• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A Fair Work Commission ruling on the flu jab reveals the divide on vaccine mandates
There's going to be many conflicts in this. I heard a contractor put it well the other day. He said:

"legally I probably can't fire one of my staff if they refuse to vaccinate. But every company we work with requires vaccination. Any of my staff members who don't vaccinate, can't do their job. If they can't do their job then they are useless to me"

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There's going to be many conflicts in this. I heard a contractor put it well the other day. He said:

"legally I probably can't fire one of my staff if they refuse to vaccinate. But every company we work with requires vaccination. Any of my staff members who don't vaccinate, can't do their job. If they can't do their job then they are useless to me"
Could be a grey area.

A lot of job sites require things like contractors to have certain tickets/certificates before they can go in (often related to safety). If the contractor mentioned here had an employee that was refusing to get a certain certificate, even if paid for by his employer on their time, it would surely provide grounds to have to terminate that employee.

A lot of Companies are bringing in their own vaccine mandates for employees, without it necessarily being a strict government requirement. I think Best and Less just did so recently in a leaked email. No idea if any of them have sought legal advice or clarification from Fair work etc. All of my staff are vaccinated (only a small team of 5 including myself).

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Went to emergency last night, a misshap with boiling oil and eyeball **** of a joint was absolutely packed, gave me a few drips of shit to wash out eye and 4 hrs later still didn't have a dr come in so just left.
Not sure when they open up what impact covid will have on already packed Hospitals but ontop of how they usually are I guess it's going to be pretty hectic.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Went to emergency last night, a misshap with boiling oil and eyeball **** of a joint was absolutely packed, gave me a few drips of shit to wash out eye and 4 hrs later still didn't have a dr come in so just left.
Not sure when they open up what impact covid will have on already packed Hospitals but ontop of how they usually are I guess it's going to be pretty hectic.
We've had a similar experience with the two closest hospitals in our area. I had a chat not long back with a recently retired paramedic. He said that most of the five years before Covid the hospital system was close to being overwhelmed during the height of flu season.

The authorities know what the capacity of the hospital system is, which is part of the reason they went down the path of lock downs in the way they did. It is also why you see regular campaigns from the AMA and surgeons from St Vinnies regarding alcohol related emergencies. It is in part because of the pressure that gets put on the health staff, who then struggle to deal with real emergencies.

There's been a number of accounts in the US and UK of people who've had serious acute issues (like heart), and died because they couldn't get care.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We've had a similar experience with the two closest hospitals in our area. I had a chat not long back with a recently retired paramedic. He said that most of the five years before Covid the hospital system was close to being overwhelmed during the height of flu season.

The authorities know what the capacity of the hospital system is, which is part of the reason they went down the path of lock downs in the way they did. It is also why you see regular campaigns from the AMA and surgeons from St Vinnies regarding alcohol related emergencies. It is in part because of the pressure that gets put on the health staff, who then struggle to deal with real emergencies.

There's been a number of accounts in the US and UK of people who've had serious acute issues (like heart), and died because they couldn't get care.
Even Gladys says case numbers will be going thru the roof, so that inevitably means hospitals will be inundated, initially at least.

With Sydneysiders allowed into Regional NSW soon, with their minimal hospital facilities, it could get to really concerning numbers.

I hope they are ready and planning for any panic in affected communities if the system can't cope.

Worried :(

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A friend of mine is in hospital right now die to Covid. He's in an induced coma and on life support, but according to the doctors, he's getting better. But after he caught it, he passed it on to his friend who passed it on to his wife. His wife is passed the worst of it. Still can't walk and breathing is a bit difficult but not bad enough to need oxygen, so they discharged her because they need the beds.

Side note, glasses are great. When I started wearing glasses while working as a chef I noticed every night I get home and they are caked in oil. That was likely all building up in my eyes before the glasses.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not every day you hear that.
All good now?
Not sure much change hospital wise regardless, long waits have been the norm for years.
Still blury lol ,it was fucked when it happened no vision in it once oil washed out ,good thing about eyes I didn't wait 1 second in emergency got taken straight to eye room so Glad wasn't near people

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
A friend of mine is in hospital right now die to Covid. He's in an induced coma and on life support, but according to the doctors, he's getting better. But after he caught it, he passed it on to his friend who passed it on to his wife. His wife is passed the worst of it. Still can't walk and breathing is a bit difficult but not bad enough to need oxygen, so they discharged her because they need the beds.

Side note, glasses are great. When I started wearing glasses while working as a chef I noticed every night I get home and they are caked in oil. That was likely all building up in my eyes before the glasses.
All the best to your friend Hacky.
Last night on 7.30 they had an interview with a daughter who's Dad is in ICU. C19 went thru the whole family...her, brother, mother.

They need more interviews put out there of people who have/had it to show the reality of the thing. It's not the flu.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Still blury lol ,it was fucked when it happened no vision in it once oil washed out ,good thing about eyes I didn't wait 1 second in emergency got taken straight to eye room so Glad wasn't near people
I know I shouldn't be asking....this could go anywhere....but....what were you doing with boiled "baby" oil?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not sure if it belongs here or the GF thread, but there have been a couple of mystery cases pop up overnight in QLD. Whilst contact tracers etc are generally on top of things here at the moment, and quarantining proving successful (so far), there are rightful concerns about the GF being one of those super spreader events.

press conference will be at 9:30, with Townsville emerging as a contender to host the event.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Not sure if it belongs here or the GF thread, but there have been a couple of mystery cases pop up overnight in QLD. Whilst contact tracers etc are generally on top of things here at the moment, and quarantining proving successful (so far), there are rightful concerns about the GF being one of those super spreader events.

press conference will be at 9:30, with Townsville emerging as a contender to host the event.
Saw that. One guy works in airline industry. No known source of infection?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
6 cases in QLD announced. Not sure if lockdown will happen (unless its one of those snap short ones we've had before), but the GF will definitely be in doubt.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
The Queensland premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk, says there is “no need to panic” but some of the new cases are concerning. Mask rules have been tightened.

Of the four cases in the community.

• Two cases are a husband and wife from Eatons Hill. The husband is fully-vaccinated and works in an aviation training facility. He was infectious in the community for three days
  • The third case, which is the most concerning, is a truck driver who was living in shared accommodation and has been infectious in the community for around a week. Police are speaking to this truck driver to gain more information about his movements.
  • This fourth case is a person who completed their full 14 days’ hotel quarantine but then tested positive after leave

Notwithstanding, the truck driver would be the biggest concern, Fuck hotel quarantine, seriously.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The Queensland premier, Annastacia Palaszczuk, says there is “no need to panic” but some of the new cases are concerning. Mask rules have been tightened.

Of the four cases in the community.

• Two cases are a husband and wife from Eatons Hill. The husband is fully-vaccinated and works in an aviation training facility. He was infectious in the community for three days
  • The third case, which is the most concerning, is a truck driver who was living in shared accommodation and has been infectious in the community for around a week. Police are speaking to this truck driver to gain more information about his movements.
  • This fourth case is a person who completed their full 14 days’ hotel quarantine but then tested positive after leave

Notwithstanding, the truck driver would be the biggest concern, Fuck hotel quarantine, seriously.
Hotel guarantine is another example of slack handling of this C19 pandemic. It's an area we actually can have some control over. The facilities similar to Howard Springs should have been prioritized in each State and up and running many months ago (at least) and therefore offered some further isolation of spreading affects.

When we have open OS borders the infection numbers will increase. Very poor governance and preparedness for what possibly lies ahead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.