News Why it might take a decade for the Bulldogs to turn things around

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Source: SMH - Andrew Webster
Date: 02Apr21

The Bulldogs handed the keys to Willie Mason in 2000.

Not the keys to the Ferrari, or the Subaru WRX Impreza STI Version 5 for that matter, but Jason Hetherington’s smelly old locker at Belmore Sportsground.

“This is yours now,” Hetherington told him. “You better f---ing look after it.”

Mason was a raw but clearly talented 20-year-old, just making his way into the first-grade squad.

Hetherington was one of those typically flint-hard Bulldogs players, but his time was up with a final payday waiting for him in England.

That’s how Canterbury rolled then. That’s how they’d always rolled. It was a privilege to just have a locker let alone play first grade for the Bulldogs, who were still the toughest, angriest sods this side of Terry Lamb’s forearm.

“It was a big deal to get a locker,” Mason recalled.

Those were the standards they set at Belmore, the war-room in which generations of players were imbued with a certain way of doing business whether the team was running first or last.

They never wanted to let down the greats of the past, whose presence was always felt.

Canterbury-Bankstown Rugby League Football Club is now a shadow of its former self and the game is worse for it.

Their winless start to the season, including a 28-0 loss to Penrith and 24-0 defeat against the hapless Broncos, is a frightening reminder that once you dig yourself a deep hole in this game, it can take a long time to climb out.

Some reckon it will take a decade. Do the ever-bickering factions at the Bulldogs have that much patience? Is rather talkative major sponsor Arthur Laundy in it for the long haul? And will they all stand back and allow new coach Trent Barrett to unravel the mess?

We won’t trawl over all the sins of the past but the decision to import players, not breed them, has been a grave error of judgement. Very un-Bulldogs.

The salary cap has been out of whack for years with silly money thrown at the likes of Aaron Woods (who played half a season after signing for four) and Kieran Foran (who played 40 matches in three seasons, many of them injured).

More recently, Dallin Watene-Zelezniak was signed from Penrith on fullback money – even if he’s best suited to the wing. Canberra couldn’t compete with the Bulldogs on Nick Cotric who has been signed on centre money – even if he’s also best suited to the wing.

England prop Luke Thompson arrived last year with a big reputation and on even bigger money – reportedly $800,000 a season – but is yet to show he was worth the spend. He returns from a four-match ban for an eye gouge next week.

Then there’s the handful of players in their top 30 who in days gone by wouldn’t have got a look at those lockers let alone hang their clothes in them.

With 15 players coming off contract at the end of this year, the club will be one of the most active in the player market.

But how many quality players will they attract, at what price, if the they continue to lose in the manner in which they have?

It’s not all bad, though.

Next year, Matt Burton arrives from Penrith. He kicks the ball so far you think he’s played at altitude. Josh Addo-Carr is also coming. He runs so fast he makes the others look like they’re in slow motion.

But what the Bulldogs really need is a hooker, which under the new rules has become the game’s most important position.

They went hard at Brandon Smith but he’s expected to stay at the Storm. The club is reportedly sniffing around Warrington’s Daryl Clark, a former Man of Steel in the Super League who the Dogs hope can be their Josh Hodgson.

These changes might be a sugar hit for both fans and the under-pressure board, whoever’s on it by 2023 after next year’s elections, but it won’t guarantee long-term success.

The man charged with turning it around is Barrett, who is quickly finding out how much work is ahead of him.

It won’t get much easier against Souths in the traditional Good Friday match at ANZ Stadium, then the Storm the following week.

“When I leave the joint – whether that be in three years, five years or 10 years – I want to leave it in a better place than when I got here,” Barrett told the Herald in a recent interview.

It might take that long.

They count success at Belmore in premierships. It’s in the woodwork. It’s in the lockers. But Canterbury appear to be years away from becoming their former selves.

oldman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The whole sorry saga sits squarely at the feet of three individuals.... Dib, Castle and Hasler.

You can roll it in glitter as much as you like, but what they did to my club was culpable. Their names should be removed from the history books of this once proud club.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck me dead, im so fucking sick of the constant media beat up!!! Manly has much the same squad as last year, bar AFB, and with the addition of Foran, yet they escape all media scrutiny after 2 46 point floggings. No team likes to be kept to zero, but 28 and 24 points against is better then 46 surely??
But theres no media beat up about manly woes, and haslers coaching. How about those cowboys? Its just constant rehashed shit about us.
Barrett will have us functioning well as a team by the end of the year. I have no doubts. And as our form improves, our roster will also. And come next year, his coaching methods will have well and truly sunk in, and we will be on the up and up.
In the meantime, give us a fucking break you fucking media scum!!!

Last edited:

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
we are missing 1 world class prop, an above avg 2nd rower and a hooker. The rest will rub off if we get those 3 players.

Yes we look bad but thats because our forwards arent metre eaters. We didnt replace guys like klemmer and tolman (yes him too). Both on an off day will still make you 120 mtrs a game MINIMUM.

Our props currently are avging 60 mtrs each. That isnt good enough.

So yes it looks really really bad. Thompson i think will avg over 100 a game. I think we will see the real pom this season. Just need another one.

If anything, i would sniff marty kapow to finish his career back where it started and then throw the coin at angus chricton and daryl clark.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Then there’s the handful of players in their top 30 who in days gone by wouldn’t have got a look at those lockers let alone hang their clothes in them."

Change the word handful to majority and you're spot on Webster

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
The whole sorry saga sits squarely at the feet of three individuals.... Dib, Castle and Hasler.

You can roll it in glitter as much as you like, but what they did to my club was culpable. Their names should be removed from the history books of this once proud club.
Well said. The damage done by these 3 is almost unrestorable. Lets give BAZ some time. We need forwards and a hooker, this year or next year.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guck me dead, im so fucking sick of the constant media beat up!!! Manly has much the same squad as last year, bar AFB, and with the addition of Foran, yet they escape all media scrutiny after 2 46 point floggings. No tea. Likes to be kept to zero, but 28 and 24 points against is better then 46 surely??
But theres no media beat up about manly woes, and haslers coaching. How about those cowboys? Its just constant rehashed shit about us.
Barrett will have us functioning well as a team by the end of the year. I have no doubts. And as our form improves, our roster will also. And come next year, his coaching methods will have well and truly sunk in, and we will be on the up and up.
The Bulldogs generate more media then all the Sydney clubs combined....

How does this make a story?

We will get our #9 and some boppers, there won’t be sympathy for us when we’ve turned a corner.

Last edited:

Bulldog wazza

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I must agree on the points made and feel that us kennel supporters need to be patient and let the process of teaching these younger pups how to be successful and support the coach and his staff who have inherited the salary cap decisions of the past. Things will become more evident in the following 5 years of our strategy and no doubt other clubs are aware that a strong Canterbury will rise again. It cannot fail if we stick together and allow time and experience infiltrate the minds of our young spine in progress. The Forwards is lacking some experience and direction and I would love to see the old hard heads come in and support the Topines of our club..
We will rise again but not this year guys.. Blue and White Dogs for Life

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
"Then there’s the handful of players in their top 30 who in days gone by wouldn’t have got a look at those lockers let alone hang their clothes in them."

Change the word handful to majority and you're spot on Webster
A front row and we are back in the 8, flogging a dead horse Webby you flop.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuckwits like Webster will write shit about us if we dominating or like we are now, struggling.

Im happy for them to write any shit they want about us as long as we are dominating.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Guck me dead, im so fucking sick of the constant media beat up!!! Manly has much the same squad as last year, bar AFB, and with the addition of Foran, yet they escape all media scrutiny after 2 46 point floggings. No tea. Likes to be kept to zero, but 28 and 24 points against is better then 46 surely??
Spot on bro, these media wankers just have the obvious agenda in sinking the boot into us. Fuck em, without the Dogs the NRL would be boring [emoji23]

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Spot on bro, these media wankers just have the obvious agenda in sinking the boot into us. Fuck em, without the Dogs the NRL would be boring [emoji23]
I just can't fathom the hatred. No other team cops it like we do. The sad thing is we no longer have the seige mentality that we used to under coaches like Folkes and Anderson, where everything was kept in house, and the more the world threw at us, the harder we were to beat!

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs generate more media then all the Sydney clubs combined....

How does this make a story?

We will get our #9 and and some boppers, there won’t be sympathy for us when we’ve turned a corner.
The headline suggests the writer actually had reasons why it would take 10 years to rebuild, yet he actually give any reason as to why it would. He just rehashed the same old shit, whilst ignoring Manly's 2 heavy defeats.
I have by bo means given up on this season. It seems pretty obvious we are not finals contenders, but we will improve as the year goes on, and our structures become more ingrained in our players.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If we sign Clarke and recruit some good forwards like Vaughan, Capewell/Matterson, Peachey, Guler, Finucane on a cheap deal etc, all of which is doable, then we'll easily be a top 8 team next season with Burton and Fox also.

The beat up from the media is relentless and hilarious and will just make it more satisfying when we are successful again in a year or two.

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just can't fathom the hatred. No other team cops it like we do. The sad thing is we no longer have the seige mentality that we used to under coaches like Folkestone and Anderson, where everything was kept in house, and the more the world threw at us, the harder we were to beat!
I don't think it's hatred. It's just business. Bulldogs stories are popular because we're one of the biggest clubs in the NRL...even when we're down.

Look how Bad Manly are going yet there are 10 times as many articles about us than there are about Manly. Hell even though the Panthers are flying there are still more articles about us than Penrith. The media love to hate us because people like to read about the Bulldogs.

Dog Till I Die

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When half your article is filled with the same sorry metaphors that blight every other sports article you know their writers are just pinning tails on donkeys or flipping a dud coin to come up with eyeball candy. Fuck them. Did Webster ever play League, let alone asset foot in the Dog’s dressing room. Ignore!

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Boys dont take me the wrong way but do you think media attacks the dogs because we are in a multicultural area and the media take our areas as low economic, low success, crime riddled etc that the media dont give us a fair go?

I think it was blair from the daily telegraph who did a bad article about the people and communities living in lakemba etc

Reactions: obe

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Boys dont take me the wrong way but do you think media attacks the dogs because we are in a multicultural area and the media take our areas as low economic, low success, crime riddled etc that the media dont give us a fair go?

I think it was blair from the daily telegraph who did a bad article about the people and communities living in lakemba etc
Other fans and the media have hated our multicultural diverse fanbase for years and in particular singled out the Lebanese fans.. But this is more to do with us being one of the biggest brands that gets clicks through how big our fanbase is and how much other fans hate us. So they generate as much Bulldogs content as possible whether it's accurate or not just to get clicks because we move the needle.

So when we're successful again, that will finally work for us and should bring more sponsorship and support etc. But right now, it's used against us to try and divide the club and keep us at the bottom.