• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So will the next strain be even more contagious and less lethal?

Is there any way it will naturally become more lethal?
It could be either. There's a myth that viruses become less deadly and more contagious naturally. That often happens, but it's not a natural process. A less deadly/more contagious virus will usually spread easier because it's not killing the host, but there's nothing to stop a virus from mutating to be more deadly and more contagious.

The only thing really holding it back is if a virus is too deadly then it won't spread because it'll kill the host before it spreads. This is generally what happens with Ebola. Different strains have different levels virulence (deadliness), but they are all high and range between 40% - 90% chance of killing the host. So most people die before they spread it.

Greenmachine121

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It could be either. There's a myth that viruses become less deadly and more contagious naturally. That often happens, but it's not a natural process. A less deadly/more contagious virus will usually spread easier because it's not killing the host, but there's nothing to stop a virus from mutating to be more deadly and more contagious.

The only thing really holding it back is if a virus is too deadly then it won't spread because it'll kill the host before it spreads. This is generally what happens with Ebola. Different strains have different levels virulence (deadliness), but they are all high and range between 40% - 90% chance of killing the host. So most people die before they spread it.
Imagine we got Ebola instead and they followed the same logic applied currently … I’m joking of course but sheesh would people bitch about restrictions then ? I bet they would

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Imagine we got Ebola instead and they followed the same logic applied currently … I’m joking of course but sheesh would people bitch about restrictions then ? I bet they would
Seeing how society is acting over covid, Straya would crumble within a few days if Ebola hit.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It could be either. There's a myth that viruses become less deadly and more contagious naturally.
Which is why the medical and scientific community are cautious when a new strain emerges and insist on maintaining some kind of community control (eg masks and check ins) until we find out the details of the strain. But the people in control obviously ignore all medical opinion.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Which is why the medical and scientific community are cautious when a new strain emerges and insist on maintaining some kind of community control (eg masks and check ins) until we find out the details of the strain. But the people in control obviously ignore all medical opinion.
Speaking of new strain ,whoaaaa the one i snapped off the thismorning

Status
Not open for further replies.