News Matt Burton wants out

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Money and politics the ruination of sport
Yep. Player agents are the worst. Whatever rules the nrl makes they'll do anything to manipulate things for their % regardless if it hurts a team or the sport.

Gawd_Dawg_BB

Banned
Reaction score
Yep. Player agents are the worst. Whatever rules the nrl makes they'll do anything to manipulate things for their % regardless if it hurts a team or the sport.
Plus players are demanding to much to they get paid good money give a bricklayer an opportunity I bet he plays his guts out

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If there was such a thing as to going to fair work for an NRL contract surely he wouldn't have a leg to stand on as he agreed to terms and would be bound by the contract he signed with Penrith.
Probably I’ve got no idea how it works:tearsofjoy:

I just don’t think you can keep someone from earning their value either and at the moment he’s got a club who is paying 125k or so and another club who wants to pay him 450k right away. He should be allowed to go an earn his value. If the contracts were similar then he should stay at Penrith but they are not even close.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I'm not welcome I'll happily leave. Don't want to upset anyone. That comment was informative. I corrected information Hooper either omitted or got wrong.
Mate, don't worry about it, they are just being sooks. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not everyone has to agree with that, it's a part of line.
We don't need to get personal and attack people if they don't agree with our point of view.
I'm no mod here but I got no issues with you hanging around.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Probably I’ve got no idea how it works:tearsofjoy:

I just don’t think you can keep someone from earning their value either and at the moment he’s got a club who is paying 125k or so and another club who wants to pay him 450k right away. He should be allowed to go an earn his value. If the contracts were similar then he should stay at Penrith but they are not even close.
I got know idea how this stuff works mate.
I want him here now but I also want contacts to be honored. Its a double edged sword.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mate, don't worry about it, they are just being sooks. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and not everyone has to agree with that, it's a part of line.
We don't need to get personal and attack people if they don't agree with our point of view.
I'm no mod here but I got no issues with you hanging around.
Spot on! @Oldpanther is about the best type of poster from a rival club you can get. I enjoy getting a different perspective from him especially when he’s been nothing but respectful in the way he engages in conversation.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When referring to Burton in December, and quoted in the SMH, Cleary made the comments below. So let it be known that he's actually doing it all for Burto, (and we all should have been aware of that). It's just a shame Pascoe didn't use the same line about Ivan.

‘‘And we also think it’s best for him personally to stay in our system for another year so he can further develop – it’s our opinion that it’s best for him in the long run he stays with us another 12 months. We know people are agitating for it [an early release] to happen, but everyone has been well aware of our position for a long time.’’

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
When referring to Burton in December, and quoted in the SMH, Cleary made the comments below. So let it be known that he's actually doing it all for Burto, (and we all should have been aware of that). It's just a shame Pascoe didn't use the same line about Ivan.

‘‘And we also think it’s best for him personally to stay in our system for another year so he can further develop – it’s our opinion that it’s best for him in the long run he stays with us another 12 months. We know people are agitating for it [an early release] to happen, but everyone has been well aware of our position for a long time.’’
Depends what the plan is I guess. To do that and say he's first in line for half back depth he must be working very closely with Nathan. Hope that doesn't worry you guys for 2022 I know Cleary gets a bit of heat from other team's fans.

Of course this is me speculating based on putting all the quotes together.

Reactions: ATT

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
My opinion on this is that no one should begrudge Penrith for making a player fulfill his contract. My opinion on Ivan Cleary is not great either though, he has shown some hypocrisy in his actions and sometimes is somewhat patronizing. If he came out and said the truth, I would have much more respect..

Also I wonder how he would feel if Nathan's career had been handled this way.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My opinion on this is that no one should begrudge Penrith for making a player fulfill his contract. My opinion on Ivan Cleary is not great either though, he has shown some hypocrisy in his actions and sometimes is somewhat patronizing. If he came out and said the truth, I would have much more respect..

Also I wonder how he would feel if Nathan's career had been handled this way.
Funny thing is it's been said by Nathan, Gus and Ivan that he was going to make Nathan wait longer to debut and some of us (read me) suspect it played a part in getting sacked the first time. He was heavily criticized during his first run at Panthers for being conservative and only giving guys a shot in first grade when given no other choice due to injuries.

Reactions: ATT

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He isn't being spiteful, he's just chatting absolute shit because he's a dickhead and won't admit that Burton is just there as backup for the starting halves.

Like I said previously our fans just need to get over it and stop acting so entitled, we knew he had a year to run but signed him this far out anyway. I know if I was a Panthers fan and Cleary or Luai went down then i'd 100% prefer Burton coming in over May or Salmon.
They released Laurie who is a back up fullback... Cleary is being a **** cause baz got one over him