Scruffy but some good signs

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
While you're pointing out that they didn't attack our right hand side more, it also surprised me that we tended to spread the ball to Burns and Okunbor most frequently when in good field position. That was something I saw and was wondering about in our second trial. I'm not sure if it's part of a plan or if it's just a slight deficiency in our hooker and halves (a preference for passing right). Hopefully we see more even distribution of the ball in the weeks ahead. It's no use spending good coin on Naden and JAC if they're rarely going to be used in good attacking positions.
Or the third option is that they saw a deficiency on the Cowboys left hand side they wanted to exploit.

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Disagree tough conditions we had a few disallowed tries but we moved the ball better and shape is improving. If they can build more confidence the combinations will improve
Yes we scored 3 tries today

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
JMK has trouble passing right to left. Havent you noticed that?.
I actually planned to do some comparison between the passing game of Mahoney and JMK today but got lost on checking out our new players. But I noticed last year that we habitually went to the right often.

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
We won't be challenging for the premiership this year and There's alot of improvements needed, however it's a step in the right direction, this teams had such a losing mentality over the last 5 years so it's not gonna change overnight. Any wins a good win at this stage and we'll be better for it in the long run.
And it started all our weeks off with a good feeling

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If it wasn’t for burtons boot we probably would have lost. Got us out of trouble with a couple of huge punts downfield. And it helped us with field position.
We DEFINITELY would have lost. Imagine it was Flanagan kicking. We may as well could have wrapped that ball in cotton wool and handed it to the other side with the 1-dimensional 5th tackle soft kicks we were dishing out last year. The height and float on Burton’s kicks allowed us to pin the opposition in their own half, as opposed to giving them a free pass to our end. And w won because of a corner conversion which we for sure would have missed last season

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I missed the game and I am reading the comments just now. It seems to me JaC has a quiet game. Is anyone able to give me a quick brief on how he did.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I missed the game and I am reading the comments just now. It seems to me JaC has a quiet game. Is anyone able to give me a quick brief on how he did.
He didn't have a quiet game, was involved and pretty vocal. His early tackle carries were mostly ineffective though, got smashed a bit and had a slow play the ball. He did make a break but never really hit full stride and then dropped the ball when he got tackled. He was really good in defence though

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
He didn't have a quiet game, was involved and pretty vocal. His early tackle carries were mostly ineffective though, got smashed a bit and had a slow play the ball. He did make a break but never really hit full stride and then dropped the ball when he got tackled. He was really good in defence though
This difference in is positional play on defence vs okunbum is chalk n cheese

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
As somebody mentioned here before NQL are a bottom four team and we only scored 1 try against them, our big test is against teams like penrith, souths, melb etc then we will see how doggies shine

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the weather conditions were atrocious.
Humidity went through the roof and we could see with Vaughn makeing mistakes because of it.
You will notice he was takeing hit ups holding the pill with two hands second half.
Hetherington and Wadell both had shockers first half and I still think they both have more downside than up.
Hetherington defence out wide is terrible.
Second half was much better.
Next game v broncos will be much better to gauge our attack hoping for a dry track.
Go dogs

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We have a long way to go, but there were definitely some good signs. Once the ref got out of the game our forwards really dominated, which is always a decent effort in NQ against NQ in March!

Good to see Avo, Burto, and the Duff combining in a variety of ways. We need some depth in our line so that our spine can give our outside backs some more opportunity, but it is understandable that at the moment we are playing conservative. With more forward dominance, building combinations, and growing confidence, it isn't hard to see that stuff start to happen.

But that is why Gus is saying to be patient, it isn't going to happen overnight.
It was very wet up this way, so im sure we went into the game with a conservative game plan. I hope we will show a lot more enterprise on a dru track.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They kicked to him all game, so he handled the ball a lot, but didn't doo too much with it. Dufty made a half break from our own end, and passed to JAC, who ran another 30m and lost the ball when he was tackled by Hammer.
Other then that, he challenged a call of dropped ball, and won the challenge, and was super animated, yelling at his team mates, "no rest boys, lets go" or something to that effect. He was fired up, and wanted to lead the boys.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
- I like JMK but his service needs to be quicker, that would almost make us a fringe 8 team.
- Need to get BBO on earlier, not saying we take JMK off. Maybe we take Jacko off and play with two hookers. Patolo or the 17 jersey then becomes a bench edge.
- JAC I hate to say it was a bit of a pussy out of yardage.
- Averillo will get there, less pressure on kicking means he can focus on his wrap around plays and running
- Burns keeps his position from that try setup.
- Schoupp to slot in if either Burns or Naden unavailable.

1 Dufty
2 Ok
3 Burns
4 Naden
5 JAC
6 Burton
7 Averillo
8 Ava
9 JMK
10 Vaughan
11 Hetherington
12 TPJ
13 Jackson

14 BBO
15 Thompson
16 King
17 Patolo/Topine

18 Schoupp/Corey Allan (if available)

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Broncos will flog us?

Cowboys comfortably beat the Broncos in week 2 of trials with both sides at near full strength.

More like if he was a metre back. He was WAY offside, and amazingly was one of the few times they got pinged way offside tonight. Their defence was often well in front of the ref.

We also had two clear tries disallowed.
Broncos beat the Bunnies 11-4.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
If it wasn’t for burtons boot we probably would have lost. Got us out of trouble with a couple of huge punts downfield. And it helped us with field position.

I think it was a gutsy win and showed character. Cowboys might be wooden spooners or they might be semi finalist. We won’t know the quality in us or them until we can a few more games into the season.

My biggest concern and the worst thing about our game plan is we burn 3-4 tackles coming out of our own end on outside backs hit ups (jac, burns, naden aren’t really big body meter eaters). And then when we are 10-15 out on the attack we are running forwards at the line for 3-4 plays.

I wish our forwards would get back on side quicker to help us get more yardage coming out of our own end. And I wish we’d have better plays then 1 out hit ups or a string of passes to a forward turning back in the middle of the field. For a team with Burton, jac, naden, dufty they don’t seem to get much ball 10 out.
I feel the same, but in the wet, holding onto the ball is essential.
We saw how JAC easily lost the ball after a brilliant run, because of the slippery conditions. On a dry track, that could have led to a try.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
They kicked to him all game, so he handled the ball a lot, but didn't doo too much with it. Dufty made a half break from our own end, and passed to JAC, who ran another 30m and lost the ball when he was tackled by Hammer.
Other then that, he challenged a call of dropped ball, and won the challenge, and was super animated, yelling at his team mates, "no rest boys, lets go" or something to that effect. He was fired up, and wanted to lead the boys.
His enthusiasm will be catching as the team settles in.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I mean is that the offside had nothing substantively to do with Dufty being out jumped. It was a complete fluke that someone happened to be offside. The offside had no impact on our teams failure to stop that try. We got exposed there
Who gives a fuck they made a fundamental error, and Dufty was outjumped on a good kick with a good chase it wasn’t like he wilted plenty of fullbacks get out jumped there I thought Dufty was very good at the back