News ‘How did they let him go?’ Eels blasted for letting ’one of the great signings’ join Bulldogs

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Braith Anasta and Paul Crawley have questioned how the Eels could let arguably the second best hooker in the game in reed Mahoney join the Bulldogs in the prime of his career.

Mahoney will link with the Bulldogs on a lucrative three-year deal in 2023 and given his current form Crawley finds it hard to believe the Eels couldn’t find more money for him, given he plays such a crucial position.

“I can’t believe the Eels have let him go,” Crawley said on NRL 360.

You look at how hard Melbourne fought to keep Harry Grant when the Dolphins came charging for him.

When Mahoney went past Andrew McCullough the other night, McCullough looked like he was standing still, which is a real problem for the Dragons.

“Mahoney pulled off a 40/20. He backs up. He never stops thinking out there.

“He is up there in the class of Harry Grant I believe now and also Damien Cook among the elite hookers in the game.

“It is incredible that Parramatta haven’t found a way to keep him.”

Anasta agreed Mahoney is the second best rake in the game and questioned whether the Eels should have done more to hold onto his services.

I would probably only have Harry Grant ahead of him at the moment in the No.9 jersey he is playing that well,” Anasta said.

“How did they let him go? I know there was salary cap pressure. He gets a pay increase to go to the Dogs, which is a magnificent buy.

“Could they have kept him?”

In answering Anasta, Paul Kent pointed out that the Eels made re-signing their fullback over their hooker their priority due to salary cap pressure.

Cleary not,” Kent said when asked if the Eels could have kept Mahoney.

“They got Gutherson in the spine and they just had to renegotiate him. Mitch Moses is clearly there and Dylan Brown, who I think is a sensational player.

“They have got four players in the top half dozen for their position.

“The issue for Parramatta is they prioritised.

“Clearly they are happy with this, but they prioritised Gutherson ahead of Mahoney.

“Parramatta have made that decision and they are happy with it.”

On the flip side Crawley believes Mahoney could go down as one of the Bulldogs’ most important signings in their history.

“This guy only has Harry Grant ahead of him and you put him as No.2 hooker in the game,” Crawley said.

“In that respect for the Bulldogs, while they are going through a really tough time at the moment. Next year Burton is going to have this bloke beside him. He is going to have Kikau there.

“It could be one of the great signings in Canterbury’s history.”

The Daily Telegraph’s Dave Riccio backed up Kent in pointing out that the Eels had six stars coming off-contract and there was no way they could have kept all of them.

“In fairness to Parramatta you can’t keep them all,” Riccio said.

“They had to keep Junior Paulo. They have got Gutherson, Moses and Brown. Reagan Campbell-Gillard on big money.”

However, Anasta was quick to note that the premiership winning teams of the modern era all have class out of dummyhalf in common.

“If you look at the teams that win the competition these days it is very critical that you have a high quality No.9,” Anasta said.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just need him to stay fit this season, he is going to be key in our development into a top 8 team in his first 3 seasons with us.

And speaking of development, hopefully at junior level we are focusing on allowing players to think and play what they see in front of them, instead of being overly systems focused.

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its a long time between now and when reed is wearing our colors again, pretty confident we will win probably 6-8 games this year, hopefully behind the scenes gus is secretly working on signing a genuine half, just like he did with kiks and reed.

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Seriously good signing, he reads the play so well, always scheming and taking the right option most of the time, his kicking game is good too, will take pressure off our half’s.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel like someone a few years ago said Grant was good,
And now hes the best according to some nobodies.

Mahoney has a more complete game.
100% . Grant gives good service and is full of energy and dangerous running from DH, but has no kicking game and I'm not sure he has as good a support game like Mahoney. Reed is basically like Terry Lamb but wears the no.9.

Getting him back to the club for what we paid, is one of the best recruiting jobs I've seen by us. Brilliant signing.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm just waiting for all of the 360 muppets to say he should backflip

Mitchellmoses

Banned
Reaction score
The top 5 hookers today in order as of 2022:
1. Grant
2. Mahoney
3. Korisau
4. Egan
5. Cook

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Reed has been on fire this year, hope he stays fit and plays a lot of football this year for the eels. So excited to have a genuine DH coming to the club, he will have a massive positive impact on our attack regardless of who the coach is.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We know he has talent. But he could come here, the next “BIG thing” an then turn to shit. It’s happening this year with two major signings, so it’s very very nerv racking, yes We know how “good” he is, Yet he hasn’t played a game for us yet. Could be a totally different story, end up less than average.. aka the fox and burton.!!!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
In this modern era of contracts being toilet paper I accept it when they are in pre-season training, wearing our clothes and photographic evidence to support it. Fingers crossed.

Watching him kick that 40/20 the other night though, with him and Burto in the same team the kicking game should be crazy! Be great to have a proper hooker too of course lol.

Last edited: