News Jake Averillo vows to silence critics and lock down Bulldogs’ No.7 spot

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m torn on Jake. Players and coaches all seem to sing his praises like he is something extra special but then the eye test during games i can’t really see it yet.
Maybe you need glasses?

Always a Bullog

Malla

Reaction score
Footy ability aside, because I am sure he is a capable footballer.

He seems too tentative. He does not come across as a confident guy. You look at our forward pack and backs (ie. Dufty, Addo Carr, Naden, TPJ, Thompson) - we need a half that's going to demand things from them and tell them to shut the fuck up and get in position. Does not help that our hooker is also a introverted mouse.

Last edited:

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe you need glasses?

Always a Bullog
Turn it up Twin. Maybe you need to take your rose coloured glasses off. Reports are that Jake has ‘out of the box’ super talents and I don’t dispute that at all. I just haven’t seen much of it YET. I hope jakes talents translate from training drills and into the real nrl games.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd prefer him to just do well on field and accept praise afterwards. But there's been a lot of talk about him not being the one for the 7 jersey here and in the media. So I hope he's said all this because he's a bit pissed off and determined to show he's up to it.

For the most part a good halfback will confidently direct the team around verbally. You can't blame a 21 year old for lacking that confidence early on. I hope he's progressed in that regard over the offseason. But at this point the proof is in the pudding. Show it on field and the fans and media will be silent.

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Story from Daily Telegraph

A defiant Jake Averillo has vowed to silence his halfback detractors and insists he is the long-term answer in the No.7 jumper at Canterbury.

Coach Trent Barrett has opted to start the season with two five-eighths in the halves, youngster Averillo and Matt Burton.

But as running players, the similarities in their respective games have left the likes of Braith Anasta, who helped the Bulldogs to a title in 2004, and Wests Tigers great Benji Marshall questioning if the Bulldogs are missing out on an organising halfback with Averillo at No.7.

Averillo has heard the criticism and is preparing to prove the naysayers wrong, starting against North Queensland on Sunday.

“I think you will be seeing a very different game from me on the weekend,” Averillo said. “I’m going to be getting myself into better positions to make my mark on the game.

“I’ve already looked at my game from my past two trial matches.

“I know I’ve needed a few tweaks … and I have been putting that out on the training paddock already this week. It’s about getting my hands on the ball, playing to my strengths, receiving the ball where I like it and need it to be.

“I think that will get me into the game a bit more and give me confidence.”

Despite having career halfbacks Kyle Flanagan, Brandon Wakeham and Bailey Biondi-Odo as options, Barrett has put his faith in local junior Averillo.

Averillo, who is signed at Belmore until the end of season 2023, is working on his game management skills, not only to repay Barrett but to nail down the halfback spot into the future.

“I think I’m capable,” Averillo said. “I’m only young and I’m learning tough lessons but the main thing is I’m determined to learn from them and that is only going to make me a better player.”

The 21-year old made his debut in the NRL from the bench and was then shifted into the centres. However, Averillo is committed to making a go of it in the Bulldogs’ spine.

Fullback is another option for Averillo beyond this season given new recruit Matt Dufty is only on a one-year deal at Belmore.

“I don’t see myself in the outside backs,” Averillo said. “I’m definitely in the spine. The No.7 is my spot at the moment and I want to make it mine.”

Turning around Canterbury’s attacking woes will help Averillo cement a place in the halves.

Over the past five seasons, Canterbury has had one of the least effective attacks, finishing with the least tries in the competition in 2021, 2019 and 2017 and second least in 2020 and 2018.

The struggle for points continued in the Bulldogs’ 30-6 loss to Cronulla in week two of the trials. However, Averillo believes Canterbury’s new-look side, which will include eight club debutants against the Cowboys, has enough strike power to deliver “20 points a game”.

“If we can cut down the errors and tighten up our discipline and give ourselves a few more opportunities on the tryline, we have a good 20 points in us each game easily, I reckon,” Averillo said.

“We have attacking flare all over the park. We can create something out of nothing.

“If you look at the trial game against the Knights, and it was similar against the Sharks, we scored two runaway tries, and three for the whole game.”
I believe he can do it, give him this year to prove it

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He's got the talent there, just needs to kick on. Development of our players with potential hasn't been great over the last few years.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I want the best for every player that pulls on the dogs jersey and I really hope he can do what he says but deep down I don't think he's the answer., neither is Flanno or Wakeham.

We've solved one issue with Reed coming next year but there's still two questions in the spine with the fullback and halfback, the coming weeks will tell us alot.
Hmmm yeah Averillo is not going to be the structured organising halfback, however I am not sure we need that with the direction we will have from DH next season with Mahoney. I guess we will need to wait and see how this season pans out. If we get a little more direction with Cook at DH and the teams starts playing better of that then it may be a sign of things to come the following season.