Shaun Johnson consolidated thread

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Burton will make a huge difference and take a shitload of responsibility off Averillo.

If we sign Johnson I give it two games before people complain about his dumb decisions and poor mistakes as well.
i would rather take the chance and gamble on johnson then be stuck with no johnson and have no choice but for either averillo and flanagan.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i would rather take the chance and gamble on johnson then be stuck with no johnson and have no choice but for either averillo and flanagan.
I'm more confident in Burton than others. Today proved we need more than another half or two. Our pack is still woeful and realistically, only Thompson and Jackson are starting calibre players. Plus we need a hooker more than anything.

I'd rather all the cap space go towards a hooker and forwards because we could have Joey and Thurston but with this pack and hooker, we'd still struggle to win games.

Reactions: CMP

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm more confident in Burton than others. Today proved we need more than another half or two. Our pack is still woeful and realistically, only Thompson and Jackson are starting calibre players. Plus we need a hooker more than anything.

I'd rather all the cap space go towards a hooker and forwards because we could have Joey and Thurston but with this pack and hooker, we'd still struggle to win games.
Mate we need a 9 and a 7

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we signed Johnson and it's announced soon, do you think they should put Averillo at fullback towards the end of the season and just ride it out with Wakeham and Lewis/Flanagan (as bad as that would be) for the last few games?

If Averillo is going to be fullback next season, then they might as well give him some games there this season to adapt. It's not like Meaney is setting the world on fire.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we signed Johnson and it's announced soon, do you think they should put Averillo at fullback towards the end of the season and just ride it out with Wakeham and Lewis/Flanagan (as bad as that would be) for the last few games?

If Averillo is going to be fullback next season, then they might as well give him some games there this season to adapt. It's not like Meaney is setting the world on fire.
Not a bad idea really. Averillo is most dangerous when he is running the ball anyway. Maybe we play Flanagan as a way to put him in the shop window with the hope somebody gets sucked in and takes him off our hands

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Not a bad idea really. Averillo is most dangerous when he is running the ball anyway. Maybe we play Flanagan as a way to put him in the shop window with the hope somebody gets sucked in and takes him off our hands
The only problem with that is, if Flanagan keeps playing shit then no one will want him. But he's struggling in Reserves and they scout those games anyway so it's the same thing really.. Hopefully he shows something and attracts interest from another club.

I'm still indifferent on signing Johnson and wouldn't hate it if we did. But if we did, then moving Jake to fullback this season makes sense.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

That is a good idea, we aren’t going to win that many games. I rather Averillo make mistakes this season then next year.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Meaney signs elsewhere, and we sign Johnson, I’d definitely put Averillo at FB, get him used to taking bombs, defending there, positional play, organising defence.
If we get Johnson I’d go

Averillo
cotric
Allan
Schoupp
Okunbor / Meaney

Lewis / Wakeham / Flanagan at 6/7 - maybe try BBO?

why bother with Hoppa.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
If Meaney signs elsewhere, and we sign Johnson, I’d definitely put Averillo at FB, get him used to taking bombs, defending there, positional play, organising defence.
If we get Johnson I’d go

Averillo
cotric
Allan
Schoupp
Okunbor / Meaney

Lewis / Wakeham / Flanagan at 6/7 - maybe try BBO?

why bother with Hoppa.
I don't think we bought Naden to start in the reserves, maybe if he turns out like Allan (so far) he'll be in reserves later on.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Once more

Avo to 1
SJ to 7
Burton to 6
Jmk keeps 9 for now (unless we get a big name)

even That looks a lot better for 22 already.!!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
benji marshall has more substance than shaun johnson, shaun has never done anything of note except some good sidesteps in space in regular season nrl games on poor teams

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

So what happens when Burton gets injured if we don't recruit an experienced HB for next year? We're back to Wakeham or Flanno. No thanks. I'll rather have Avo as a backup HB for injuries.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Once more

Avo to 1
SJ to 7
Burton to 6

I wasn't keen on SJ a month ago due to his injuries, inconsistencies and age. However looking at his stats last year and his form over the last few weeks he's the best option available. Even at half his best he's still better than all the halves at our club by a fair margin.

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
Once more

Avo to 1
SJ to 7
Burton to 6

I think since we have wakeham should play him at hooker no need to spend money on jmk for another year.
1 avo
6 burton
7 SJ
9 wakeham

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think since we have wakeham should play him at hooker no need to spend money on jmk for another year.
1 avo
6 burton
7 SJ
9 wakeham
We experimented with Wakeham at 9 pre season and it must of been pretty bad because it didn't even get to the trials.

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
We experimented with Wakeham at 9 pre season and it must of been pretty bad because it didn't even get to the trials.
His been good in defence and can kick, pass and run.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
His been good in defence and can kick, pass and run.
He can put a shot on but not sure if he can defend in the middle for big minutes or run (fast) tbh.