Rumour Brandon smith done deal

Mr T

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I saw Mitch play last weekend and he just doesn't offer anything more than we already have currently. Surely BBO & JMK tide us over for 2022 until something better turns up on the radar.
That's fair. I think his experience would be good, particularly with Burton and Dufty in the spine, but he's certainly not a top-line hooker.

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Cheese has just went mouldy.
The Fox bad hammy turns into a turtle.
Oh shit.

BahaMan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have a sneaky suspicion that Josh Cook is being touted as our next 9. I read somewhere we signed him for 4 years which is a long deal. The kid was considered one of Souths best prospects.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I have a sneaky suspicion that Josh Cook is being touted as our next 9. I read somewhere we signed him for 4 years which is a long deal. The kid was considered one of Souths best prospects.
I know nothing about him but I'm pretty certain he will be our starting hooker, I just can't see any of our current players starting ahead of new recruits.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I hope cook is a hidden gem like how cook was when cook left us, now cook comes to us and has the potential to be the next cook literally.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope cook is a hidden gem like how cook was when cook left us, now cook comes to us and has the potential to be the next cook literally.
Too many cooks spoil the...... hooker :p

Hope he is half as good as Damien. That will make him 6 times better then JMK and 11.3 times better then Katoa.

If he can pass the ball and hit a player running onto it. And can make some tackles he is the best hooker in Canterbury Bankstown since excellor ave closed due to Covid.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Has the deal fallen over @sleepy dog or is Gussy playing test cricket?
We have to give @sleepy benefit of the doubt here on a couple of things, he mentioned Brandon agreed to terms, but the year was not specified, Gould did not deny 2023. The announcement is said to be post seasons end, we’re not there just yet, and, the Storm & Bulldogs were supposedly negotiating a player swap. Now a player swap is only required for 22, the year after, it’s fair game. Maybe Brandon’s position was subject to Storm agreeing to 22 and a fair player swap in the eyes of the Storm and they couldn’t meet in the middle? Maybe the fact the new QLD franchise is back on the radar is having an impact?

I will highlight that Gus is not going to announce a major player signing on social media because a random footy fan asked him the question one fine afternoon, the reality is, he’s going to remain tight lipped on “the event or “events”, whatever they are, as he should… there are plenty of mind games and a great deal of responsibility that comes with being the head of football at a big Sydney club so he’s doing his job to aplomb.

If Sleepy’s wrong, he’s wrong… we can’t shoot the messenger at a point in time. Players change their minds and contracts/negotiations contain a thousand caveats attached to them… the guy nailed TPJ and Dufty well in advance, he’s still got the good oil however it plays out.

Last edited:

BahaMan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have to give @sleepy benefit of the doubt here on a couple of things, he mentioned Brandon agreed to terms, but the year was not specified, Gould did not deny 2023. The announcement is said to be post seasons end, we’re not there just yet, and, the Storm & Bulldogs we’re supposedly negotiating a player swap. Now a player swap is only required for 22, the year after, it’s fair game. Maybe Brandon’s position was subject Storm agreeing to 22 and a fair player swap in the eyes of the Storm and they could meet in the middle? Maybe the fact the new QLD franchise is back on the radar is having an impact?

I will highlight that Gus is not going to announce a major player signing on social media because a random footy fan asked him the question one fine afternoon, the reality is, he’s going to remain tight lipped on “the event or “events”, whatever they are, as he should… there are plenty of mind games and a great deal of responsibility that comes with being the head of football at a big Sydney club so he’s going his job to aplomb.

If Sleepy’s wrong, he’s wrong… we can’t shoot the messenger at a point in time. Players change their minds and contracts/negotiations contain a thousand caveats attached to them… the guy nailed TPJ and Dufty well in advance, he’s still got the good oil however it plays out.
100% with you there mate. Big sleepy oil fan. All a bit of fun keeping us interested in the dogs. If people are getting worked up about a bloke getting some misinformation they need to have a word with themselves.

sleepy dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Guys I put this out there and I’m backing the information I have. Yes things change but like I’ve said from the beginning there’s so many variables In this signature but we may just have to wait 12 month to see this come through. I’m putting all my eggs in one basket but don’t shoot the messenger. Hopefully I’ll have an update for you guys in a few weeks after seasons over

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think Mitch Rein would be a good pickup. Some experience in the spine, would be cheap and an instant upgrade on what we have. He’d tide us over until (if) we can upgrade to a better option.
Yessss! Make it Rein down on Belmore, Baby!

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guys I put this out there and I’m backing the information I have. Yes things change but like I’ve said from the beginning there’s so many variables In this signature but we may just have to wait 12 month to see this come through. I’m putting all my eggs in one basket but don’t shoot the messenger. Hopefully I’ll have an update for you guys in a few weeks after seasons over
Thanks Sleepy, for what it’s worth, we appreciate the good oil and sharing it with TK, your not one to come on here every few minutes spreading wild rumours, they’ve been laser accurate to date so when you do post, we listen. At the end of the day, any positive news provides a bit of upside to another ordinary season and it’s a bit of fun discussing it as @BahaMan rightfully called out.

Technically, the oil is still valid.. I’m going to back you in too but I’m thinking the signing would be for 2023 unless there’s movement on Thompson for 2022 behind the scenes to free up that Champ Cheese money.

Storm need to pick who their long term Hooker is because they can’t financially keep two of the best 9’s in the game, it’s Harry’s injuries and inconsistent form clouding the Storm, but in our favour, Harry can only play 9, Smith isn’t playing backup anymore and Melbourne disrespected Smith by giving him permission to negotiate which is a backhanded way of saying “we think Harry’s our future and the loyalty you showed waiting behind Cameron means sweet FA”

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I appreciate any insight provided, even if it doesn't come to fruition.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is everyone delusional? Do any of you people listen to Gus' podcast? He has said the same thing the past two weeks - the Bulldogs salary cap for 2022 is now full and we have some issues for 2023 because our cap in 2022 is full - he has said this, likely because some players, including Burton, will need upgrades for 2023 and beyond. Then he also goes on to say that Cheese won't be leaving Melbourne because Melbourne don't lose star players unless they choose to, and they want to keep Cheese. So there is no way we are getting Cheese. I wish we could, but we can't - we don't have the cap space and Melbourne don't want to let him go.
The truth is Melbourne spend close 1 million over the salary cap in tpa that's why they can keep everyone they want.

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Balls on the line gamble.... i like it