Michael Potter announced as interim Head Coach of the Bulldogs...

dogbone

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I thought Potter did a pretty good job at the Tigers in very trying circumstances with Benji and Farah at the time. If he is serious about being a first grade coach this is a great opportunity for him. It will be very interesting to see what he can do with this squad that I believe is no worse than at least half a dozen others.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have today announced that Michael Potter will take over as interim Head Coach until the end of this season.

That announcment is either another Gus smoke screen or we are not appointing Flannagan. If Flanagan is to get the job it would be now or in a week or 2, not next season...

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs have today announced that Michael Potter will take over as interim Head Coach until the end of this season.

That announcment is either another Gus smoke screen or we are not appointing Flannagan. If Flanagan is to get the job it would be now or in a week or 2, not next season...
i think a new coach would take over next season imo

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Only 10 rounds in and when we are trying to avoid consecutive spoons? We need results ASAP for the entire club and teams sake and confidence, we cannot just rely on a good offseason to bounce back from 2 spoons and we need a reason for Burton to believe we are on the up.

Doge

Kennel Established
Reaction score

No way a new coach takes over now. it won’t be until the end of the season.

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Michael Potter announced as interim Head Coach of the Bulldogs

Potter, who is currently the Head Coach of the Mounties side in the NSW Cup, will move into the Bulldogs role immediately.

Potter, has a major history with the club, having been part of the Bulldogs' Premiership winning sides of 1984 and 1985.

He then made a successful transition into Head Coaching roles with the Catalan Dragons (2006-08), St Helens (2009-10), Bradford Bulls (2011-12) and the Wests Tigers (2013-14).

Bulldogs General Manager of Football, Phil Gould, was pleased to have someone of Potter's experience taking charge for the rest of the season:

"It is great to have a genuine legend returning to the club. Michael has extensive experience in the game and will bring a new voice and new ideas to our players.

We really appreciate Michael stepping up to help our club at this time."

Potter was excited about the opportunity to help the club through an important period :

"I'm very honoured to be back at the Bulldogs. I wish it were under different circumstances as I've known Trent for a long time and I really feel for him.

I will do what I can to help the club at this time."

Hoping it's the St Helens Mick Potter 49/68 rather than the Tigers version 17/48.

Always a Bulldog
How good is that picture of Mick Potter, he truly looks proud to be wearing a Bulldogs uniform again. I know he’s here to help us, but I hope they treat him well. Respect goes both ways.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh not sure on the til end of season thing, can't really backflip on that now can they...
Mick should be ok in the chair albeit just a minder, I'm not expecting miracles or a massive turnaround really.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How good is that picture of Mick Potter, he truly looks proud to be wearing a Bulldogs uniform again. I know he’s here to help us, but I hope they treat him well. Respect goes both ways.
Still looks pretty fit too!

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Only 10 rounds in and when we are trying to avoid consecutive spoons? We need results ASAP for the entire club and teams sake and confidence, we cannot just rely on a good offseason to bounce back from 2 spoons and we need a reason for Burton to believe we are on the up.
TBH i dont think a new coach would want to come in now, they would want a full offseason and players. Potter will do a good job

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think if the Bulldogs want to get it right. They now don’t have to rush, they have an interim coach. They have until the end of the year. If Potter does well, he could also be considered. It will depend on how coaches adapt to the new generation of footy. I really wish Mick well.

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I Really hope he does well And the players respond to him we will see if it was Barrett coaching style or the players are really shit or a bit of both time will tell

WillieMasonFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Surely Furner goes now? He was never the assistant coach that Bulldog needed. Bulldog needed assistant that was energetic, high attention to detail, innovative thinker, etc. This guy is none of these things, he is just "steady as she goes" .....

DaBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have had a lot of success over the years with former Bulldog players, who end up coaching our club. I think that’s what has been lost over the last few coaches (other than Pay). Hasler was a Manly boy and Baz was a Dragons boy. I read that Jim Dymock is being spoken about from former Bulldog players. So hopefully they can get him back too.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Plenty of work to be done and trash to be put out before the real coach officially comes in.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Surely Furner goes now? He was never the assistant coach that Bulldog needed. Bulldog needed assistant that was energetic, high attention to detail, innovative thinker, etc. This guy is none of these things, he is just "steady as she goes" .....
He will be booted between now and preseason bro.

He is not wanted.