth (maybe $250 - $300) instead of the $600 odd he's on, we wouldn't have Burton and Kikau.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He is unlikeable and cocky but take him out of that team and we are nowhere near the final. Playing well without an organising half makes his performance even better
I love what he brings, his energy levels are insane. I think you need a bit of arrogance to play at the highest level.

That who is your daddy meme is gold

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Do they become a tier one nation if they make the finals? Which ultimately disqualifies the Samoan players from playing origin?
No idea how it works.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don’t understand the hate for Luia and Cleary
Nothings has been said about Munster playing shit and playing shit for the storm last 8 weeks and finals for them
What those 2 have done the last 3 years is incredible
Tall poppy syndrome is all I can put it down too

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Don’t understand the hate for Luia and Cleary
Nothings has been said about Munster playing shit and playing shit for the storm last 8 weeks and finals for them
What those 2 have done the last 3 years is incredible
Tall poppy syndrome is all I can put it down too
Cop a L from Fulham

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's a fuckwit... Hated him ever since we played him/Roosters just before Barrett got sacked

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lucky? Who were u going to pick? Pearce? Brooks? Soward? Best we had - because he didn't fck up. He did his job.

Crichton straight up cost Samoa two tries (one from intercept hunting straight up and the other some of the worst defending) and all is forgiven because the intercept hunting paid off?

Guess we agree to disagree but to me, Crichton is a liability. And thank goodness. If the Panties paid him what he's worth (maybe $250 - $300) instead of the $600 odd he's on, we wouldn't have Burton and Kikau.
I wouldn't swap Crichton for any other centre in the world. His only defensive error he made was the herbie try. Only error i remember him making the whole world cup. I've watched every minute of Samoa's games. Your summation of him is way off the mark