Dan Ferris consolidated thread

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
G’Day,
Thank you for making a genuine and thoughtful out response, rather than simply baiting.

My original argument that you cannot blame the Bulldogs poor performances, and say he can’t do the job he is employed to do because he isn’t trim still stands. If they aren’t fit enough then sure, he should fall on his own sword, but that won’t be because of his own weight. I’ll say no more on that as I’m tired of rebuking a couple of humans on here.

I will agree with just about everything you’d said. No problem with it. It’s a results based industry and the results at the Bulldogs have been poor for far too long. But the roster that Barrett and Co had last year, and Pay the years prior, were poor ones. Bellamy, Robinson, Bennett, even bloody Gibson wouldn’t have had success. Sure, it probably would’ve been a little better, but not bloody much. They’d have been able to attract players, but if they were simply coaching from the same talent pool that Pay and Barrett had/have- they’d have still had poor years.

I will disagree with Mr Gould and say that I don’t believe fitness and defence are the Bulldogs BIGGEST deficiencies. Sure, both are bad, as is their attack, but the biggest failing at the Bulldogs, just my opinion, is in recruitment and development, and that is an area he has had success.

I hope he is able to implement at Canterbury what he did at Penrith, The Roosters, and then Penrith again in regard to recruitment and redevelopment. But let’s not forget that’s not just the Gould way, it was actually the Canterbury way. It’s something I’ve little doubt he learned through his time at the Bulldogs, and it’s something that has been lost for about the last 15 years.

I can only draw on about 40 years of following the Bulldogs so I can’t comment on the sides of the late 1930- early 1940’s. But when I think about the periods that the Bulldogs were true powerhouses of the competition, the team was largely built around footballers that had had been developed through their system. Think the sides of the late 1970’s up to and including 1995, and the early 2000’s through to about 2006. I don’t count the years of 2012 and 2014 as great successes despite making the grand finals. Both sides had good years and possessed some handy players, but were easily outclassed on the day. By then, under Hasler, the Club already moved away from the old Canterbury approach of recruitment and development, instead preferring to buy in talent. The bandaid approach. And look how that’s ended up. We’re still suffering because of it.

Some might argue that you can’t do that anymore due to the salary cap, but Melbourne do it, the Roosters do it, and now the Panthers do it. That’s what I hope Gould is able to reintroduce to the Bulldogs.
\

I don’t mean to be a downer, but I don’t see 2022 being the raging success some do. It’s got to be an improvement, no doubt, and if it is not, then they should all be cleaned out. More realistically, I think from 2023 is the more reasonable time frame to demand success.

Yes, there’s been some good recruitment. Burton has the potential to be the best buy the Dogs have made since T. Lamb. Similar ages, and both of them genuine footballers, not just athletes they’re trying to make into footballers (ala Averillo). Other than that, though, you’ve got a couple of dirt and diamonds players in Pangai Jr and Dufty, an aging front rower whose powers have been waning long before he held a BBQ at his place, a fringe outside back from the Panthers, and a quick, but small winger who has been lucky to have played out of Melbourne recently.

Given the cattle for next year, the new squad, the lack of quality in key positions, and the drawer, I think 9-12 is a realistic position to expect. I hope I am wrong.

Cheers
G'Day,
Let me congratulate you on your fine assumption of the club's predicament, be assured this is a Bulldogs fans forum and I believe people I mean all people should be treated with utmost respect no matter what their (respectful) opinions are, also believe " you treat people the same way you want people to treat you ".
Let's be clear, before Greenberg changed our "Bred not Bought" policy and Hasler & Cleal destroyed not only our roster also our developments and recruitments we were simply fine !
The successful clubs especially Melbourne built their's on our blue prints.
Surrounded by the honest and selfless board members we have...
* John Khoury is a man possessed by his love for the Bulldogs who sacrificing his time and energy for the club.
* Aaron Warburton is one of the smartest business minded CEOs around if not the smartest, we will soon reap the rewards
* Gus Gould is a very smart operator, in fact the best in the business as long as he stays motivated to our cause we could only improve, yes I think he's got some Bullfrog in him :tonguewink: :-)
We could only hope their hard work doesn't go in vain !!!

Last edited:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Given the cattle for next year, the new squad, the lack of quality in key positions, and the drawer, I think 9-12 is a realistic position to expect. I hope I am wrong.

Cheers
Under promise and over deliver..?.:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: No excuses Dan, deliver or depart.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No offence meant, just generally speaking :-)
Really..?

I’ve been reading this forum for years, but have never felt the need to add anything. However, this is just absolute tripe.
I dare say Daniel Ferris would run rings around 95% of those bagging him in ‘The Kennel’. For the halfwits that suggest because he isn’t ripped then he mustn’t know what he’s doing is absurd. It’s like saying only a woman can be a gynaecologist, or men give better head, or an oncologist can’t treat cancer if they haven’t had it. F’ing Bullshit.
As the saying goes, “you can’t polish shit”, and that’s what Canterbury have had the last 5 years. Don’t blame the strength and conditioning coach for a bunch of numpties that wouldn’t get a run in most other clubs. There was hardly a footballers arsehole amongst them.
Daniel is as academically qualified as anyone and comes from a rugby league family. His father was president of Group.19 for years (RIPDes). No, it matters little, but the point was already made. The Dogs have not had the cattle on the field, so some simpletons look to blame the coach((es) Pay and Barret)), and now the training staff. Shall we blame Classic Sportswear next for the poor performances saying the kit wasn’t up to standard? Get a grip.
The players have not been up to standard, and for those that are expecting a silver bullet in 2022- you’re in for a rude shock. But it won’t be the fault of ancillary staff like Daniel Ferris.
A pair of your mums knickers, but he already had several. As do most of us. Jog on little man, before you hurt yourself.
They are of a fair size, with extra cheese, so perhaps that is why he isn’t a svelte as you would like/fantasise about.
So this bloke blows in and insults regular members and contributors in here because he is butthurt over comments about some flog that has delivered nothing so far for the club, and that’s ok to you?

Ok..

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
G’Day,
Thank you for making a genuine and thoughtful out response, rather than simply baiting.

My original argument that you cannot blame the Bulldogs poor performances, and say he can’t do the job he is employed to do because he isn’t trim still stands. If they aren’t fit enough then sure, he should fall on his own sword, but that won’t be because of his own weight. I’ll say no more on that as I’m tired of rebuking a couple of humans on here.

I will agree with just about everything you’d said. No problem with it. It’s a results based industry and the results at the Bulldogs have been poor for far too long. But the roster that Barrett and Co had last year, and Pay the years prior, were poor ones. Bellamy, Robinson, Bennett, even bloody Gibson wouldn’t have had success. Sure, it probably would’ve been a little better, but not bloody much. They’d have been able to attract players, but if they were simply coaching from the same talent pool that Pay and Barrett had/have- they’d have still had poor years.

I will disagree with Mr Gould and say that I don’t believe fitness and defence are the Bulldogs BIGGEST deficiencies. Sure, both are bad, as is their attack, but the biggest failing at the Bulldogs, just my opinion, is in recruitment and development, and that is an area he has had success.

I hope he is able to implement at Canterbury what he did at Penrith, The Roosters, and then Penrith again in regard to recruitment and redevelopment. But let’s not forget that’s not just the Gould way, it was actually the Canterbury way. It’s something I’ve little doubt he learned through his time at the Bulldogs, and it’s something that has been lost for about the last 15 years.

I can only draw on about 40 years of following the Bulldogs so I can’t comment on the sides of the late 1930- early 1940’s. But when I think about the periods that the Bulldogs were true powerhouses of the competition, the team was largely built around footballers that had had been developed through their system. Think the sides of the late 1970’s up to and including 1995, and the early 2000’s through to about 2006. I don’t count the years of 2012 and 2014 as great successes despite making the grand finals. Both sides had good years and possessed some handy players, but were easily outclassed on the day. By then, under Hasler, the Club already moved away from the old Canterbury approach of recruitment and development, instead preferring to buy in talent. The bandaid approach. And look how that’s ended up. We’re still suffering because of it.

Some might argue that you can’t do that anymore due to the salary cap, but Melbourne do it, the Roosters do it, and now the Panthers do it. That’s what I hope Gould is able to reintroduce to the Bulldogs.

I don’t mean to be a downer, but I don’t see 2022 being the raging success some do. It’s got to be an improvement, no doubt, and if it is not, then they should all be cleaned out. More realistically, I think from 2023 is the more reasonable time frame to demand success.

Yes, there’s been some good recruitment. Burton has the potential to be the best buy the Dogs have made since T. Lamb. Similar ages, and both of them genuine footballers, not just athletes they’re trying to make into footballers (ala Averillo). Other than that, though, you’ve got a couple of dirt and diamonds players in Pangai Jr and Dufty, an aging front rower whose powers have been waning long before he held a BBQ at his place, a fringe outside back from the Panthers, and a quick, but small winger who has been lucky to have played out of Melbourne recently.

Cheers
You make some pretty good points, but the biggest point I think you’ve missed is that a number of deadwood players that clearly aren’t 1st grade standard have been moved on. I do believe we’ll go close to making the 8 pending injuries. But T Baz really needs to pick & stick…. We can’t go thru another season of 10 different options/combinations in the spine.

Dogs&Cats

Waterboy
Reaction score
Really..?

So this bloke blows in and insults regular members and contributors in here because he is butthurt over comments about some flog that has delivered nothing so far for the club, and that’s ok to you?

Ok..
If you are going to paraphrase me please mention who has fired the first shot. Yes, I retaliated, as would most. Have a nice day.

Dogs&Cats

Waterboy
Reaction score
You make some pretty good points, but the biggest point I think you’ve missed is that a number of deadwood players that clearly aren’t 1st grade standard have been moved on. I do believe we’ll go close to making the 8 pending injuries. But T Baz really needs to pick & stick…. We can’t go thru another season of 10 different options/combinations in the spine.
Fair point. I don’t see the depth in the squad there, but I agree with what you’ve said. Ta.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Really..?

Ok..
The problem is people choosing to be aggressive in conversations,
Without being judgmental this conversations did, I don't care whose fault it is this time but on TK we have the habit of judging people way too soon, not only judging we tend to become disrespectful...
Anyone involved with the club deserves a fair chance that includes the ball-boy !
Sadly we seem to freely throw our own under the bus these days.
Disloyalty isn't the Bulldogs way...No it's not OK !!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
D-Voice, 95% of all the disrespectful and bad language used against members would not happen face to face, members feel protected behind the keyboard because they can’t get a good smack in the face for being d***heads on a forum. All it does is highlight who they really are as a person. Maybe some suffer from small man syndrome in real life getting pushed around, but on a forum they become Maximus Decimus Meridius and they will “have their vengeance” lol
Kind of like the no punches rule.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The problem is people choosing to be aggressive in conversations,
So calling people halfwits and wankers isn’t??

Please, this bloke is either Ferris or a relative and has his knickers in a knot that he is copping well deserved criticism.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Really..?

Ok..
The way I saw it unfold was that he defended Ferris on the grounds that statements made about him are just slander. Others like you then just went on the attack because you disagreed, and before you know it there is this childish back and forth going on. As @D- voice said, it happens all the time on here. People have little regard for others when they don't agree, and are very quick to become abusive. Its been happening for as long as I have been a part of this place. Its pretty fucked if you ask me.
Do you really think your opinions are worth more then someone else's because you have been on this forum longer? Serious question.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The way I saw it unfold was that he defended Ferris on the grounds that statements made about him are just slander. Others like you then just went on the attack because you disagreed, and before you know it there is this childish back and forth going on. As @D- voice said, it happens all the time on here. People have little regard for others when they don't agree, and are very quick to become abusive. Its been happening for as long as I have been a part of this place. Its pretty fucked if you ask me.
Do you really think your opinions are worth more then someone else's because you have been on this forum longer? Serious question.
Bullshit. Read my post. He came in and called people halfwits and insulted people because of their opinion of Dan Ferris. He didn’t defend Ferris with reasonable debate as he alludes he simply insulted others that had voiced a view that Ferris might have not have delivered

show me a single post where I insulted or attacked him prior to his original post

get your facts straight

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Most importantly I believe most of us log on TK to relax and sometimes to get away from the real problems in life being small or big...
It's supposed to be fun and entertaining it's about football !
Suddenly and out of nowhere you cop a barrage of abuse, suddenly the fun disappears !

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Most importantly I believe most of us log on TK to relax and sometimes to get away from the real problems in life being small or big...
It's supposed to be fun and entertaining it's about football !
Suddenly and out of nowhere you cop a barrage of abuse, suddenly the fun disappears !
And then the thread derails for 2 pages while people take their anger out on eachother, because one thinks a certain player has potential, and the other thinks that they dont.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bullshit. Read my post. He came in and called people halfwits and insulted people because of their opinion of Dan Ferris. He didn’t defend Ferris with reasonable debate as he alludes he simply insulted others that had voiced a view that Ferris might have not have delivered

show me a single post where I insulted or attacked him prior to his original post

get your facts straight
Are you seriously that offended by the term halfwit??? And what makes you think he was referring to you? The trouble is, someone says halfwit, and before you know it someone is being called a worthless ****.
Everyone's opinions are valid, as they are theirs. Some people just want to change everyone's opinions to match theirs because they think they are right.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are you seriously that offended by the term halfwit??? And what makes you think he was referring to you? The trouble is, someone says halfwit, and before you know it someone is being called a worthless ****.
Everyone's opinions are valid, as they are theirs. Some people just want to change everyone's opinions to match theirs because they think they are right.
I must be missing something. Who called someone a worthless ****? I didn’t like someone coming in and putting shit on Kennelers because they don’t like Dan Ferris for one reason or another.

He didn’t say hey guys you might have it wrong, Dan’s a good guy and working his way thru the challenges. No, he told us all how clever Dan was and how everyone is is a keyboard warrior with no cred and irrelevant.

Whatever, I am truly getting tired of this place and stupid comments to be honest. Fuck it.

Dogs&Cats

Waterboy
Reaction score
You did, or is halfwits not an insult in your book? Unless of course you are Ferris,
Arguing that Daniel Ferris cannot do his job competently because of his weight is halfwitted, yes. As I have already stated I stand by that argument. Perhaps that was a little acrid for the thin skinned….

Your behaviour isn’t a new phenomena. It happens in workplaces across Australia every day. New bloke comes in with an idea different to the status quo (this is a Daniel bash-up thread after all), the established crew don’t like it so they go to town on him. I know exactly the type of person you are, and your rants are making that clear for all (except your mates). I won’t insult you further because I do not need to. Your shovel is plenty big and your very good at using it it seems.

Before I go I will clear a couple of things up for you. No, I am not Daniel Ferris, nor am I related to Daniel. I did know Daniel as a kid through his family, but I’ve not seen hide nor hair of Daniel since his fathers funeral (RIP) probably 22-23 years ago. Not that he needs it, but yeah I’m going to defend the bloke when people are making halfwitted statements like that. As would most reasonable men. A term I cannot extend to you.

Have a pleasant evening, and be careful on the roads. I can tell you get into a lot of road-rage incidents…