Opinion Our roster

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking having a look at the players off contract this year as it’ stands we have 18
Let’s imagine you have a chair at the table with baz about who we keep and piss off I believe a lot of players have 4-6 weeks to prove there worth keeping. But in saying that we have to do the best we can with what they have
Of this list who you keeping ?
Renouf Atoni, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Tyrone Harding, Will Hopoate, Paul Karaitiana, Sione Katoa, Tui Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Patolo, Kurt Picken, James Roumanos, Chris Smith

Personally okonbur, tui katoa chris smith are the only ones worth keeping I think I also know we don’t have the luxury of promoting juniors from nsw cup like we could years ago

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well we are going to sign a few of them. We can’t possibly let that many go as there’s prob not much better out there! Especially for depth but hoppa and Napa would be the top 2 on that list for me atm

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
At this stage: Atoni (bench), JMK (bench/depth), Meaney (depth), Ogden (depth), Okunbor (depth), Smith (depth). Anyone with depth I wouldn't really care if they were moved on either (maybe bar Okunbor but he's not going to play much next year with JAC and DWZ). Maybe we can sign or promote better depth options. I had Hopoate in the keep category before a ball was kicked but it's looking like a Tolman 2.0 situation.

We need to sign a hooker, prop, second rower and centre probably in that order. I still think it's doable with what's available but not a lot of options either so we have to be perfect in the transfer market.

Last edited:

top-dog

bulldog 4 life
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
At this stage: Atoni (bench), JMK (bench/depth), Meaney (depth), Ogden (depth), Okunbor (depth), Smith (depth). Anyone with depth I wouldn't really care if they were moved on either (maybe bar Okunbor but he's not going to play much next year with JAC and DWZ). Maybe we can sign or promote better depth options. I had Hopoate in the keep category before a ball was kicked but it's looking like a Tolman 2.0 situation.

We need to sign a hooker, prop, second rower and centre probably in that order. I still think it's doable with what's available but not a lot of options either so we have to be perfect in the transfer market.
Mate they all need to go they have been stale for years now bring in some fresh new and young faces and build them up we need to rebuild and be a proper team within 5 years

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We Desperately need a quality prop to partner Thompson. Hetherington and Ogden would be good impact players. Atoni and Napa shouldn't be anywhere near first grade

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't bother me if everyone off contract wasn't retained.

There's a couple like Atoni and Okonbur that I'd be ok with if they kept them but that's only if they perform this year. The rest are deadwood that needs cleaning out ASAP.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Mate they all need to go they have been stale for years now bring in some fresh new and young faces and build them up we need to rebuild and be a proper team within 5 years
Yeah, I think I basically said that, but we need to have the promising young players coming through to do that (which I said is a possibility if we do). If we go to other clubs and buy their best young players they aren't going to be cheap whereas all the depth options I mentioned would be on close to minimum wage. Most of these players won't be featuring in the top 17 anyways. E.g. are we going to be able to promote or sign a fullback that's better than Meaney? Until we do nothing wrong with keeping him for another 1 year as a back-up, maybe that's Averillo's role next year. Same thing with JMK. We've had the last 3 years to really focus on development and I'm not to sure we've succeed there overall.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It wouldn't bother me if everyone off contract wasn't retained.

There's a couple like Atoni and Okonbur that I'd be ok with if they kept them but that's only if they perform this year. The rest are deadwood that needs cleaning out ASAP.
Okenbur is a must. He won’t be on a lot of coin and when fully fit is a big fast body out wide.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Okenbur is a must. He won’t be on a lot of coin and when fully fit is a big fast body out wide.
I like Jayden but I don't think he is a must keep player. It will be interesting to see how he comes back from the ACL.

I think I'm just over waiting for these type of players to deliver on their potential in NRL.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I like Jayden but I don't think he is a must keep player. It will be interesting to see how he comes back from the ACL.

I think I'm just over waiting for these type of players to deliver on their potential in NRL.
i think it will come to price, im sure they will all be offered budget contracts, so they can stay on that or leave.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We already have 16 players on contract for next year and I think Topine and Alomoti will be promoted to the top 30 plus hopefully Piakura signs and we already have 19 there. The squad actually starts to fill out very quickly if you re-sign too many of off contract players just for depth purposes.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

The importance of the Top 30 has really hit home for us.

We need to start thinking of it as crucial and every player's got to be on the rise, or either worth their weight in gold ..not lead.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking having a look at the players off contract this year as it’ stands we have 18
Let’s imagine you have a chair at the table with baz about who we keep and piss off I believe a lot of players have 4-6 weeks to prove there worth keeping. But in saying that we have to do the best we can with what they have
Of this list who you keeping ?
Renouf Atoni, Dean Britt, Christian Crichton, Tyrone Harding, Will Hopoate, Paul Karaitiana, Sione Katoa, Tui Katoa, Lachlan Lewis, Jeremy Marshall-King, Nick Meaney, Dylan Napa, Ofahiki Ogden, Jayden Okunbor, Chris Patolo, Kurt Picken, James Roumanos, Chris Smith

Personally okonbur, tui katoa chris smith are the only ones worth keeping I think I also know we don’t have the luxury of promoting juniors from nsw cup like we could years ago
I think in the past the club has rushed recruitment and we are still paying the price for that. These days lots of moves get done after the season is finished. We got Flanagan, Hetherington and Allan when they were still on contract.

Am pretty sure Baz will be patient. He will give those blokes off contract about half the year to prove their worth. If they cant do that then they are gone.

I guess my point is that we wont know the make up of our roster for 2022 until probably November or December this year. I cant see many blokes being re-signed at the moment. The telling factor for me is that all of those blokes off-contract are on the market and can be signed by a club tomorrow. But I dont see any offers being made.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The importance of the Top 30 has really hit home for us.

We need to start thinking of it as crucial and every player's got to be on the rise, or either worth their weight in gold ..not lead.
With the way the system is now you can't really afford to waste many spots on potential project players or players that aren't going to come in and do the job. Fingers crossed there aren't anymore junior players with contracts like Harding or Ramounos that are guaranteed top 30.

I'm not really that worried about the roster as Tbaz has shown he can attract the right player and building a roster is one of his strengths.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Keep - JMK, Meaney, Okunbor, Atoni, C.Smith

Remainder - out (also release Hetherington and Waddell)

Sign (whats off contract this year) - Jordan Riki, Xavier Coates, Brendan Piakura, Siliva Havili, Dale Finucane, Bunty Afoa, Isaac Liu

Allan
JAC
Xavier Coates
DWZ
Cotric
Burton
Flanagan
Thompson
JMK
RFM
Elliott
Jackson
Finucane

Liu
Afoa
Riki
Havili

mr j

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I wouldn’t keep any of them. At the start of the year I would have said yes to Ogden and Atoni but after two rounds they haven’t impressed