The real reason we are in this Position

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I agree, but both were post the Andersons, which was the point I was making.
I have faith the regime we have now will make it all right. We have to ensure one more year of pain. Imagine the incompetence of the 15 players we have off contract this year that even playing for a new contract they can’t play well. And people want to judge Barrett so soon. He knows where we are at, and knows what calibre of players we need to bring in alas Burton and JAC.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm sure we're all sick of talking about how and where it all went wrong and when it will get better.

All I know is thank fuck we signed Burton and Fox. Regardless of who is coach next season and beyond, a core of Burton, Addo-Carr, Cotric, Thompson, Topine and other youngsters coming through is enough reason for optimism.

But what is absolutely vital is that we nail recruitment for next season with the remaining cap space. If we sign more flops like Flanagan, Allan, Hetherington and Waddell, then the next coach will have more dead weight to clean out in another rebuild.

If we nail recruitment and sign genuine quality at hooker, prop and on an edge while signing some young guns from other clubs, then we can easily be a top 6 team next season as far fetched as that seems now. That's how big an impact Burton will have.

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm sure we're all sick of talking about how and where it all went wrong and when it will get better.

All I know is thank fuck we signed Burton and Fox. Regardless of who is coach next season and beyond, a core of Burton, Addo-Carr, Cotric, Thompson, Topine and other youngsters coming through is enough reason for optimism.

But what is absolutely vital is that we nail recruitment for next season with the remaining cap space. If we sign more flops like Flanagan, Allan, Hetherington and Waddell, then the next coach will have more dead weight to clean out in another rebuild.

If we nail recruitment and sign genuine quality at hooker, prop and on an edge while signing some young guns from other clubs, then we can easily be a top 6 team next season as far fetched as that seems now. That's how big an impact Burton will have.
Spot on 100%. Also don’t forget the importance in our junior system and giving these guys opportunities in the years to come.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If you have a look at the ladder and see who is in 15th and 16th position, notice the past 2 coaches of those clubs.... yep Des hasler still continues to haunt this club and he is the reason we are set so far back still because it all started with him.... even when he left manly the first time, it didn’t take them long enough to go to shit and still haven’t gotten out of it lol

fucking Des Hasler
Usually disagree with that you say but I think you'ver really hit the nail on the head here. Well done

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

Have to agree with this. Not looking good atm but ... with the right decisions we could easily be much higher on the ladder. We just don't have the cattle atm, and when you add new injuries & suspensions to an already weak roster?

We'll get out of this hole. Recruitment for next year is so so vital now though. Going to be harder considering our start but ...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Have to agree with this. Not looking good atm but ... with the right decisions we could easily be much higher on the ladder. We just don't have the cattle atm, and when you add new injuries & suspensions to an already weak roster?

We'll get out of this hole. Recruitment for next year is so so vital now though. Going to be harder considering our start but ...
I just hope there are no Napa-esque panic buys or crazily overpaying for a player out of desperation.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Look the real reason dogs in this situation , the front office cared about their egos and power .
board power struggles
ceos that had other agendas other than them team , Greenberg and castle
dib hiring pay as coach as a gimmick to get re-elected to show members that there going back to bulldog roots

the board , ceo and football department not looking after junior stocks . I don’t care what power a nrl coach has , he is not in charge of the production line of juniors and source of production line (yes they may have say on odd player)
100000% right mate. I cannot agree with you more.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I just hope there are no Napa-esque panic buys or crazily overpaying for a player out of desperation.
This is my concern. Though, I think we bought well this year. Of course, things aren't looking great but the players we have do have promise, we just need to get the right players around them. At the same time, we haven't seemed to have rushed into making panic buys such as Benjii? So I guess there's promising signs there when it comes to rectruitment. Especially if you look at the two players we've already got signed up for 2022!

By all account Hetho played well today, so hopefully the others new signings start stepping up soon too!

Personally I'd look to hit up the UK ... not that I know much about the players over there. It seems as though there aren't a lot of quality props going around which is my biggest concern!

ash160

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
...because we’ve got the slowest backline in history. We need some speed. it’s all to easy for opposition defenders

there’s not a long range try in us...to slow

Last edited:

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hasler is a short term success merchant. He can coach , but really has no idea about recruitment or retention and also neglects the junior system. End product is that his club goes great for 2 -3 years and then things go south.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
And our props were 2nd to nobody. The best in the game
Imagine having O'Meley, Asotasi and Mason to go along with the class of Burton and pace of Addo-Carr? If we had forwards of that calibre, we'd go close to winning a comp in a year or two with how dominant Burton will be..

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Is because we are shit.

FFS, Hasler left at the end of 2017.
Yep & we were on 1/3 of a cap for 3 years after. This is the 1st year on full cap & because we have been crap we find it hard to get good players & when we do pay overs.