News Matt Burton wants out

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just my opinion but the only reason Gus chased him was to ensure Nathan didn't leave. Have always been underwhelmed with cleary as a coach.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can understand you defending your coach but you’ve been told the truth about what happened at the tigers two or three times now but you are ignoring it.
Hayes is on the mark and doesn’t talk shit. My info is also 100% accurate, I’ve seen the messages etc. My family have had links to the magpies and now tigers via players & staff since the 60’s

Ivan carried on about players being on or off the bus then ditched his team when Gus came sucking back after already sacking him once (at least he’s grown some pride now).

Of course the tigers weren’t going to let him go for free so paying money out of his own pocket (or via the panthers) is pretty standard for a coach ditching his team early and nothing to praise him over.
It's not about praising him. It's about the hypocrisy claim because Panthers won't release Burton for nothing. Ivan didn't leave for nothing.

Panthers 17 straight wins or whatever it was to make grand final, then cull players that were a massive part of the wins. Makes sense, most clubs would try to improve squad after that winning run, not Ivan he just fucks them all off.

Ivan is holding Burton out of spite he let the captain and others go, if he had the kids interest at heart he’d be at dogs. It’s a short career Burton loses money and experience.

IMO (just my opinion which doesn’t mean much [emoji23]) i could be wrong but I don’t think panthers are going to go anywhere near aswell as people think this year.
This is just emotion talking. Staines over Mansour IS improving the roster and after such a good year the young blokes would always be in demand driving up prices and making the cap harder to balance. We aren't the Roosters with their sombrero.

He let others go who we either didn't need(Mansour, whare), came to terms on(Laurie, Hetherington, Burton?) Or simply couldn't afford(Tamou).

It's not spite. Do a deal. You won't get the most favourable terms because you want a contract broken a year early but Panthers are willing to listen.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Just my opinion but the only reason Gus chased him was to ensure Nathan didn't leave. Have always been underwhelmed with cleary as a coach.
That was The Panthers Chairman. Gus actually wanted Bennett and in fact had a verbal agreement with him.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It was a specific board member. Gus wanted Bennett and left when Ivan came to the club.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not about praising him. It's about the hypocrisy claim because Panthers won't release Burton for nothing. Ivan didn't leave for nothing.

This is just emotion talking. Staines over Mansour IS improving the roster and after such a good year the young blokes would always be in demand driving up prices and making the cap harder to balance. We aren't the Roosters with their sombrero.

He let others go who we either didn't need(Mansour, whare), came to terms on(Laurie, Hetherington, Burton?) Or simply couldn't afford(Tamou).

It's not spite. Do a deal. You won't get the most favourable terms because you want a contract broken a year early but Panthers are willing to listen.
Barrett was told not to poach players and he kind of did which was gonna happen from us or other clubs. Maybe not spite, Ivan’s not gonna come out and say it is he?

At the end of the day it’s the nrl causing all this drama by having contracts made 1 year before they can happen, it’s a dumb way.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

We are willing to pay too but you want an unfair swap...

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Barrett was told not to poach players and he kind of did which was gonna happen from us or other clubs. Maybe not spite, Ivan’s not gonna come out and say it is he?

At the end of the day it’s the nrl causing all this drama by having contracts made 1 year before they can happen, it’s a dumb way.
Yes it's the NRL’s fault 100%. Barrett hasn't taken anyone from our top 17 so I suspect there's less ill feeling than people think.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Of course we want to get the better end of the deal. It's our player you want released 12 months earlier. I'd expect no less if it was reversed. Dogs fans had plenty of animosity for a board that let players go with no return benefit in seasons past.
True but we also did the right thing not keeping an unhappy player. Clubs very rarely do.
We do want Burton but swapping a 650k player for a 150k in a game with a salary cap would’ve been madness

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
True but we also did the right thing not keeping an unhappy player. Clubs very rarely do.
We do want Burton but swapping a 650k player for a 150k in a game with a salary cap would’ve been madness
We have many times as well. Of course that trade is insane.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My response to all this, offer crighton 800k, considering the best centre in the game Comands 850k or at least the roosters bench marked it at that figure for lattrell.
Then see how we go Mr cleary...how does that look like for you?
I'm ok with that in principle, as long as we don't end up signing him at $850k, much prefer them to have to pay him that amount. We then get
a good centre at 1/2 to 2/3 of that amount once Hoppas contract is done, preferable from our juniors which pushes out our need to pay that amount out into the future, allowing us to concentrate on 9, prop & others....

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The pay out wasn't PR though which is what makes it not hypocrisy. If a deal can be reached and Burton goes early that's the exact same outcome as all the examples Laundy used.

Ivan: paid $200k
Mansour: had new deal before being released from current contract. Would've been at Panthers in 2021 without a deal.

Tetevano: left to super League on his own. Actually caught Panthers off guard.

Whare: not first grade standard for years but stayed on his contract helping out with defence until a deal came along.

Tamou: wanted 2 years we could only afford 1 so he accepted the Tigers bigger offer.

Hetherington: released to dogs with Panthers paying part of his contract.
Mansour was pushed you know that dont play that down

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The myth that Ivan is angry needs to die. We released Hetherington mid contract and are paying some of his $400k for you.
Were you seriously paying him 400k?? Wow. No wonder you needed to shed players.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This blokes made Gary Johnstone look like a mouse
Heard more from him then we did from Hill when Lynne anderson was in charge