Soccer The Manchester United SUPER Thread

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hoping matic starts vs west ham best we have in that role.

has anyone noticed when fred and pogba play together pogba turns to shit.
Don't they usually start together? Thought Pogba has been decent this year tho?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agreed different story if your playing liverpool. That’s one of easiest games of the group stage bar our home game against young boys. Lindelof shouldn’t have player to ole didnt do one thing right. You can blame lingard but we would’ve never been in that situation if we weren’t playing such negative football against a side like young boys
Wasn't Lindelof also playing in a position he wasn't usually in?

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just an observation Pogba has been good 7 assist in 4 games.
Thought so. Rubbished him last year but seems to be ok atm not that I've watched that many games of him.

Him and Pogba playing with a decent DM and you boys would be serious players

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hoping matic starts vs west ham best we have in that role.

has anyone noticed when fred and pogba play together pogba turns to shit.
They all look shit next to Fred to be fair. West Ham don’t have a dynamic midfield that will trouble Matic so surely he gets the start.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't they usually start together? Thought Pogba has been decent this year tho?
He has been really good this year, he needs to stay injury free though as he has missed chunks of the past 2 seasons through untimely injuries.

Should get close to the assists record to.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is the 3rd or 4th time Pep has asked City fans to turn up. I don’t think he realizes they don’t have any fans, hence why 30% of their stadium was empty in their champions league game.
some rival fans have been referring to the Man City ground as "Emptihad"

to be fair though, there are plenty of true City fans --> eg. City were still getting 25,000-30,000 fans to Maine Rd for home games while being in the third division

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

to be fair though, there are plenty of true City fans --> eg. City were still getting 25,000-30,000 fans to Maine Rd for home games while being in the third division
Theyve got their loyal fans who turn up, but I don’t know any one growing up wanting to be a city fan.

Buying trophies as they’ve done eliminates the romanticism of the game. As I said here last week, football without the romantics is just 22 blokes running around a field.

When you spend 200m on fullbacks within 5 years. 300 million on centre backs in the same time period. And refuse to play and develop any of your younger guys, how are your fans meant to grow an attachment to the players.

Foden is a world class talent who is 22 and still struggling to play. They have a young class striker, Liam Delap, and they refuse to play him even though they don’t have another striker other than Gabriel Jesus at the club.

Being a United fan, seeing players like Rashford and McTominay score in the derby and celebrate with the fans, or seeing Ronaldo come here at 17 and win the Ballon D’or, these are the moments that we watch for.

Watching the likes of Greenwood coming through the ranks and then smashing it at the senior level makes me proud to support the club. You don’t get that at city.

They play nice football, but watching a team that spent 1 billion in a decade smashing a team like Norwich isn’t all that entertaining.

They need to behave like a football club, promote players, develop players, identify with a mentality and style. That’s what’ll bring in fans.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Someone from their supporter group had a go at Pep and told him to stick to coaching LOL.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theyve got their loyal fans who turn up, but I don’t know any one growing up wanting to be a city fan.

Buying trophies as they’ve done eliminates the romanticism of the game. As I said here last week, football without the romantics is just 22 blokes running around a field.

When you spend 200m on fullbacks within 5 years. 300 million on centre backs in the same time period. And refuse to play and develop any of your younger guys, how are your fans meant to grow an attachment to the players.

Foden is a world class talent who is 22 and still struggling to play. They have a young class striker, Liam Delap, and they refuse to play him even though they don’t have another striker other than Gabriel Jesus at the club.

Being a United fan, seeing players like Rashford and McTominay score in the derby and celebrate with the fans, or seeing Ronaldo come here at 17 and win the Ballon D’or, these are the moments that we watch for.

Watching the likes of Greenwood coming through the ranks and then smashing it at the senior level makes me proud to support the club. You don’t get that at city.

They play nice football, but watching a team that spent 1 billion in a decade smashing a team like Norwich isn’t all that entertaining.

They need to behave like a football club, promote players, develop players, identify with a mentality and style. That’s what’ll bring in fans.
there is a grey area when it comes to money in football because, at a basic level, it has been in football for decades... for example, great South American footballers were brought across to European clubs and due to some money or incentives and due to their ancestry, they were given citizenship and would run out for their new countries

and in truth, it doesn't even have to be money... for example, politics has played a big role in football --> Franco and Real Madrid, the communist bloc countries not allowing players to transfer etc.

I guess my point is that there has always been a level artificiality in football and football results

another example... I believe AC Milan is the second greatest European football club ever behind only Real Madrid... but they were in serious decline in the early 1980's, were relegated, were on the cusp of bankruptcy etc... and then in walks Silvio Berlusconi and buys and bankrolls the club, brings in Arigo Sacchi, goes on a signing spree and the club becomes the best club in the world, wins 5 European Champions Leagues plus a host of other trophies... just an example of a Galacticos approach not involving Real Madrid --> in the early 1990's, AC Milan fielded the majority of Italy's defence (Baresi, Maldini and Costacurta), other Italy internationals (Ancelotti, Albertini, Donadoni, Massaro etc.), had signed the 3 Dutchmen (Van Basten, Gullit, Rijkaard), signed European Footballer of the Year Jean Pierre Papin, Zvonimir Boban who was one of the stars from the ex-Yugoslavia under 20 World Cup win, Dejan Savićević who was the star of the Red Star team that were European and Intercontinental champions in 1991 etc... it got to the point when Milan signed Lentini for a near world record in 1992 that the transfer was condemned by the Vatican

however, for all of the benefits of the Berlusconi era, AC Milan was already a great club having won 10 Serie A titles and two European Cups before him

I guess when it comes to Manchester City, the jury is still out as to whether there is any romance with the Sheikh Mansour takeover

Last edited:

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
When you spend 200m on fullbacks within 5 years. 300 million on centre backs in the same time period
I don’t like city but I like how they have set up the club as a world wide club. They do good business especially when you look at the Aaron mooy transfer from melb city to man city.

we can’t point fingers at how they spend money we have wasted a lot of money over the years buying dumb players

Our biggest problem is we go for allways the big name signings how is it our scouts can’t find players. Eg why is it we can’t find a CDM?

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gary Neville was asked an interesting question here - if you could add 3 players to Manchester United/your team from the EPL but not playing in a top 6 team, who would they be? Neville said --> Vardy, Ndidi and Seamus Coleman

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t like city but I like how they have set up the club as a world wide club. They do good business especially when you look at the Aaron mooy transfer from melb city to man city.

we can’t point fingers at how they spend money we have wasted a lot of money over the years buying dumb players

Our biggest problem is we go for allways the big name signings how is it our scouts can’t find players. Eg why is it we can’t find a CDM?
Smaller clubs know that clubs like City, United, Chelsea have stacks of money and therefore they take them for a ride.

Guaranteed had Liverpool not sold Coutinho for 100 million whatever to Barca, they would've got VVD and Alisson cheaper than what they did. The going price for VVD set the going price for Maguire for us.

But then there's the other argument, given how much the bigger clubs dominate the merchandise, TV, competition placing side of the revenue, the smaller clubs make up for it by holding the bigger clubs to ransom for transfer fees.

In a way it evens out

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
part of the issue Ferguson suffered towards the end of his reign was the restricted amounts of money he had on transfer targets as a result of the Glazer takeover... for example, United sold CR7 for a world record fee and replaced him with Antonio Valencia only from memory... they looked for bargain priced players they hoped would be gems (eg. Zoran Tošić, Adem Ljajić)... I think the budget approach also probably influenced the decision to sign Moyes who had been a relative success at Everton overachieving considering the money spent... it's why Old Trafford has been left as is for 15(?) years

that said, money was injected following the Moyes failure but poorly (eg. Di Maria, Sanchez, Lukaku etc.)
Sanchez was money well spent lol

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

How much have we spent in the last decade?

City are up against a behemoth. Manchester is red. Can't see that changing anytime soon.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

\

Would like to have Leicester City's scouts at United.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Gary Neville was asked an interesting question here - if you could add 3 players to Manchester United/your team from the EPL but not playing in a top 6 team, who would they be? Neville said --> Vardy, Ndidi and Seamus Coleman
Ndidi would be such a good signing. Leicester would want 70 million for him I think, but he has developed into some player.