Trent Barrett - Mega thread

DaddyCool

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’m still waiting to see even a shred of evidence that this bloke has any clue how to coach.

All this talk about him being an attacking genius and we do nothing but hit the ball up 1 out for 5 tackles and poke a kick to the corner. We do this for 80 minutes straight, no matter the scoreline/state of the game - this is the plan. We only have a Plan A

We didn’t throw a single punch today. Didn’t even attempt to do something different.
If the cavalry don't save him next year, he's got nuthin'

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The question is:

Would we be any different if the club decided to give Steve Georgallis a one year deal last year?

I don’t think so.

We are worse this year than last year.

So what has been the net benefit with Barrett at the helm? I say zero benefit, we have regressed...

Such a balls up.

We need people invested in this club and who want to see the club improve and do well.

Barrett is an example of a person who is packaged up well, says all the right things, has friends in high places, but at the end of the day is in it for himself...This arrangement (Barrett as coach) was never going to work.
Why do you think Barrett is in it for himself?

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Mate it shows where the team is at. Don’t blame Baz, we don’t have the cattle.
No we don't but we are so off the pace in regards to line speed, fitness, confidence, etc compared to all the other 15 teams. And that's on Barrett and his staff.

halfcast

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
my jury is still out but things better change in 2022

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True but it's not hard to see why.

Let's just think of it as a building block for some respectability and a touch of confidence that they can realise they don't necessarily need to get beaten by the 60+ a lot said they would :(

A world of woe any way but...
Agreed. At the end of the day we all don't know what he's doing with the team because we're not there. All we are seeing is the end result.

We never really expected to beat one of the 2 best attacking teams in the comp. some even predicted scorelines of 70-80 to nil or similar. Like most of us he knows our defence needs work so that was probably the focus this week, test yourself and improve against the best attacking team.

Coaching can sometimes be a one step (or focal point) at a time thing, to get to where you need to be over a whole season. We are not shooting for the semis so the next best thing is improvement goals.

Also I wish people would stop comparing the scores of this year to the last couple of years. With the restarts and excessive sin binning there have been big margins all year even many 'top' sides are losing heavily.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What I am going to say goes against my belief of where we are at but, consider this. If we put the same performance in as we did today effort and defence wise, and add Burton/Naden/JAC into that 17 and maybe Okunbor on Meaneys wing, I reckon we go in the sheds at half time in front and not 10 nil down..

The biggest difference was our commitment to defence before half time. If you get the D right and then add Burton/JAC and another killer forward and the attack will happen on its own. It’s not Barrett sprinkling magic dust, it’s choking defence frustrating and tiring opposition before talented creative players like Burton and JAC do their thing.
Simples..

Disposable Hero

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has FAILED to adapt to the modern game.
Watch every game and you will see every team is copying each other in attack except us.
Every team is using and moving the ball mostly on tackle 4 even if they are on the half way.
Failure of a coach.
Fuck off back to manly ya northern beaches yuppy

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We will be fine next year if we sign a class hooner and front rower... Barrett is fine just gotta ride the year out

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering We are last, I thought We were pretty good against the number 1 side, best game we’ve played all year most other side’s we beat if we play like this

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why do you think Barrett is in it for himself?
Well, he just wants to be a head coach. I don’t knock him for that. Head coach salary vs assistant coach salary has got to be 200k difference at least?

I think my point is, he has very little connection to the club, save for being a supporter when he was a kid. It’s just an odd arrangement. His coaching cred is average, I just don’t know why he is here...

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Not if we dont change our style.
I have zero confidence in him.
Majority of the team have all gone backwards under him.
Yes and no, we can win a few games at the back of the season if we don't get suspensions and injuries are kind to us... If we played like we did today against Canberra and Titans we'd be on 6 points on the ladder. It's all about keeping that effort like we had in the first 40 and we will beat the shit sides around us

DogDays

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yes and no, we can win a few games at the back of the season if we don't get suspensions and injuries are kind to us... If we played like we did today against Canberra and Titans we'd be on 6 points on the ladder. It's all about keeping that effort like we had in the first 40 and we will beat the shit sides around us
I have this theory that teams lower their level against us.

We have been in the match early in quite a few games, but only because the opposition seems off their game, almost rusty or misfiring. This is usually followed by a runaway score...

Penrith were that today. They weren’t pumped for the game today, just going through the motions. Still put a lazy 30 on us.

I think we still find a way to lose to most teams today.

That said, I was impressed with the dogs first half. I think it’s proof that these guys CAN play...enough with the excuses, Barrett should be getting more out these guys - the first half today reinforces this.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Either way we are complete horse shite and it definitely isn't good enough. Either Tbaz has put his cue's in the rack for this year and decided he can't or won't teach these guy's something or he can't?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I have this theory that teams lower their level against us.

We have been in the match early in quite a few games, but only because the opposition seems off their game, almost rusty or misfiring. This is usually followed by a runaway score...

Penrith were that today. They weren’t pumped for the game today, just going through the motions. Still put a lazy 30 on us.

I think we still find a way to lose to most teams today.

That said, I was impressed with the dogs first half. I think it’s proof that these guys CAN play...enough with the excuses, Barrett should be getting more out these guys - the first half today reinforces this.
Everyone is saying Panthers were in 1st but I disagree. Look at some of JFH runs he was going hard as were others. South's played worse than we did. We are an effort side for sure, but it's sad and frustrating that there's always 2 to 4 players who let us down, today it was DWZ, Elliot, Doorey and Wakeham

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not if we dont change our style.
I have zero confidence in him.
Majority of the team have all gone backwards under him.
We won 3 games out of 20 last year. Name one player who has gone backwards ???

I expected Baz and the club to do better but to say our players have gone backwards under him is wrong.

Everyone bagged Penrith today for not being to their normal standard. But I actually think we had a decent game plan. Better than South’s game plan against them last week.