Your Halfback?

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a theory of how Gus is thinking. I believe Gus wants to give Flanagan the 7. Avo has had enough chances for us to see he isn't a 7.... but rather a centre or FB. You don't weaken 6 to move Burton to 7.
I have a feeling, seeing Gus sitting separately to the coaching staff at Newcastle that he's deliberately keeping his distance to give Barrett and other coaches clean air to make a combination work for us.
After round 12 say if we still look directionless and can't win games then I strongly believe Gus approaches either Green or Flanagan to coach us and we cut Barrett. As coach Flanagan is in the mix, Gus doesn't want bad blood by us not giving Kyle a fair go. Could coach Flanagan get more out of his son? Kyle is a natural 7....he just needs polish and confidence which will come naturally with wins. Hence this week is Avos last chance to impress as a 7....and if he doesn't, Gus will be pushing hard for Flanagan to be our 7 come round 1.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a theory of how Gus is thinking. I believe Gus wants to give Flanagan the 7. Avo has had enough chances for us to see he isn't a 7.... but rather a centre or FB. You don't weaken 6 to move Burton to 7.
I have a feeling, seeing Gus sitting separately to the coaching staff at Newcastle that he's deliberately keeping his distance to give Barrett and other coaches clean air to make a combination work for us.
After round 12 say if we still look directionless and can't win games then I strongly believe Gus approaches either Green or Flanagan to coach us and we cut Barrett. As coach Flanagan is in the mix, Gus doesn't want bad blood by us not giving Kyle a fair go. Could coach Flanagan get more out of his son? Kyle is a natural 7....he just needs polish and confidence which will come naturally with wins. Hence this week is Avos last chance to impress as a 7....and if he doesn't, Gus will be pushing hard for Flanagan to be our 7 come round 1.
Kyle is not a natural 7. He has no vision, creativity or awareness. He's a robot who just catches and passes and then bombs on the last.

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuck no

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How are Flanagan and wakeham game managers? Which games did they successfully manage for us? I can’t think of any.
I think it’s just a stereotype that halves who don’t have a running game are labelled “game managers”. If you actually think about it, neither wakeham or Flanno do anything better than Jake. Jake is just known for his running game, and even though he hasn’t done much at HB, you can’t say anyone else has done more to prove they’re better At any aspect.

btw the games wakeham played before the covid incident were at 5/8 outside jake , not halfback. Flanno was asscheeks every time he played
>"I think it’s just a stereotype that halves who don’t have a running game are labelled “game managers”.
Spot on. I was about to post the same thing until I came across your post.

Hound Dog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Josh Jackson, or put him first 20 each half, then BBO

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
The important thing to remember is that Flanagan wasn't as lost at the Roosters as he then was with us. Sure Roosters cut him because they had Walker coming through. But he had some passable games for the Roosters during that season....which was the first year Cronk wasn't there. So surrounded by better natural born ball runners this year than he'd had last year with us, why couldn't Flanagan show improvement....he's more of a 7 than Avo will ever be....and his father can coach.....which may be relevant to us.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The important thing to remember is that Flanagan wasn't as lost at the Roosters as he then was with us. Sure Roosters cut him because they had Walker coming through. But he had some passable games for the Roosters during that season....which was the first year Cronk wasn't there. So surrounded by better natural born ball runners this year than he'd had last year with us, why couldn't Flanagan show improvement....he's more of a 7 than Avo will ever be....and his father can coach.....which may be relevant to us.

Lets not forget that robinson dropped flanagan not far out from the finals.. He was brought back in because his replacements got injured fast, The dogs signed him with major red flags it was wishful thinking from barrett hoping that this kid had the goods(also desperate).
The roosters didnt flick him because sam walker was ready he was far from ready they flicked him because they figured out that he was shit.

Last edited:

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bro stephen hawking would’ve got a few dally m votes in that roosters side they were unbeatable

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My HB is Barrett. If Foran is still playing surely Barrett can captain coach for 1 season.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
>"I think it’s just a stereotype that halves who don’t have a running game are labelled “game managers”.
Spot on. I was about to post the same thing until I came across your post.
Adam Reynolds is the perfect example, he barely runs but his kicking game and talk is exceptional.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam Reynolds is the perfect example, he barely runs but his kicking game and talk is exceptional.
Reynolds has vision and can throw the money ball to put players into holes and has good short kicking game to get repeat sets. Reynolds runs when the situation calls for it.
Flanno and co don't have that ability and just throw pedestrian passes, just bomb on the last and kick the ball dead.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
>"The important thing to remember is that Flanagan wasn't as lost at the Roosters as he then was with us.."
You cannot be serious. He had Cronk as a mentor, a star half in Keary leading the way and was surrounded by a star studded team and a rep quality backline to help him and give him every opportunity to look good and yet he still failed.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
What would happen if they actually moved Burton to half, JMK 5/8 and Wakeham hooker?
Yeah knew you would hate it

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
WARRIORS PLAYMAKER SHOPS HIMSELF TO NRL RIVALS

Out of favour Warriors playmaker Chanel Harris-Tavita has put him in the shop window for a move away from the club.

The Daily Telegraph’s Brent Read reported the Warriors playmaker’s management has sent a letter to clubs to gauge their interest in picking up his client’s services.

Harris-Tavita is off-contract at the end of the 2022 season and the Warriors are yet to make him an offer for an extension.

“Harris-Tavita’s manager sent an email out to clubs last week,” Read said on triple M.

“He has sort of been on the outer there a little bit in the past year or so.

“They haven’t offered him a new deal. He looks like he will play fullback in Round 1 with Reece Walsh out.

“He is a good versatile player so I’m sure he will find some interest elsewhere. He is too good to be on the scrap heap.

“He is a good enough player to get a start somewhere else. It is strange because he has done a pretty serviceable job there when he has got the chance.

“I’m sure someone will look to pick him up.”

Benji Marshall believes Harris-Tavita is an excellent prospect given the lack of quality halves across the competition.

“They have signed four halves so there is obviously not a spot for him to fit in there,” Marshall said.

“If I was him I would be looking for somewhere else to go as well.

“If I was looking for someone to control a game. Halves and good halves are hard to come by these days so he is definitely someone you would be looking at.

“But worrying signs from the Warriors as well.”

The 22-year-old has scored six tries in 37 games since his debut in 2019 and has played one Test for Samoa.

CQDog

Kennel Legend
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
WARRIORS PLAYMAKER SHOPS HIMSELF TO NRL RIVALS

Out of favour Warriors playmaker Chanel Harris-Tavita has put him in the shop window for a move away from the club.

The Daily Telegraph’s Brent Read reported the Warriors playmaker’s management has sent a letter to clubs to gauge their interest in picking up his client’s services.

Harris-Tavita is off-contract at the end of the 2022 season and the Warriors are yet to make him an offer for an extension.

“Harris-Tavita’s manager sent an email out to clubs last week,” Read said on triple M.

“He has sort of been on the outer there a little bit in the past year or so.

“They haven’t offered him a new deal. He looks like he will play fullback in Round 1 with Reece Walsh out.

“He is a good versatile player so I’m sure he will find some interest elsewhere. He is too good to be on the scrap heap.

“He is a good enough player to get a start somewhere else. It is strange because he has done a pretty serviceable job there when he has got the chance.

“I’m sure someone will look to pick him up.”

Benji Marshall believes Harris-Tavita is an excellent prospect given the lack of quality halves across the competition.

“They have signed four halves so there is obviously not a spot for him to fit in there,” Marshall said.

“If I was him I would be looking for somewhere else to go as well.

“If I was looking for someone to control a game. Halves and good halves are hard to come by these days so he is definitely someone you would be looking at.

“But worrying signs from the Warriors as well.”

The 22-year-old has scored six tries in 37 games since his debut in 2019 and has played one Test for Samoa.
I would rather see ron massey cup legend josh ralph play then this overrated player.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
CHT would make a handy hooker imo, not sure why he never played there.