Opinion Bulldogs Dodge Bullet With Brandon Smith

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Yeah. While that's true, it still isn't cool that he's talking about the Roosters in such a way even before informing his club which made him that he'll be leaving them.

Idk. Can you remember other transfers being done so openly? Of course, every player visits all the potential clubs talking to all the potential people etc. Understand that.

But, I can't ever remember anyone saying things like 2 clubs have come in for me in the last couple of days with some offers, and then stating which two clubs. And also stating exactly which other clubs.

Then, out of all the clubs he's visited to talk only about the Roosters in such a way?

Just comes across as disrespectful to all those other clubs tbh.

So happy we gotout of the race when we did.
His manager actually said he hadn't heard from the club he was "interested in" yet, Fam. I mean seriously, it doesn't get much more disrespectful than that. The roosters can have 'em both. Namaste

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Cheese says that Roosters shit about the Dogs and every one of you would be sucking him off constantly lol
Not really bro. I mean imagine if he came here. We'd be called drug dealers after the shit he did in Melbourne. Let the Rorters own that title now.

Also, he's not going to be the player that wins the roosters the Premiership - they're going to need a lot more fire power than him to win it!

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
What got me offside was in those early days where he was making jokes and small suggestions about the Dogs. He did it on camera, in social media and with Jac. Giving a desperate bunch of fans a little hope that he may come to us. Especially at an early time when we had only signed Jac and Burton and everything had seemed to stall a little. A bygone era and an older fan from the days when players cared for more then just $$$. I know, these new mercenaries don't give a shite what colour jersey they have on, but it's still not cool. Yep nothing huge but for a fanbase that was hurting bad the hindsight of his jokes, arrogance and demeanor of "I don't give a fuk" has rubbed me all wrong. Once again nothing huge but as time progressed and he dragged it all out only to go to the whore Roosters to me shows all along what type of bloke he is. He lost me long before the rorters though. As a thing I hate arrogant people as a base line so I was always going to struggle with him. Say what you will but I prefer the players who make up there minds without the fuss and make it in a mature way, whether the players like it, care or not the fans emotions are linked to the decisions they make both on and off the field. Now I couldn't care at all about the kid and IMO he picked the club best suited to him!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I think he acted exactly the way a lot of us admired (boofhead larrikin) until it was obvious he wasnt coming to Belmore. He is a super player and would have been awesome with the pack we have assembled but its not to be. If I am totally honest I am just salty that its the fucking rorters (anyone but them) because as usual there is no heat on them or their salary cap.

In fact on SEN this morning they were raving about the high standards and culture of the Roosters, and that Nick and Trent would be horrified by the apalling language by Smith... What a crock of shit.
Well they lost the twins and both captains this year due to retirement so they've got some cap space.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Not really bro. I mean imagine if he came here. We'd be called drug dealers after the shit he did in Melbourne. Let the Rorters own that title now.

Also, he's not going to be the player that wins the roosters the Premiership - they're going to need a lot more fire power than him to win it!
Well going off stereotypes, Bulldogs supply and roosters demand. He should of gone to the suppliers lol

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Great player but really bad form saying he wants to win a premiership with the Roosters when he has a year to run with the Storm and they bent over backwards trying to defend him after the whole cocaine thing with Munster. Don't really care as it has nothing to do with us but it did become obvious pretty quick that he never had any genuine interest in our club and was just lapping up the attention he was getting.

I think Gus knows more that anyone in the game that once Politis/the Roosters have their hooks set on someone it's not even worth the effort. Which is why he was adamant we weren't going after him. They're well run but the biggest thing they have in their favour is how they're able to shamelessly bribe recruits with under the table payments, sponsorships and promises of being set up for life. The reality is you can't compete with that when the NRL have demonstrated time and time again how they're willing to look the other way and the media barely flinch when these things get brought up.

Anyway, I'm convinced Mahoney is a much better fit for this team and can't wait to see him in our colours.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's a great player. But he's gone into full diva mode. He talks about the Roosters like he's been playing for the Titans his whole career and pretends like he never won a comp with Melbourne.

He's entitled to change clubs and say what he wants.. It's no surprise to anyone that he ended up at the Roosters. But it's the way he's carrying on and what he's said, combined with his coke incident, that make people turn off him.

Addo-Carr, Burton etc handled their situations with class and were respectful to their previous clubs and us. You can't say the same about Smith and he comes across as unprofessional and ungrateful to Melbourne, especially as they helped sweep his coke incident under the rug.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score

They have talent to burn, Fam. What the club is lacking is a soul. But a blank cheque book still goes a long way. Namaste.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I tend to think poorly of players that linger in the spotlight when they don't need to. Even back in my school days attention seekers used to piss me off. That's something that irritates me even more as an adult.

Smith has been using his potential shift in clubs to garner attention for close to a year now. Was pissing me off 9 months ago. So I'd have put up with him if we'd signed him. But at the end of the day I always have more respect for a player that shuts up and delivers on field. No issues with them fronting the media for adulation if they have a brilliant game. But modesty is something I have loads of respect for.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Well they lost the twins and both captains this year due to retirement so they've got some cap space.
Surely the basis of that assumption is their Cap was in order last year. What if they were over by, say, $3+m last year (didn't some journo value their team at $13m)? Losing players and replacing them doesn't mean that they are Cap compliant this year? Any more than they were last year.

Always a Bulldog

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Well he spoke to the media and said some stupid things about the rumors to try and water them down - and I recall him mentioning our clubs name and the Tigers - I think the Gold Coast was another thing. Then the whole cocaine thing just added to it. He's rubbish, someone we do not need.
"I’ve been linked with the Titans, the Tigers and the Bulldogs ... geez, they are all going great at the moment."

We've finished 12th, 15th and 16th the last 3 seasons - you might not like hearing it - but that doesn't mean he's wrong, or that he's not entitled to say it. I like the fact he speaks openly and honestly.

If anyone has a problem with young guys, making a lot of money doing cocaine then I suggest you follow another sport - it's rampant.

Brendan7

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We actually signed a hooker for one. Honestly I said it before Smith is a lock and a good one, but Mahoney is a hooker, and that's what we needed. Mahoney is also cheaper.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think the cocaine bust on tv would be a good look for the bulldogs moving forward …… not
A guy taking cocaine in the off season and being recorded by a mate is acting poorly during negotiations?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Great player but really bad form saying he wants to win a premiership with the Roosters when he has a year to run with the Storm and they bent over backwards trying to defend him after the whole cocaine thing with Munster. Don't really care as it has nothing to do with us but it did become obvious pretty quick that he never had any genuine interest in our club and was just lapping up the attention he was getting.

I think Gus knows more that anyone in the game that once Politis/the Roosters have their hooks set on someone it's not even worth the effort. Which is why he was adamant we weren't going after him. They're well run but the biggest thing they have in their favour is how they're able to shamelessly bribe recruits with under the table payments, sponsorships and promises of being set up for life. The reality is you can't compete with that when the NRL have demonstrated time and time again how they're willing to look the other way and the media barely flinch when these things get brought up.

Anyway, I'm convinced Mahoney is a much better fit for this team and can't wait to see him in our colours.
I think things are changing, Fam. We now have a good board, some corporate clout and one of the best minds in the game at our helm. We are entering an era where we will be as attractive a proposition as anyone. Namaste

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
"I’ve been linked with the Titans, the Tigers and the Bulldogs ... geez, they are all going great at the moment."

We've finished 12th, 15th and 16th the last 3 seasons - you might not like hearing it - but that doesn't mean he's wrong, or that he's not entitled to say it. I like the fact he speaks openly and honestly.

If anyone has a problem with young guys, making a lot of money doing cocaine then I suggest you follow another sport - it's rampant.
Many players might think it, Fam. A professional would not say it. Shitcanning other clubs is not exactly the act of a good ambassador. Then there isd the way he "informed" his current (and extremely successful) club that he was leaving. The line between larrikinism and dickheadery has been well and truly crossed with Smith in recent months. He will look especially stupid when our club if finishing over the top of his in 2023.

What do you think of the Mahoney signing? surely a much better outcome than forking out 1 mill a season for a player who does not have as much natural ability?

And sure, Fam. Many players do coke.....very few are stupid enough to be filmed doing it. If a player as loose as Cheese ended up here, the media would have a field day. Namaste

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Lol get fucked.

This is just old media v new media and players handling their own narrative.

Good on him for actually speaking like a human and himself.

I’m glad we signed Mahoney but I would have been stoked with Cheese aswell.
Na fuck him. I had fucking tears in my eyes looking at the jersey LOL.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If one of my highly paid employees who had issues with drugs, and i stuck by him then he had gone to opposition to seek a job for more money and then bragged about how good they were and how they will look after him in the future .... he would be looking at his future already.

Reactions: 88

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reminds me of the Barba incident. Greenberg swept his shit under the carpet... Next minute he's trolling fans... saying how much he misses the qld weather or something similar to that..

He must be unhappy with the Storm for some reason...

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Surely the basis of that assumption is their Cap was in order last year. What if they were over by, say, $3+m last year (didn't some journo value their team at $13m)? Losing players and replacing them doesn't mean that they are Cap compliant this year? Any more than they were last year.

Always a Bulldog
Their roster was worth 13m according to the journalist but that wasn't what they were paying. This is also way back when they vs'd Raiders in the GF.