Cotric to raiders in 2022

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This page is funny sometimes.

Everyone was lauding the club for the incredible signings we've made. Literally a wankfest on here with a giant conga train and circle jerk off about Gould, and the management being the best living thing in history pulling off some of the signings they have. Full trust in what they're doing.

The club then makes a call on Cotric and believe it's best suited for the club that he leaves, and all of a sudden many have lost that trust and are questioning their call on this?

I mean ... ?

Shit. The club did unbelievably well to get us where to we are now. Surely they've earnt the right to trust then goign forward?
It's hard to please everyone but our management are doing a great job trying or better still trying to fix the roster.
Let's be honest regarding the two players Cotric and Allen.
Cotric, a great young but overpriced player as a winger, it is unfortunate that he is the casualty of the being signed on expectations to play center where until now has failed to do so at both Canberra and Canterbury !
Allen, he too is a good young player who is on 400k a season for 3 seasons, Souths paying big chunk of the first year, not bad for a SOO player that can cover 3 positions.
We need to balance the roster...
But whingers are never pleased...Management are damned if they did and damned if they don't !!!

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s definitely a top class winger but unfortunately the sticking point is the 650k he is reportedly on.

I would love to have had him on the other flank but it won’t happen now and he’s prob going to kill it back at the Raiders where he fitted into that system and Sticky coaching better than with us.
I don't care what Cotric is currently getting paid....a contract us a contract and the club and player should honour it...I say the same for Flanno and any other player.....I'm sick of contracts meaning nothing....I want to see what Cotric can do in the next 3 years if his contract....

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
TBH, would have loved for Cotric to work out, however a player of his calibre and price tag should flourish on his own on, or at least show glimpses of his prowess without any superstars around him. We didn't get that last year. I think Josh Mansour would have been a better option last year.
If our roster was balanced I would've loved to keep him !!!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
It's hard to please everyone but our management are doing a great job trying or better still trying to fix the roster.
Let's be honest regarding the two players Cotric and Allen.
Cotric, a great young but overpriced player as a winger, it is unfortunate that he is the casualty of the being signed on expectations to play center where until now has failed to do so at both Canberra and Canterbury !
Allen, he too is a good young player who is on 400k a season for 3 seasons, Souths paying big chunk of the first year, not bad for a SOO player that can cover 3 positions.
We need to balance the roster...
But whingers are never pleased...Management are damned if they did and damned if they don't !!!
I don't think it's "whinging" to discuss and ask the question about the merits of just letting Cotric leave without a possible return for it. On face value the only reason it's good is if it get's us something in return.... and not just $$$. If we are ok for 2022 in SC then it's best we use Cotric for 2022 then to help another club out. As the Storm have shown and said many times, we want something back, we just don't help the other club's.

Cotric's value won't wain in 2022. if anything with a team around him that's finally getting better his value may actually improve to parity if we still wanted to offload him for 2023.

Although I'm sure Gus and the current guy's have us finally looking good they don't just get a blank cheque just yet after the miserable years we've been going through. I think it's ok if some are still cautious in getting to excited just yet. Things are looking great BUT when we haven't had good players in so long I think it's fair that some fans wonder why we might release some without any apparent benefit.

For me, I'm thinking Mahoney is in the pipeline BUT that's just me hoping so it makes sense.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is anything confirmed yet? I'm sick of wondering if he's staying or going. If he does go, what a disappointing ordeal. Pretty hyped when he signed, but he never got a good shot at showing his stuff, with a crap side around him and missing half the season.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The way I see it is if showed value for money he wouldn't be going anywhere, he's on overs and it's the reasons is going if this all happens.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think it's "whinging" to discuss and ask the question about the merits of just letting Cotric leave without a possible return for it. On face value the only reason it's good is if it get's us something in return.... and not just $$$. If we are ok for 2022 in SC then it's best we use Cotric for 2022 then to help another club out. As the Storm have shown and said many times, we want something back, we just don't help the other club's.

Cotric's value won't wain in 2022. if anything with a team around him that's finally getting better his value may actually improve to parity if we still wanted to offload him for 2023.

Although I'm sure Gus and the current guy's have us finally looking good they don't just get a blank cheque just yet after the miserable years we've been going through. I think it's ok if some are still cautious in getting to excited just yet. Things are looking great BUT when we haven't had good players in so long I think it's fair that some fans wonder why we might release some without any apparent benefit.

For me, I'm thinking Mahoney is in the pipeline BUT that's just me hoping so it makes sense.
I agree but unfortunately there are many that can't or won't recognize positives even if it hits them in the face, and like you said, our people have and still are doing a great job rebuilding the roster and aren't finished yet.
Not wrong to be cautious, but let's keep the faith patience is a virtue !!! :-)

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Odd comment, Cotric (not with us) has done way more on the footy field then Avo has so far. At this stage it's Avo that is the overrated one.
Cotric is an experienced SOO player on 650k a season that hails from a relatively successful team.
Averillo is a young player in a struggling team/club who is on third of Cotric's money !

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Spot on. Anyone who thinks we would entertain the idea of paying any more than a one time transfer fee for cotric has rocks in their head. Gus won’t let us go back to these old ways of paying players to play at other clubs for multi year deals
I doubt a club will take him without us contributing both years.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't care what Cotric is currently getting paid....a contract us a contract and the club and player should honour it...I say the same for Flanno and any other player.....I'm sick of contracts meaning nothing....I want to see what Cotric can do in the next 3 years if his contract....
All due respect

Contracts don’t mean much these days and haven’t done in years (think SBW)

The spit on your hand my word is my bond era ended a long long time ago

It’s a business.

Sometimes the club makes the call other times it’s the player

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt a club will take him without us contributing both years.
Of course they won’t.

No way the raiders are paying him anything near $650k in 2022 or 2023. We will be chipping in $150-$200k both years for sure.

But that’s what happens when you do a bad deal

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Of course they won’t.

No way the raiders are paying him anything near $650k in 2022 or 2023. We will be chipping in $150-$200k both years for sure.

But that’s what happens when you do a bad deal
I can see the club forking out 100k season, it's not too bad considering the money could be used to bring someone like Mahoney if not then front-loud other players contracts.

BG73

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Another poster said it first, then I said it best…. anyway…

To say it again

If you’ve decided to move players on for SC reasons, you take the acceptable deal when you get it - because you might not get it again.

There doesn’t have to be any plan about who we sign or bring a year early or who we upgrade or front load - they’re things you’ll think about after you take the deal you got.

Don’t over think it, that’s the plan.
Nope, this is wrong. You can’t have SC pressure in isolation, it has to be connected to a plan and improvement, be it now or later. Your logic is flawed.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Odd comment, Cotric (not with us) has done way more on the footy field then Avo has so far. At this stage it's Avo that is the overrated one.
Cotric killed it last year lol

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have no issue in us releasing Cotric even though I would of loved to keep him in a stronger team.

If it works out that we either
A) somehow get Mahoney in 22
B) sign another player to add true value to this squad as we should be covered out wide anyway with JAC Naden Alamoti Schoupp Okunbor Lumelume Burns
Or C) upgrade Burton

If none of the above, then it’s an absolute waste just cutting him.

I trust the process that one of the 3 points comes to fruition

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because now you can front end deals.

Eg you could pay two players an extra $200 k each this year that you don’t need to pay next year when kikau and Mahoney are on the books.
I didn't know that, I guess it could make sense then if looking at it this way

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
This page is funny sometimes.

Everyone was lauding the club for the incredible signings we've made. Literally a wankfest on here with a giant conga train and circle jerk off about Gould, and the management being the best living thing in history pulling off some of the signings they have. Full trust in what they're doing.

The club then makes a call on Cotric and believe it's best suited for the club that he leaves, and all of a sudden many have lost that trust and are questioning their call on this?

I mean ... ?

Shit. The club did unbelievably well to get us where to we are now. Surely they've earnt the right to trust then goign forward?
The glass half empty crew never cease to amaze.