The I’m sorry Jayden Okunbor thread

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much is he on? Honestly don't know.
I think $250k.

He made a huge difference mate. I am not saying he is a great player but Dufty and JAC got monstered tonight. I though Okonbur saved a lot of sets.

I get the hate on here for blokes like him and Waddell but their contract value needs to be taken into account.

Thompson on $800k played like a $350k player. Okonbur played above his value. Jacko plays like a $400k player but with cap relief the probably doesn’t cost much more.

Flanno and Wakeham on $700k between them played like me and you lol

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Thankfully they did not follow the sharks gameplan last week
He played sh!t last week but our whole team was sh!t.

The way Okunbor ran tonight, if those kicks had gone to him instead of JAC he would have run for twice as many metres as he did.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I'll give you the merit on the errors. Okunbor had no errors vs JAC's 1 error. And Okunbor had no missed tackles vs JAC's two missed tackles.

But JAC also had more touches, made more metres, and had more of an impact on the game. JAC defused 3 kicks vs Okunbor's zero. Made 6 passes vs Okunbor's one pass.

Okunbor wasn't terrible tonight. He just wasn't exciting. But that's a good thing as he generally makes errors everytime he tries to be exciting.
That’s completely untrue. As @PE Teacher 21 said, he usually has a few errors in his first few games, then becomes a pretty solid player after that.

Last year he scored one of the tries of the season, snd even though tonight’s try was more down to burns, he showed good skill snd agility to put it down in the field of play after going through what was a pretty narrow corridor. It was good wing play.

He also made tough metres out of our own end all night, but some people still insist on finding reasons to criticise him.

I’m not trying to beg out JAC. His involvement was great and his effort was excellent. But he did make a few errors….and on a few occasions he didn’t really back himself when he had a sniff of a try scoring opportunity. Okunbor was the better of the two tonight.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I think $250k.

He made a huge difference mate. I am not saying he is a great player but Dufty and JAC got monstered tonight. I though Okonbur saved a lot of sets.

I get the hate on here for blokes like him and Waddell but their contract value needs to be taken into account.

Thompson on $800k played like a $350k player. Okonbur played above his value. Jacko plays like a $400k player but with cap relief the probably doesn’t cost much more.

Flanno and Wakeham on $700k between them played like me and you lol
All of us just want players to do their job, if they do then we can't talk shit.

I'm not a fan of his but he did his job tonight so good on him.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
That’s completely untrue. As @PE Teacher 21 said, he usually has a few errors in his first few games, then becomes a pretty solid player after that.

Last year he scored one of the tries of the season, snd even though tonight’s try was more down to burns, he showed good skill snd agility to put it down in the field of play after going through what was a pretty narrow corridor. It was good wing play.

He also made tough metres out of our own end all night, but some people still insist on finding reasons to criticise him.

I’m not trying to beg out JAC. His involvement was great and his effort was excellent. But he did make a few errors….and on a few occasions he didn’t really back himself when he had a sniff of a try scoring opportunity. Okunbor was the better of the two tonight.
This I think causes criticism, we know he CAN do it but we hardly see it. Or we see it then he lets in 3 tries.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Credit to the oks. He did his job of making meters out of our own end and didn't make too many costly errors. I'd be seriously questioning Todd paytens coaching if i were a cowboys fan, not one bomb went the way of one if the worst pair of hands in the comp! What was their strategy? Try to tire fox by constantly kicking the ball to him?

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Revenge of the Rastafarian.

JO was crucial with some of his early set runs to get us out of trouble. Seems like the **** eats it up when it's wet, because he doesn't drop any in poor conditions. Just like the miracle try he pulled off last year.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Agree with pretty much all you've written. On that last paragraph, I think JAC would have scored if he'd gone for the corner and hadn't tried to go back inside tonight.

End of the day this wasn't a great win, but for a team with 8 players debuting in our 17 a scrappy win is more than acceptable. Okunbor played a decent role in the win.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This I think causes criticism, we know he CAN do it but we hardly see it. Or we see it then he lets in 3 tries.
IMO his hands are always going to be a problem that props up from time to time.

But on the flip side his physical characteristics bring things other teams don't have.

I liken him to Daniel Tupou. Tupou years ago had massive problems with his hands but his yardage was always vital for roosters. Then one season his hands clicked and it stayed clicked

Who knows if OK has the same thing happen to him but his physical traits do bring something. It's just a question do we persist and keep a track of the risk/benefit trade off

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Every time cowboys conceded their 5th tackle on their left edge, i breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that they weren't going to kick to his side on the next play but to JAC side.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

One error from JAC (according to the official stats) which was his drop ball after the line break. I'm not saying Okunbor was bad, he was just fairly unnoticeable other than the try. But that could come down to the Cowboys not kicking to him.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One error from JAC (according to the official stats) which was his drop ball after the line break. I'm not saying Okunbor was bad, he was just fairly unnoticeable other than the try. But that could come down to the Cowboys not kicking to him.
He had some good strong runs and got away a good offload,scored a try and was error free. I thought he played well.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yep we need the chief hater crew(aka Finchie and Fear The Roo come to mind)to come on and say "we love you Jayden" :hearteyes:
I will admit I have over done it with my negativity towards Okonbor.
Its not nice to stick the boot into someone all the time.
I really do hope he doesn't ready any of my comments.
That being said,
He screwed up with his first involvement of the day in attack.
He was lucky the cowboys were stupid and didn't bomb his side all game.
He won't get that lucky every week.
Other teams will exploit his weaknesses.

And the hate train will again gain momentum again.

I'm going to try relax a bit with the hate though.
I have no doubt he is trying his best.
I'm more angry that our club offered him another contract. But that's another story.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Agree with pretty much all you've written. On that last paragraph, I think JAC would have scored if he'd gone for the corner and hadn't tried to go back inside tonight.

End of the day this wasn't a great win, but for a team with 8 players debuting in our 17 a scrappy win is more than acceptable. Okunbor played a decent role in the win.
Not yo mention the four players we lost to HIAs. It was ugly as guts, but also a win full of guts. I was impressed with the level of commitment we showed. Cheers Alan, nice to see a lot of people giving Ok credit for what was a really strong game from him.