Matt Burton consolidated thread

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Mixed bag.
Positives
- first kick should have resulted in a try Chrighton didn't dive for the ball.
- Almost scored off a big left foot step.
- few great bombs.
- defended Leiluia well.
- good try in the second half.
- good support play for the line break.

Negatives.
- couple of bombs miss placed.
- Ran the ball on last when he should of kicked.
- Drop out, out on the full.( Game was over by then.
- one pass hit the ground.

Considering he hadent played in that position for months. With a shit halfback next to him and a beaten forward pack not a bad performance if you ask me.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Agreed ,he was one , some others that played very average on Friday compared to other weeks Kikau , May , Staines , Edwards , Leniu
I really thought this was going to be Lenius breakout game in first grade... No doubt a talent but he's got a way to go yet

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some of you guys need to watch the round 3 Panthers vs Knights game from last year. Burton is a freakish talent, but unless you guys fix your pack up to at least a serviceable standard you are going to be very disappointed. It could take him a few years to become dominant as an NRL level half. Look at Cleary, he has always shown promise, but it's really only since he racked up 80 or so first grade games that he has reached god tier. Cleary also has the luxury of a pretty formidable team around him, something Matt wont have at Belmore next year. I'd hate to see his career fucked up by the weight of expectation. Hopefully he is given the time and tools to reach his capabilities.
Spot on. If these players don't have the support around them or get quality ball nothing is going to change. A Champion team will always be better than a team of Champions.

dog 4life

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Train Nathan Cleary out of position and put him in the centre for 12 rounds then throw him back in the halfs and see how he goes! The panthers are deliberately trying to convert him to play center so he can stay with them and now he doesn't know how to organise the team on his first game back in the halfs !? They absolutely doing the kid no favours by playing him in centres. Either he stays in reserves or play full time in halfs if they really care about developing his career.
But yeh i guess they want what's best for him that's why they didn't release him

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Train Nathan Cleary out of position and put him in the centre for 12 rounds then throw him back in the halfs and see how he goes! The panthers are deliberately trying to convert him to play center so he can stay with them and now he doesn't know how to organise the team on his first game back in the halfs !? They absolutely doing the kid no favours by playing him in centres. Either he stays in reserves or play full time in halfs if they really care about developing his career.
But yeh i guess they want what's best for him that's why they didn't release him
Lay off the crack. He is playing in the centres because that it what is best for the team this year. He is not going to backflip on his deal with you guys, and even if he did we couldnt afford to keep him with the other offers that would flood in. It's a safe bet that Ivan hasn't given a second thought as to how he plays Burton this year will affect how he goes at 6 in the Dogs side next year and nor should he. If he has forgotten how to organise as a half after less than 10 games as a centre, then you guys are in for a long year again in 22.

He will be fine, he was ordinary last night along with most of his team mates. He tried hard, and the effort was there which is what you want to see under the circumstances. The only Panther that played up to standard was Fisher Harris. May was shocking.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Burton doesn't have an "experienced" partner with him in the halves next year we're basically throwing him to the wolves and we'll be sorry. Averillo and Flanagan won't be able to step up enough. Someone like Johnson is what he needs to relieve a bit of pressure on a young half.
Burton played great when he had Jarome Luai partnered with him. With May he played shit. Pairing him with Johnson would be more like pairing him with Luai. Partnering him with Flanagan (or Averillo) will be like partnering him with May. All the pressure would be on him and he'll fail. Flanagan is no threat to the defensive line at all and Averillo doesn't have enough of a go himself. We need a second half who can threaten the line constantly or it will be simple for opposing teams to shut down our 1 playmaker in Burton and put pressure on him. Also if Burton ever gets injured we'd be totally f..ked.

I really believe Johnson is just as important if not more important than signing B.Smith

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Burton played great when he had Jarome Luai partnered with him. With May he played shit. Pairing him with Johnson would be more like pairing him with Luai. Partnering him with Flanagan (or Averillo) will be like partnering him with May. All the pressure would be on him and he'll fail. Flanagan is no threat to the defensive line at all Averillo doesn't have enough of a go himself. We need a second half who can threaten the line or it will be simple for opposing teams to shut down our 1 playmaker in Burton and put pressure on him
Flanagan and Averillo are completely different players. Averillo's better than May in the halves.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn’t watch the game how did he go?
He was pretty okay I thought. Problem was Penrith were just weaker than normal and brought back down to Earth when things didn't roll their way. Never stopped trying and got heavily involved in everything.

The no excuses comments etc was Burton taking the blame and responsibility, because he's obviously a high achiever who wants and expects to always win.

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Flanagan and Averillo are completely different players. Averillo's better than May in the halves.
Flanno and Averillo are both better than May. May has been fucked up by being versatile and missing his prime development chance from his sex tape adventure.

dog 4life

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lay off the crack. He is playing in the centres because that it what is best for the team this year. He is not going to backflip on his deal with you guys, and even if he did we couldnt afford to keep him with the other offers that would flood in. It's a safe bet that Ivan hasn't given a second thought as to how he plays Burton this year will affect how he goes at 6 in the Dogs side next year and nor should he. If he has forgotten how to organise as a half after less than 10 games as a centre, then you guys are in for a long year again in 22.

He will be fine, he was ordinary last night along with most of his team mates. He tried hard, and the effort was there which is what you want to see under the circumstances. The only Panther that played up to standard was Fisher Harris. May was shocking.
Hit a nerve did i you little bitch? Why don't the softcock panthers just admit it then? Just go on public and say we doing what's best for our club and we don't give a flying fuck about anyone else! But to say we doing what's best for him is a total lie.

Now why don't you do me a favour and go and get fucked before you piss me off

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hit a nerve did i you little bitch? Why don't the softcock panthers just admit it then? Just go on public and say we doing what's best for our club and we don't give a flying fuck about anyone else! But to say we doing what's best for him is a total lie.

Now why don't you do me a favour and go and get fucked before you piss me off

It was your major sponsor that started the whole "Wont someone think of the kids future" bullshit. Everything that came after was in response to that. Of course we are doing what's best for the club as was your club in trying to get him early. Anyone seriously trying to spin it any other way is deluded.

Did you actually read my post fully, or did your eyes glaze over when you saw a Panthers fan & the need to try and pretend to be a hard **** get the better of you?

dog 4life

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sorry mr civilised ass hole but Who started with are on on crack you spastic? Keyboard warrior calling other hard c#nts

Don't give a shit who you support just stating facts. Get fucked and have a nice day.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
It was your major sponsor that started the whole "Wont someone think of the kids future" bullshit. Everything that came after was in response to that. Of course we are doing what's best for the club as was your club in trying to get him early. Anyone seriously trying to spin it any other way is deluded.

Did you actually read my post fully, or did your eyes glaze over when you saw a Panthers fan & the need to try and pretend to be a hard **** get the better of you?
Lol fuck off knob jocky

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He is 20.
I know, but being dropped recently etc with a starting spot and chance at longer minutes I thought he would be pretty dominant against the Tigers pack

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Matt Burton should be ‘disappointed’ with performance in Leichhardt Oval loss, says Ivan Cleary

WRITTEN BY STEVE ORME
@SteveOSportal

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary bluntly declared utility Matt Burton should be ‘disappointed’ with his performance following Friday’s 26-6 loss to the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval.

Burton, who signed a three-year deal with the Canterbury Bulldogs in November, has been one of the best players in a previously unbeaten Panthers line-up since forcing his way into the starting team in Round 3.

With eight frontline players absent due to State of Origin duties, the 21-year-old was shifted from left centre to the halves alongside Tyrone May for the Round 13 clash

He scored the Panthers’ only try against the Tigers but was unable to have his usual influence on the contest in what was arguably the first sub-par performance of his 17-game career.

MORE: Where will Matt Dufty be playing in 2022?

Cleary didn’t hold back when asked of Burton’s performance but backed the talented utility to bounce back in the coming weeks.

logo

Logan Paul promises to upset Mayweather and 'break the f***ing simulation'

“Matt’s pretty disappointed,” Cleary said.

“He scored a great try but for the guy who kicks the ball the most he would be disappointed and he should be, but I don’t think Matt’s gone through anything but good games so far so he’ll be right.

“We’ve certainly got a lot of faith in Matt, he’s one that’s had to change positions into a completely different position so he’ll be better for the run tonight.”

Cleary added of his side’s maiden loss of the campaign: “The thing I was a little bit worried about coming into the game was going to be cohesion in attack and that’s pretty much how it runed out,” Cleary said.

“I thought we were really brave, I thought we defended well throughout the 80 minutes but our end of sets were not good which means we couldn’t build any pressure which I think played into their hands a fair bit, yeah.”

Asked if he has faith the Panthers can turn things around during what shapes as a treacherous Origin period, he replied: “Oh God yeah, I mean we had two training sessions and when you take eight of your best players out, pretty much your whole steering wheel and the gear box it’s going to be difficult.

“But we thought they’d do better and I would expect them to do better than that.

“It’ll help having that game under our belts for the games coming up where we’re going to be missing some people.”