Round 1 Bulldogs V Knights - Team Lists and Discussion Thread

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Thought all the new signings played well especially flano the rest turned out their usual games except for crapa who was fucking worse than last year and as we all know we desperately need a decent nine. That said Tbaz was a fucking standout in his presser and gave me confidence that we will get it right. Anyone thinking we where a chance of being in the eight this year is fucking delusional but at least the we are taking the right steps forward. Last nights game was an improvement on the way we played last year for mine and I am looking forward to watching Trent continue to develop our side

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Missed the tackle on Bradman Best one on one that lead to a try. I’m not shitting on Hoppa but he will
Need to offer a bit more to be resigned.
Again Newcastle were running at speed and had an overlap.
Forwards bunching in the centre of the field lead to many tries like this last season.
Hoppa is a very good player but his lateral movement at centre is probably the weakest part of his game.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Again Newcastle were running at speed and had an overlap.
Forwards bunching in the centre of the field lead to many tries like this last season.
Hoppa is a very good player but his lateral movement at centre is probably the weakest part of his game.
Mate I thought both edges let us down defensively. But I’m probably not saying anything that hasn’t already been said.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
We are going to have a few blow outs and frustrating losses and probably 6? wins is as good as it's gonna get this year.

We kinda knew that in our heads but our hearts said Top 8.

We'll just have to be content to see slow progress and steady roster improvement.

We were so abysmal last year, with excuses from management and coach, flying thick and fast.

Yet a positive this year is that we can feel confident the flaws in the playing roster are being faced up to and now we have the sc to fix a lot of the shortfalls.

We will still see a lot of good footy from the team so take that out of it.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Ive literally said it all off season, JMK, Katoa, Deitz not the answer, til we sign an actual quality 9, we are never going anywhere!
Katoa and JMK we’ve seen a fair bit of and agree not the answer. Deitz has only had half an NRL game. Let’s see how he turns out after a few rounds.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Give the fellas a few rounds. There were some poor efforts 1 on 1 and dropped balls that led directly to tries. Very untidy in defence by the same plodders like Papa and floppa. Anyway, I know Baz will have us playing to our potential soon, whatever that may be.

We are short 2-3 forwards. Apart from Elliot - rest of pack was limp. Need big strong forwards. Islander kind 120kg+ XXL metre eater, bench press champion preferable.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nick Cotric got charged by the Match Review. No suspension just a fine.
Rd01 Match Review Charges.jpg

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Everyone blew their loads over Barrett. One game in we can already see he isn't a 1st grade coach. If we are losing like that to a Knights team without their best player, we are in for a very long season yet again.

Edge defence has taken a massive step backwards
A bit early to call time on baz bro.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Cotric has 7 TBS which is good as we need him breaking tackles
Flanagan had 3 try assists and 3 linebreak assists and thankgod 2 of his cut out passes found its mark for tries unlike lewis can do it
Whether we like it or not front rowers performance is measured on stats and that’s what beast is looking at. But agree sometimes stats don’t tell the whole story. We used to have a front rower who was a stats hog. Hogged the ball on the 4 th so he can prop up his stats. Thankfully he’s no longer with the club.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He's a good athlete but he isn't physically dominant enough be be a starting prop. Workrate is poor...Ogden made double the runs with 10 less minutes, Renouf made 3 tackles less in less than half the minutes...his workrate just isn't there and hasn't ever been.

I don't rate him and wouldn't have signed him, needed a more dominant body to partner Thompson in the frontrow and that has always been my preference.
Is he better suited as an edge back rower perhaps?

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I would take tonights loss over any of the losses the last few years... Absolutely amazing to have an out and out half back again and the kicking game was the best I've seen since Sherwin and Anasta. Our shape in attack looks like we can be dangerous(finally). the knights played well and the tries we let in were soft and we were on the wrong side of the ref... for the first time in a long time im optimistic as I can see a lot of improvement that can quite easily come.. for example Hoppa was our most consistent player for the last few years and today he played his normal game but was one of our worst... we can only get better.. Chins up boys, we've got this .. D4L
Great positive post Henry. Most here on the TK have focused on the negatives so it’s good to get a positive upbeat post for a change. Gives me hope for next week. I’ll put the razor blades back in the draw now.