Social Media Dale finucane

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Craig Bellamy has vowed he and the Storm will do “whatever we can” to keep off-contract forward Dale Finucane, while Cooper Cronk has revealed just high highly Bellamy thinks of the workhorse forward.

It’s understood several clubs are chasing Finucane’s signature, with the 29-year-old previously conceding that salary cap pressure could force him to take up a deal with a rival.

Bellamy was asked after Melbourne’s win on Saturday whether there was any update on Finucane’s future and he revealed that the club was working towards an offer for the representative forward.

“Dale wants to know as well and we’re just trying to put an offer to him that he will hopefully accept,” he said.

“I know our recruitment guys are working really hard on that and trying to find some dollars here and dollars there just to fit into our cap.”

The Storm recently lost the signature of rising star Nicho Hyneswho inked a three-year deal with the Sharks, starting in 2022. Bellamy is hopeful that the club can at least use that as an opportunity to throw more money at Finucane.

“It probably does,” he said when asked if Hynes’ exit will help.

“I’m not sure how much we’ve saved there or can get to Dale, but you’d like to think that’s made it a better chance. As far as I’m concerned, we’ll do whatever we can to keep him because he’s such an important part of this club.”

Not much earlier in the night Finucane stood in front of the Fox League cameras donning a swollen eye and busted lip — but a smile too. It summed up the never-say-die attitude that Finucane embodies.

It’s that work ethic, along with his professionalism that Bellamy most admires.

“He’s one player I’d hate to lose,” he said.

“I just love the way he plays, he just turns up every week and puts full effort in for however long he plays. He puts his head where a lot of people wouldn’t put their foot.

“The other thing around that, what he does off the field as well. The standards that he sets in training and preparation... I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone that prepares better than Dale Finucane.

“I’ve been in the game for a long time but I’ve never seen anyone that sets a better standard on and off the field than Dale.”

Cronk spent 13 seasons under Bellamy at the Storm and in three of those he played with Finucane so has a pretty good grasp on just how fond of Finucane the club is.

“Reading through that press conference it looks like it’s on a dicey edge whether he stays or go,” he said.

“He would never say this, Craig Bellamy, but Dale Finucane is one of his top three favourite players of all time. Him, Ryan Hinchcliffe and Dallas Johnson. They’re the type of players... Brandon Smith... he loves that type of warhorse character that will do everything.

“Very reliable, might not be able to play x-factor type of football but you know what you’re going to get every week.

“It would be a sad day for Craig Bellamy, personally, if Dale Finucane has to leave that football club.”

Michael Ennis also had the pleasure of playing with Finucane at the Bulldogs. And it seems Finucane has always been in demand with Ennis revealing the Sharks have tried to make a play for him in the past.

He believes Finucane’s future seems like it’s very much still up in the air but also revealed an insight into what Bellamy thinks of this season’s co-captain.

“I love Dale. I was lucky enough to have him come through when I was at Canterbury. I’ll never forget when I heard there was a chance that Dale would leave Canterbury. I just couldn’t believe that they wouldn’t fight tooth and nail to keep him there,” he said.

“As Craig said, not just what he brought on the field, it’s what Dale brought off the field.

“I remember being at a training session at Cronulla and Shane Flanagan called me over midway through the session. He just said to me ‘what do you think about Finucane?’ and I said ‘mate, let’s get him’ so he said ‘righto.’

“Then within 20 minutes he came back over and said ‘no, Craig the bastard, he’s already got him.’

“To me he just epitomises everything that Craig Bellamy looks for in a footy player.”

If Bellamy thinks this highly of a player I don't think we could go wrong signing him.
Imagine if we had a player like that coming through our grades. We'd never let him go. Oh wait! Thanks Des!

P.S. How has Des escaped being kneecapped by a Dogs fan by now?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Imagine if we had a player like that coming through our grades. We'd never let him go. Oh wait! Thanks Des!

P.S. How has Des escaped being kneecapped by a Dogs fan by now?
I know. He just decimated us in so many ways...but was allowed to by that management. Then followed a period of more incompetent, or naive, decisions by the next lot. To their credit they did begin the process of reinstating our junior pathways but their roster management, and contracts dealt out, was a far cry from what was good business.

Our hopes rest with this current lot.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know. He just decimated us in so many ways...but was allowed to by that management. Then followed a period of more incompetent, or naive, decisions by the next lot. To their credit they did begin the process of reinstating our junior pathways but their roster management, and contracts dealt out, was a far cry from what was good business.

Our hopes rest with this current lot.
If they had full intentions of destroying the club, they couldn't have done a better job if they tried. :(

racin jason

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Under Des our club lost it's identity and our DNA was damaged. Under Pay our team were allowed to think losing was okay (not saying that was all his fault). The damage done in a few short years is taking a lot longer than we would all like to repair. Playerslike Finucane are what we need to restore a winning culture and that Bulldogs DNA.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Other than Ava we don’t have one seasoned front rower/ middle of Nrl experience. Finnucane for 3 years at a fair price is an absolute no brainer. Makes his tackles and makes minimal errors. We are crying out for a solid middle defender that can stay on for long stints. Compare that to Adam Elliot? Dale is a former captain of lower grades i would offer him the captaincy as well.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Other than Ava we don’t have one seasoned front rower/ middle of Nrl experience. Finnucane for 3 years at a fair price is an absolute no brainer. Makes his tackles and makes minimal errors. We are crying out for a solid middle defender that can stay on for long stints. Compare that to Adam Elliot? Dale is a former captain of lower grades i would offer him the captaincy as well.
How much does he want?

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I like the sound of Finucane back at Belmore. Has a feel good story which can create a wave of emotion and momentum. At 3yrs it’s potential that he finishes his career where it started. Does his job (well) inspirational and professional. He would definitely teach the young guys a thing or two. Again, the price needs to be right but sell him the dream, get JAC into his ear also and maybe he might take a little less to come home. Then target a big fish up front and that’s the forwards sorted for 2022 at least (also need a 9)

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How much does he want?
He's currently on 500k at the Storm, he's going to get that at least, but probably a little bit more wherever he goes (600k you'd have a good shot), also 3-4 years. I think he has Cowboys or Sharks written all over him.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Wave of emotion :grinning:

He's currently on 500k at the Storm, he's going to get that at least, but probably a little bit more wherever he goes (600k you'd have a good shot), also 3-4 years. I think he has Cowboys or Sharks written all over him.
For us 600k and 4 years is probably overs.

As everyone keeps saying, these high paying, long contracts where guys are in the twilight of their careers have killed us.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wave of emotion :grinning:

For us 600k and 4 years is probably overs.

As everyone keeps saying, these high paying, long contracts where guys are in the twilight of their careers have killed us.
Well we need a prop and we can't keep being cellar dwellers. He's the best available off contract. We've already missed out on the ideal props. I guess we're praying someone contracted pops up.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
600? 3 or 4 years? gtfo of here LOL No knock on the guy but what does he offer that JJ doesn't? Dale Is probably going a bit better i suppose and is 1 year younger but he can't be worth that much we wouldn't be in that conversation surely..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
600? 3 or 4 years? gtfo of here LOL No knock on the guy but what does he offer that JJ doesn't? Dale Is probably going a bit better i suppose and is 1 year younger but he can't be worth that much we wouldn't be in that conversation surely..
If we aren't offering something around those figures and years we're not going to be in the conversation, he'll go to the Cowboys or Sharks. Jackson and Finucane are different players, Jackson's a "second rower" and Finucane's a prop. We also don't have any leaders after Jackson. There's also nothing else on the market. All things we need to weigh up really.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tbh i hope we aren't, he doesn't help us much for replacing Napa on the same type of money? Then again Taupau is on more next year is older etc it's hard alright fuck idk, some news would be good bulldogs recruitment people!!

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
If we aren't offering something around those figures and years we're not going to be in the conversation, he'll go to the Cowboys or Sharks. Jackson and Finucane are different players, Jackson's a "second rower" and Finucane's a prop. We also don't have any leaders after Jackson. There's also nothing else on the market. All things we need to weigh up really.
You better go back and look at your sums.

600k for Dale. How much is left.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Thompson is our forward leader.

I love finucane but agree. Fuck no. Not a 3-4 year deal at 600k.

He’s worth it for now. Won’t be soon. He’s also great for his role there. Not for what we need.

We need a Pangai type body. Finucane is a bigger version of Jackson.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Thompson is our forward leader.

I love finucane but agree. Fuck no. Not a 3-4 year deal at 600k.

He’s worth it for now. Won’t be soon. He’s also great for his role there. Not for what we need.

We need a Pangai type body. Finucane is a bigger version of Jackson.
If TPJ's available I'd take him over Finucane on talent (we know he's going to come with negatives too, but probably outweighed).

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
180 99kg Jackson, 188 102kg Finucane their too similar we need line benders not another 3 inch taller JJ i think their very alike as i said DF playing better but not what we need really.
I'd have Taupau over him 2 years, money is an issue there too probably(or for year 2 at least)

No brainer to take TPJ over Dale would be well worth the risk imo

xreedmatic

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Would love Finucane back though we cant have Finucane, Jackson and Elliott on the books.

Elliott is mentality worn out and needs a new scenery

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We probably paid $600k or more to resign Elliott another Barrett dud decision ,hasn’t shown any interest all season