Even Politis not happy

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Wed, 1 September 2021, 3:26 pm AEST

Sydney Roosters supremo Nick Politis has lashed the NRL over the state of the competition, the game's most powerful club boss warning fans will stop watching if rules aren't wound back.
The first full year of set restarts has resulted in the highest-scoring season in 20 years, with average margins also at the highest level since the Super League war.
The Roosters remain one of the clubs largely benefiting from the faster game, with the likes of James Tedesco keeping them in the hunt despite a multitude of injuries.
But Politis remains unimpressed.

The long-time Roosters chairman said the game was nothing like it was in decades gone by, and claimed fans of many teams would lose hope next season if set restart rules didn't go away.
"I think (the product) is worse," Politis told Roosters Radio.
"If you're a fan of one of those eight teams at the bottom without attacking players, I think their fans are going to get really pissed off and turn off the TV.
"You can't keep watching your team keep losing by 30 or 40 or 50 or 60 points week after week.
"That's the thing I am always arguing with the NRL, we need to go back to the game we've had, and had for over 100 years."
In a record-breaking season of rugby league, Melbourne are on the verge of the greatest points-scoring year of all time while also becoming the first team to pass 40 at least 10 times.
Manly's back three have also set try-scoring records, while South Sydney became the first team in history to score 30 points in eight straight games.
But there has been another side to those figures.
For the first time in history, two sides will qualify for the finals with a negative for-and-against.
Average margins have this year have blown out to beyond three converted tries for the first time in the NRL-era, surpassing the mark of 16.8 from 2002.
Round 16 was the most lopsided in two decades, prompting ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys to launch an impassioned defence of the game's rules.
At the time, V'landys claimed it was on struggling clubs to adapt to the rules given the game had merely taken away their chance to slow down the ruck and create a stop-start game.
NRL CEO Andrew Abdo also said over the weekend that the game was in a consolidation phase with rules, after a fan survey showed 65 per cent of respondents thought the speed was "just right".
But Politis isn't convinced battling teams will adapt.
"If we don't go back to where we were and change some of those rules back, right now we can all predict next year's outcome," he said.
"The same three or four or five clubs will be at the top. There won't be a change.
"Most the clubs don't have those attacking players, there's not enough of those players to go around for all 16 clubs competitive with the new rules."

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Scabby **** has just got the sooks on now his club isn't freewheeling from premiership to premiership. He would've thought the game was the ducks nuts just a few short years ago. Pity the NRL don't grow some balls and tell the **** to get back in his box, he shitty opinions should carry zero weight compared to other people in the game.
Yes the NRL is shit. A joke of a supposed "professional organisation". But it has been that way for around 10 or so years now. Why didn't he speak up when his team was winning comps in that time?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I like that Politis and Robinson are challenging the NRL so publicly. If the other 15 clubs grew some balls and did the same, then they'd have to change the rules back.

Too bad the NRL would rather be stubborn and run the game into the ground than admit they were wrong and change it back.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It’s a interesting debate. I see his point. But I also know Nick doesn’t do anything that is not in the roosters favour.
As a example if you research young fellas comming through. The roosters have bought big body youngsters. I’d suggest those forwards are not mobile quick.

So although I agree with his statement. I know defensive patterns have changed. No longer are teams looking for big hits or leg tackles. And quick agile backs. Not strong massive cumbersome types.

I’d suggest we all take his comments with that in mind

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm with the old fart. It's hard to see anyone else win the premiership next year than Storm, Roosters, Souths and Panthers.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You people do realise this came from the broadcasters who run the game. They were bored with the product, the wrestlemania rubbish. Hence make the game more entertaining or we won’t fund the game

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Bravo.....the novelty is fading. NRL trying to polish a turd.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The problem with the polls they run about fan satisfaction are that they don't take into account that people who already lost interest because the game is now shit more than likely didn't vote. I certainly had no fucking clue that this poll was being run.

As much as I agree with what Politis has said, like others have mentioned he probably has his own agenda with it or he wouldn't have spoken out about things. But at this point I don't know if I'll ever get back to being a league tragic like I was once. I used to see it as a game for the fans that was developed by and for the working classes a century (ish) ago. Now watch the game and it seems like it's increasingly becoming a tool to take money off gamblers. It pisses me off immensely that rules are no longer set in stone as they should be. As soon as you introduce enough grey areas for referees to judge on the level of rule breaking it's surely going to bring into question whether refs suffer bias or are open to cheating. I stopped watching SOO because I saw numerous cases of referee discretion being wrongly applied to cost teams not only games but entire SOO series. So what was once a very exciting period of the football year for me now makes me feel bitter that our game has changed to the point where I can't help but assume it's rorted.

So in conclusion, they need to not only fuck this set restart bullshit off, they also need to go over the rules and wipe out any area where there's grey area. And there's a hell of a lot of grey area now.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The more interesting questions are why has it taken so long, and when it finally happens why is it Politis?

Something is going on.
Not sure, maybe the attempted murder of Manu and defence from Gus has pushed him over the edge lol.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not sure, maybe the attempted murder of Manu and defence from Gus has pushed him over the edge lol.
He can't see the chooks winning this season, he wants to go back to the way things were when they won 2 in a row...

No I'm getting at his influence, there is no doubt he has a lot, as much as Ken Farterson and Bullfrog at their height. He hasn't just woken up one morning and decided to say this, a decision somewhere has been reached, and he is part of it.

How much longer has Vlandys got?

Reactions: ATT