Luke Thompson consolidated thread

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Tough one for all the reasons said above, pros and cons.

I can't see a player/manager mouthing off something so blatent as this without consulting the player first before going on record.

Also it has shades of the slash and burn tactics of the Anderson Board. Only one player at this stage (and only speculation) ...but our best forward amongst a very poor bunch.

We'd be left with the plodders and lose the one elite forward we have, at present, to join Vaughan and TPJ next year.

Maybe Gus has others lined up and we'll have to see how it pans out but seems all too familiar a strategy that really badly affected the team, although this time we do have some quality coming in for next year.

There's plenty need to go well before Thommo, on face value, but I guess we'll have to wait as Gus' plan unfolds.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This sucker punch from his manager would have worked three months ago, we would have shit the bed and fucked our cap for the next five years, but he has got fuck all chance of getting 850k out of gus for a middle forward. I love thommo but I love the club more. Tell your mercenary manager to STFU Luke, be part of the solution not the problem, because this club will turn around with or without you. I hope you stay but the days of the club being fucked in the ass by player managers and the admin letting it happen are over. So happy Gus is at this club.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The article is a manager inspired beat up. I hardly think any club is going to get suckered into a four year contract. The game has swung back in favour of the clubs in player contracts. The trend is towards shorter and not longer deals. Besides, he is contracted to the dogs and if the club rebounds next year, players will not be so keen to move to the unknown.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The article is a manager inspired beat up. I hardly think any club is going to get suckered into a four year contract. The game has swung back in favour of the clubs in player contracts. The trend is towards shorter and not longer deals. Besides, he is contracted to the dogs and if the club rebounds next year, players will not be so keen to move to the unknown.
You will always get desperate clubs like the tigers who will pay overs....what fukin annoys me with this article is the dogs not coming out and saying he is under contract for 2 more years and is going nowhere.....we need to fukin toughen up and take a stance against these greedy player managers...look at the storm dogs and learn!

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I am sure Thommo sees what’s happening with Gus on board and the players that are coming. I doubt he wants to play for a club always challenging for 9th as apposed to a Powerhouse club on the way back to premiership contention..

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Im a huge fan of Thompson and I want him to stay. The thing is Gus is about value for money. If he really is in 850 k per year you could probably find two props that can punch out 100m each for that same price maybe even 3!. Plus they are spread over 2 or 3 bodies not one, thats a big deal with injuries and suspension being a constant burden.

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If he can get 850k take it and run. I would prefer to keep him but not at that price tag.
Luke is on $725k fact !, next year €750k, it’s not his agent that has put him in the shop window and chasing more money or a longer deal, it’s your shithouse club that has done that, Luke wants to stay and honour his contract
There are 5 NRL clubs waiting that he can walk straight into, if I was Luke I’d f..k the dogs right off and leave us all too it !!

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Luke is on $725k fact !, next year €750k, it’s not his agent that has put him in the shop window and chasing more money or a longer deal, it’s your shithouse club that has done that, Luke wants to stay and honour his contract
There are 5 NRL clubs waiting that he can walk straight into, if I was Luke I’d f..k the dogs right off and leave us all too it !!
I think he will have his best year of football and his worth will really be shown in 2022 with the new additional players around him.

Fact is moral, positivity and energy is bounced off each other

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The only value that matters is what is in the Cap, the stuff that is outside the Cap is irrelevant. No one cares if we pay transfer fees, international relocation expenses for Thomo and his partner, their quarantine costs, a couple of cars, education expenses, housing, etc.

Also keep in mind that journos will always report the highest number possible and then round it up a $100k or so just for the headlines.

Thomo is not on $850k in the Cap, not even close.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think he will have his best year of football and his worth will really be shown in 2022 with the new additional players around him.

Fact is moral, positivity and energy is bounced off each other
I agree Luke will have a great season in 2022 but unfortunately it may be in a Roosters shirt
Bulldogs beggar to belief !

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When it comes to this sort of thing "the club" actually means one or two key decisions makers. Who are they?

Brendan07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Yeah but salary cap value different for top team and bottom team. E.g. Murray wouldn't think about coming to the dogs unless we offered him 1m (even then).
That is the point though. You can’t build a top side overpaying. It fails every time.

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This sucker punch from his manager would have worked three months ago, we would have shit the bed and fucked our cap for the next five years, but he has got fuck all chance of getting 850k out of gus for a middle forward. I love thommo but I love the club more. Tell your mercenary manager to STFU Luke, be part of the solution not the problem, because this club will turn around with or without you. I hope you stay but the days of the club being fucked in the ass by player managers and the admin letting it happen are over. So happy Gus is at this club.
Thompson's well paid. I don't think it's a money thing from his end. I think it's early for extension talks too.
your spot on, Luke is on $725k end off, Gus is offering him to other clubs, salary cap is lopsided, his agent was informed to speak on Luke,s behalf, his Canterbury Bulldogs Dream has become a nightmare
Luke wants to stay, only God knows why !!!!

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree Luke will have a great season in 2022 but unfortunately it may be in a Roosters shirt
Bulldogs beggar to belief !
i have a suspicion he will go to the roosters sooner rather than later - hope im wrong

Last edited:

Actros

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes, @Actros is my daddy.
It’s some spin that article, It’s shameful, the club/Gus has put Luke in the shop window, the salary cap is a mess, it’s nothing to do with extending his current contract or upping his €725k salary, Andy Clarke (agent) great bloke by the way, has been told to speak with other clubs, there’s a few offers to think over but Luke wants to stay, the lads gutted to be honest, I’d leave you all for the Roosters if I was him and let the dogs pay % of his salary for the pleasure