News Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett reveals his plans for 2022

CCC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Time will tell. Its unfair to judge him on last years shit show tbh. If he fails this year, then so be it.
Agree. The Dogs also had a new coach managing a shit roster with no GM. So doing 2 jobs to make year one a complete shit show. Let’s see what both players and coach do this year with the right support in place and some fresh faces.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was always taught that attack is the best form of defence.
One of the greatest coaches ever, Warren Ryan believed you can defend 1 try to win a game... Dogs of war !
I know the game was different then but his defence structure forced the hierarchy to change the rules.
Until now many new and successful coaches approach him for advice..I salute you Wok :-)

Last edited:

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Age is one factor but it’s not helping the solution.

BBO is the one that is a natural 7 but he needs a season in reggies to build a foundation against men.

Wakeham is probably the most stable option but on the whole he offers little.

Flanagan, well is Flanagan reserve grade if not park footballer on massive money.

Averillo (the man who will wear 7)is not a 7. I like him as a player but he is a running 6 at best. He had the best run of games of anyone last year and showed nothing. He doesn’t create and has a poor kick for a 7. Burton is the big bodied Centre/Five8 in the mould of Daley, Fittler, Barrett.
he needs a true organising 7.
If we went down the line of signing an Adam Reynolds style 7 Instead of Burton I would be happier seeing him as a 6..

As it stands Burton will lack punch because he won’t have a foil from his halves partner.
I agree on all your points but I think Wakeham will be the halfback, at least that is according to whispers.

Reactions: CMP

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thinking of DEFENCE
If we select questionable or lateraly weak defenders out-wide we will leak tries like a sieve !
Therefore I really hope we select a team that would defend first, attack will take care of it self !
To counter the problem I believe this line up will be most balanced.
* players with different defensive issues
1 Dufty *
2 Allen / Burns
3 Averillo * / Burns...If Averillo learns to defend, 2 problems solved
4 Naden *
5 JAC
6 Burton
7 Wakeham / Averillo *
8 Pangai jnr *....his lateral defence will force him into the middle
9 JMK
10 Vaughan
11 Hetherington *
12 Jackson....his defence will be needed on the edge
13 Thompson

14 Cook / Averillo * if Averillo doesn't make it in the starting 13
15 Suemanufagai
16 Patolo
17 Topine / King
We will have a better picture after the trials !!!
I agree - a lot of the squad have had defensive issues through their careers (Thomson Hetherington Schoup, Okunbor Naden Averillo Dufty)- whilst there is alot more individual attacking ability, defence could be an issue. Good coaching structures and attitude can make all the difference. Averillo did improve a lot last year defensively, Stimson did as well.

OT - how will Roosters go defensively with Walker and Keary?

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again I don’t think Baz is the answer we need a big time manager this interview to me seems like Baz doesn’t know how to bring confidence to the team confidence is a big thing

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some advice to Baz leave all the interviews and media Bs to Gus pls

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think averillo will start at 7 and play well with wakeham/bbo next in line
I lean the other way
Wakeham & BBO both equally talented young halves, BBO has a plus about his toughness !
Gus and literally every human on the planet knows we need a half,
Why do I get the feeling when Gus said we will develop our own he meant one of the above two ?
Another point, if he is confident about Flanagan or Averillo why did we get the Bears half ?
I believe 90% the decision is made...Gus knows !!!

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
In the centres the hardest to defend
he was defending one in from the centres and had all the edge forwards running at him, his defence was excellent last year. it improved out of sight and with more confidence this year he will only improve again, especially now he has bulked up, the kid is still growing

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone seen Wakeham training this year? Apparently he has come back with a new attitude - has that been reflected on the paddock?

It's surprising to see him being mentioned as a possibility for the 7 jersey as he looked so lethargic last year. I don't really care who plays 7 but I would have thought Avo and BBO would have been miles ahead of Wakeman based on his performances last year. To me he just looks way too slow to play in the halves (and he doesn't seem to have the other attributes a good 7 needs to make up for his lack of pace)

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree - a lot of the squad have had defensive issues through their careers (Thomson Hetherington Schoup, Okunbor Naden Averillo Dufty)- whilst there is alot more individual attacking ability, defence could be an issue. Good coaching structures and attitude can make all the difference. Averillo did improve a lot last year defensively, Stimson did as well.

OT - how will Roosters go defensively with Walker and Keary?
Great coaches believe, in defence you have to be able to trust the man next to you, for some players their defensive flaws are overlooked when gifted with brilliant attack, you can't have too many of them in the team !
As for the Rorters, I could only wish they totally ROT.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Great coaches believe, in defence you have to be able to trust the man next to you, for some players their defensive flaws are overlooked when gifted with brilliant attack, you can't have too many of them in the team !
As for the Rorters, I could only wish they totally ROT.
it is more about the defensive structures that they have in place and being able to trust those structures. Most teams these days are a sliding defence with the emphasis of not getting beat on the inside shoulder and the defender not going past the ball.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
he was defending one in from the centres and had all the edge forwards running at him, his defence was excellent last year. it improved out of sight and with more confidence this year he will only improve again, especially now he has bulked up, the kid is still growing
I definitely hope so, it means there will be a starting position for him in the centres and problem solved, you never know he could become our fullback if needed.