Monday Buzz: Ivan Cleary in danger of becoming the game’s new Brian Smith

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ivan Cleary is in danger of becoming the new Brian Smith of NRL coaching.

It’s not a huge rap but the Panthers coach is now second to Smith on an all-time list of coaches for most premiership games without winning a grand final.

Smith famously coached 601 games at Illawarra, St George, Parramatta, Newcastle and the Roosters over 25 seasons without winning a premiership. His trophy cabinet consisted of one wooden spoon.

Cleary is now on 367 games over 15 seasons without a premiership ring.

No one in NRL history has won his first grand final after coaching 250 or more games.

Up until Saturday night in Townsville, most thought this might be Cleary’s year.

That he finally had the football team and the talent to go all away, and Melbourne Storm was the main danger.

But then he ran into old super coach Wayne Bennett, who has won seven titles and is so hard to beat around this time of the year.

The Panthers have dominated for two years with the most exciting roster in the competition.

Ivan Cleary is facing an uphill battle to win this year’s title. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty

Ivan Cleary is facing an uphill battle to win this year’s title. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty
Brian Smith lost four grand finals. Picture: Phil Hillyard

Brian Smith lost four grand finals. Picture: Phil Hillyard
Together, Penrith and Melbourne had won 41 games in the past two seasons, far superior to the rest of the clubs.

Yet Townsville was a no-contest in the battle of the coaching boxes.

Cleary was outplayed in the media build-up and completely outcoached.

His body language said it all at his post-match press conference, in his eyes and his voice.

Bennett had rattled him to an extent that one observer on social media suggested: “Wayne’s living rent free in Ivan’s head.”

No one uses the media better than Bennett.

When it suits, he will leak like a sieve to help his agenda.

No one gets anywhere near the old boy as a media performer.

On this occasion, Cleary started a war of words he couldn’t win.

His complaint that the referees needed to protect son Nathan from South Sydney was all the ammunition Bennett required to launch one of the great pre-game blow-ups.

https://media.news.com.au/multimedia/2021/NED-4494-NRL-Posters/PAN0988148052-B.jpg
The evidence of who won the duel was there on the scoreboard on Saturday night: Rabbitohs 16, the Panthers 10.

We can only guess this is one of the reasons why the great Gus Gould didn’t want Cleary back at the Penrith Panthers when he sacked Anthony Griffin three years ago.

Some coaches can build footy clubs that are capable of winning grand finals but not deliver premierships.

It’s often said about Brad Arthur at Parramatta that he can get his team into a strong position for the business end of the season but not take the extra step to complete the job.

Panthers legend – and current board member – Greg Alexander says it’s wrong to be blaming Cleary for what happened in the 16-10 loss to the Rabbitohs. I asked Alexander if he thought Cleary was rattled.

Ivan Cleary with son Nathan after last year’s grand final loss. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty

Ivan Cleary with son Nathan after last year’s grand final loss. Picture: Cameron Spencer/Getty
“No, no absolutely not,” he said. “This is a bit of game play between two coaches. He’s not rattled at all. The loss to Souths made it a tough press conference. That’s all it was.”

Alexander insisted the Panthers made the right decision to hire Cleary three years ago

“I certainly don’t waiver at all from the decision we made,” Alexander said.

“We’ve had two outstanding years of football.

“We’re absolutely confident he will deliver a title, whether it’s this year or next.

“The feeling in the club is as good as it’s ever been.”

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Panthers are the new chokers. Maybe they should sack Cleary and sign Flanno. Apart from Robbo, he's the only one capable of beating Bellamy during finals time.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I love it how they are all piling on lol
i used to love penrith when they were a battler club that we always destroyed
but now...meh

if they get knocked out this week or lose in the prelim they dont have much to show for the past couple years

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think Penriff looked underdone and expected to win by just showing up. Reminds me of us in 2004 when we got dusted by the cowboys in the first round of the finals. Probably what they needed, a tough match to get them focussed.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penrith are well set up for success for the next 3-4 years and this criticism is premature regardless... the Panthers are still in the running for this season's premiership --> will make the Preliminary Final vs the Storm and the Storm will have less benefit from their victory over the Sea Eagles in not being able to play in Melbourne

that said, the Panthers reputation wise have suffered a bit with some of the on field antics of the likes of Luai, Crichton and co. and I. Cleary and Brandy off it

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Panthers are the new chokers. Maybe they should sack Cleary and sign Flanno. Apart from Robbo, he's the only one capable of beating Bellamy during finals time.
Des 2008 grand final slaughter

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Silly article really. There still a massive chance this year. If they get bundled out then write the piece. If they beat Parra, which they should then it’s a massive prelim vs storm. If they win that everyone will be saying how great they are. I’ve watched a lot of there games this year, if they click there almost unstoppable

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Silly article really. There still a massive chance this year. If they get bundled out then write the piece. If they beat Parra, which they should then it’s a massive prelim vs storm. If they win that everyone will be saying how great they are. I’ve watched a lot of there games this year, if they click there almost unstoppable
When they're not under scoreboard pressure they play well. When they get behind in a big game a bit of that cuzzy-bro shit starts to wear off and they panic IMO. They will beat Parra but get obliterated by Melbourne and their constant pressure.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
When they're not under scoreboard pressure they play well. When they get behind in a big game a bit of that cuzzy-bro shit starts to wear off and they panic IMO. They will beat Parra but get obliterated by Melbourne and their constant pressure.
South’s forward pack completely dominated penriths. Leota will help no doubt coming back, but I was surprised how ineffective they were in the middle.

Northern Beaches dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really do not know what the hype was around Staines.
His first game he scored 4 tries, all 4 of them where he really caught the ball 10 metres out and scored untouched and people like Vossy were going crazy.
Its as if he was like Utai who had to catch the ball and steamrolled defenders to get the tries.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His first game he scored 4 tries, all 4 of them where he really caught the ball 10 metres out and scored untouched and people like Vossy were going crazy.
Its as if he was like Utai who had to catch the ball and steamrolled defenders to get the tries.
He's a potplant

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fark, the Panthers are gunna miss the GF!

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
He's useless. If you added up the metres he's ran in his whole tally of tries so far it'd be lucky to be 200m. Overhyped bog average dud.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This is why I laughed when people were talking about them as a dynasty earlier in the year while Cleary, Fletcher and co were blowing themselves for how "successful" they are..

No one gives a shit about regular season wins if you can't win a premiership. You're not successful until you've won a premiership. At least Cleary can get a trophy for the smug **** of the year award.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Melbourne will beat penrith in a trott in the prelim,they are choking badly again. can't wait to see the look on Ivan and Brandy's faces when the storm destroy the flogs.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
They can be put off their game if they get riled- wanting to get square on the ground, instead of the scoreboard.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
He's useless. If you added up the metres he's ran in his whole tally of tries so far it'd be lucky to be 200m. Overhyped bog average dud.
Off topic, I know; but I think the same of the Rooster's Tupou. He is tall, and can finish a try; but he has no strength for his size, and is easily pushed over the sideline or tackled to the ground.