Opinion For everyone who doesn’t buy the Thompson injury

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Anyone have a link to any info about Twal?

From everything I've heard Twal is nice bloke, I wish him the best. I suspect a lot of the blame for what happened to him lies with coaching staff. It has been the habit for a while for teams to mess about with the kicker on the basis that if you are going to commit a bloke to putting kick pressure, especially on a kick that is being made for meterage, then that player is unlikely to get back onside for the first 2 or 3 tackles. Therefore, at least have him take one of the opposition out of play for a tackle or two if he can do it legally. Putting the thought in the kickers head that he is going to end up flat on the ground if he takes too much time getting his kick away is a bonus.

And after Burton seemed to have half a century to kick the ball when we played Eels the round before, it was no doubt spoken about in particular among the tiggers group.

The problem for Twal is that Burton isn't some 180cm 80kg halfback like he'd usually come up against week in week out. He isn't far off 2m and 100kg. The other problem for Twal is the coaching that players get as mentioned above, to take the kicker out of play if at all possible. The coaching won't change until the reffing does, time for a change in the officiating to put an emphasis on the right of the kicker to be part of the kick chase (i.e. can run his team mates on side). If teams start getting penalised for taking the kicker to ground after he has cleanly kicked the ball, the tactic that lead to what happened to Twal will go the way of the Dodo.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone have a link to any info about Twal?

From everything I've heard Twal is nice bloke, I wish him the best. I suspect a lot of the blame for what happened to him lies with coaching staff. It has been the habit for a while for teams to mess about with the kicker on the basis that if you are going to commit a bloke to putting kick pressure, especially on a kick that is being made for meterage, then that player is unlikely to get back onside for the first 2 or 3 tackles. Therefore, at least have him take one of the opposition out of play for a tackle or two if he can do it legally. Putting the thought in the kickers head that he is going to end up flat on the ground if he takes too much time getting his kick away is a bonus.

And after Burton seemed to have half a century to kick the ball when we played Eels the round before, it was no doubt spoken about in particular among the tiggers group.

The problem for Twal is that Burton isn't some 180cm 80kg halfback like he'd usually come up against week in week out. He isn't far off 2m and 100kg. The other problem for Twal is the coaching that players get as mentioned above, to take the kicker out of play if at all possible. The coaching won't change until the reffing does, time for a change in the officiating to put an emphasis on the right of the kicker to be part of the kick chase (i.e. can run his team mates on side). If teams start getting penalised for taking the kicker to ground after he has cleanly kicked the ball, the tactic that lead to what happened to Twal will go the way of the Dodo.
Mate it was a pure accident and most likely an isolated event that very rarely will happen again. I just think it was pure bad luck that incident.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Mate it was a pure accident and most likely an isolated event that very rarely will happen again. I just think it was pure bad luck that incident.
In hindsight it was bound to happen, and the main reason it hasn't happened so far is because usually the bloke kicking the ball is small. But personally I'm sick to death of seeing kickers left on their back even though there wasn't a hand laid on them until a good second or two (sometimes even more) after the ball has been launched. Sometimes the player putting pressure on the kicker just strolls on up and puts the bloke into a bear hug, it is so blatantly obvious what they are being coached to do, and so easily rectified.

It is hard to know if players are going to hesitate from now on to go on with things with Burto when he kicks the ball, like Twal tried to do, given what happened to Twal. It was noticeable that the tigers players really backed down for the rest of the game, but you just know that some idiot from another team is going to take this as a challenge and try and get stuck into Burton later in the season.

Best kick pressure player I've ever seen was Steve Price, bloke put real pressure on the kicker and rarely laid a hand on them.

QLDdogsfan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
That Zub Twal made his bed now sleep in it. He tried to hurt Burton and the dud hurt himself.

Zero sympathy tbh. Not going to pretend I care about an opposition player doing a grubby act then getting hurt.

What if the zub did hurt Burton?
What's a Zub bro im lost :tearsofjoy:

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
All credit to the club and medical staff for the way they are professionally handling Luke concussion, we cannot thank them enough ! the lads been struggling with severe headaches coincidentally since he clashed heads with Alex Twal in the previous game with the tigers and we all witnessed what happened to him 2 mins into the game at the weekend, hopefully speedy recovery Alex

Always a bulldog !

Malla

Reaction score
Thompson is not a backrower ffs. For whatever little upside people perceive in attack, defensively he would become a bigger liabilty than slippery floors in supermarkets or uneven footpaths in Ryde
He's either an oversized back or an undersized forward
Shit fuck

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If he's not playing due to concussion with the stigma it has there should be grounds to medically retire him, saying that we aren't Souths who can magically do things at the drop of a hat. I don't wish anything bad on the guy, I just think he is way over paid and needs to get off our books so we can move forward for once.
For the NRL to medially retire a player that player firstly has to agree to be medically retired. Does anyone really think that Thompson would agree to be medially retired at this time, after one incident, maybe if it was multiples.

Always a Bulldog

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Will the day come when the NRL makes headgear mandatory?