Luke Thompson consolidated thread

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Not hard with the calibre of players around him. A player on his salary should be put to better use that can win you games. You name me a player from any of the most recent successful teams that is paying a prop @ +$800k. Over paying players in not critical positions is a major reason why we are at the bottom of the table. I’m tired of it, and if hard decisions need to be made that don’t make sense right now like offloading Thompson then I’m all for it. Im sick of this shit, we’ve been pathetic way too long.
You’re assuming his salary because of rumour.
But I hear what you’re getting at.
I just don’t agree releasing a player like Thommo when we’ve got so many off contract and others with way less ability. Gus has already said we’re cap compliant for 2022 and that must include all our acquisitions. It sounds like the cap might need some surgery for 2023/24 but it’s not on life support like it was 2018-20.

And yes. We’re all sick of the pain. Definitely.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
That is STILL too much. I repeat Cam Murray is on that figure and he’s twice the player. It’s half our issue we have overpaid for average plodders
Yeah but salary cap value different for top team and bottom team. E.g. Murray wouldn't think about coming to the dogs unless we offered him 1m (even then).

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He’s frustrating. Hands down our best player this year, but with suspensions only play 60% of matches which is simply not good enough.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not disputing he’s not well paid.
But only he, his manager, the club and the NRL know. Media speculation is just that.
The reality is, desperate needs call for desperate measures...
I like Thompson and prefer to keep him but I don't believe his worth yes 850k and if he is drumming up trouble in an attempt to increase his wages or extend his contract then the club should remind him that he is barking at wrong tree,
But then there is the thought that he might not be happy here.
If cap space can't be created differently to sign a halfback ( Pearce ) then unfortunately the other the scenario would be to release him, That's desperate measures !

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I like Thompson and prefer to keep him but I don't believe his worth yes 850k and if he is drumming up trouble in an attempt to increase his wages or extend his contract then the club should remind him that he is barking at wrong tree,
If cap space can't be created differently to sign a halfback ( Pearce ) then unfortunately the other the scenario would be to release him, That's desperate measures !
Thompson's well paid. I don't think it's a money thing from his end. I think it's early for extension talks too.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Roosters will have plenty will sign him for 500k on the cap plus 500k in paper bags

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Is it him? I doubt it.
His manager most likely and he can bugger off.
I don’t think anyone believes a prop is worth 7 figures.
The bigger headaches are moving on flops who are taking up cap space. I get it that that’s easier said than done when there would be no takers for some of them.
Pearce would be a mistake in my view.

Saint Fishy

Previously gareth fishwick
Reaction score
Thompson comes from a family not short of money so i don’t think that he’s personally motivated by coin. Either his agent wants more commission, or the Dogs no longer think he’s worth the money and are trying to make him feel unwelcome??? I dunno.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not disputing he’s not well paid.
But only he, his manager, the club and the NRL know. Media speculation is just that.
Exactly. And if he is on 850k, his manager is a moron if he thinks he can get more then that for him!!! So this to me says thT he is not on that amount. Probably closer to the 725k suggested.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who wants any of those players? It is what it is. We can't just go back into salary cap hell.

Gus said the other day that our biggest problem is we have too many 400-600K players who just aren't that good that should be min wage or thereabouts trying to make there mark. We just were so bad we overpaid for a load of crap.
While he isn’t wrong, one problem is if you can’t attract big name talent, and the rules state you must pay your squad at least 95% off the cap, you end up having to pay minimum wage players overs to remain compliant. Of course then you can’t do that for one season of their contract only so it’s snowballs.

Having most of the squad on 1-2 year deals can limit that effect, which the club has been doing.