Matt Burton consolidated thread

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tend to agree that a looking term contract needs to be put in place.
And instead of a dollar value, his contract worth should be a percentage of the cap.
I said it before and I'll say it again, Matty has the potential to be our best, most important & influential signing since Terry Lamb.

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I tend to agree that a looking term contract needs to be put in place.
And instead of a dollar value, his contract worth should be a percentage of the cap.
I said it before and I'll say it again, Matty has the potential to be our best, most important & influential signing since Terry Lamb.
Mate 100% this is important not just for the team but also for the club, and the attraction for all the up and coming juniors would be immense.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree. No point in offering him anything beyond what he’s currently signed for unless we know he’s willing to sign it - chances are right now he wouldn’t be.
100% correct .. bit of common sense will go a long way to a successful clean up.!!

the12thman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Barrett having success in the next 2 years will determine whether he signs on longer. If Barrett sinks he will jump ship.
It's scary if Barrett coaches like shit and we lose Burton.

I hope Baz can get the boys firing and attract more guns to our club.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It's scary if Barrett coaches like shit and we lose Burton.

I hope Baz can get the boys firing and attract more guns to our club.
If we think its depressing being a Dogs fan now?.....imagine the feeling of loosing Burton in 2 years time, if Baz doesn't get the team firing even with an improved roster!

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bear in mind he's playing centre at Penrith and just has to catch the ball and put it down over the line.. no creative plays or 5th tackle options etc over there. Cleary and Luai make it look easy and make him look like the next immortal. Wait and see how he goes in the halves with us and what his game management is like, what he produces on the 5th tackle, what his kicks are like, if he can put anybody in space or get a repeat set etc etc before asking for a 10 year deal. I think hes a good player but he hasn't been playing in the halves and we would be silly to sign him up long term virtually untried

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Bear in mind he's playing centre at Penrith and just has to catch the ball and put it down over the line.. no creative plays or 5th tackle options etc over there. Cleary and Luai make it look easy and make him look like the next immortal. Wait and see how he goes in the halves with us and what his game management is like, what he produces on the 5th tackle, what his kicks are like, if he can put anybody in space or get a repeat set etc etc before asking for a 10 year deal. I think hes a good player but he hasn't been playing in the halves and we would be silly to sign him up long term virtually untried
If there's 3 players you would put your house on to hold their form and reputations no matter who they are playing for its:

100% Jac
100% Burton
90% Cleary

We'll have 2 of them.
It's the rest of the team players efforts we need to go with them, thats the worry.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
not a 10 year contract but we should engage Burton's management to extend his deal in early to mid 2022... I would think an additional two years to his current deal for the 2024 and 2025 seasons at a significant upgrade

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some of you guys need to watch the round 3 Panthers vs Knights game from last year. Burton is a freakish talent, but unless you guys fix your pack up to at least a serviceable standard you are going to be very disappointed. It could take him a few years to become dominant as an NRL level half. Look at Cleary, he has always shown promise, but it's really only since he racked up 80 or so first grade games that he has reached god tier. Cleary also has the luxury of a pretty formidable team around him, something Matt wont have at Belmore next year. I'd hate to see his career fucked up by the weight of expectation. Hopefully he is given the time and tools to reach his capabilities.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
If there's 3 players you would put your house on to hold their form and reputations no matter who they are playing for its:

100% Jac
100% Burton
90% Cleary

We'll have 2 of them.
It's the rest of the team players efforts we need to go with them, thats the worry.
Find it odd you put 90% Cleary. Should be 250% Cleary