News Matt Burton wants out

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's simple he's the best back up we have. Easily demonstrated by how much you guys want him. If we need a half replacement and go into finals you can bet we'd want to be able to call on Burton before the others. That's huge considering we are in a premiership window.
Isn’t he third in line for 5/8?

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If the shoe was on the other foot no one here would give a shit about Burton's development or being labelled a hypocrite.

I'm not sure why it's a surprise to anyone that Cleary and Penrith and doing what's best for them.
Not a surprise, just agitating for the release.

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
It's simple he's the best back up we have. Easily demonstrated by how much you guys want him. If we need a half replacement and go into finals you can bet we'd want to be able to call on Burton before the others. That's huge considering we are in a premiership window.
100%. The way I see it if you guys do end up needing him and he plays in the finals that could only be good for us AND Burton. He’ll bring that experience over with him.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
100%. The way I see it if you guys do end up needing him and he plays in the finals that could only be good for us AND Burton. He’ll bring that experience over with him.
Imagine him coming over a GF winner or at least getting some big game experience. That's still a win for the dogs.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
A player is better playing 25 first grade games than only 1 or 2, finals or not. Clubs generally don’t keep players that don’t want to be there

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Penriff being very selfish.
If they value the kid as a person, It should be about his future and what’s best for him.
If they value him as a player, he should be in the 17 not just the 30 on a whim they might need him at some stage behind others.
Will his heart be in it now that he’s also agitating for a release.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He'd get 6 or bench with a half injured. Either way he would be playing this year at origin and anything Cleary/Luai are out guarenteed.
How many games are panthers players out for origin this year?

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like Salmon is a better option than Burton lol. If Cleary/Luai go down then Burton slots straight in...and if Burton is as good as some on here think then they should understand how ridiculous it would be to just happily hand over someone with his ability.
I agree that Burton is way better than Salmon but lets say he sits in reserve for 24 rounds then Luai or The chin go down. Do you think Burton is going to go out and win a game for the panthers? The reason why clubs move on people in burton's situation is that he can also be a negative influence plus he wont bust an arse if he does come on. The plus for the panthers is they get more cap space freed up to bring in players who want the opportunity

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We just have very little leverage in negations. I think the only way it happens now is if Burton throws the toys out of the cot.
Love it if he came and sat on the Bulldogs side in Round 2, he won’t have anything else to do, as he won’t be on the field. Hahahaha.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
A player is better playing 25 first grade games than only 1 or 2, finals or not. Clubs generally don’t keep players that don’t want to be there
He'll spend the year preparing to be a half in a team fighting for top 4 and premiership. That counts for a lot.

How many games are panthers players out for origin this year?
Both origins minimum then any injuries in the halves.

Flanagun

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can't really blame the Panthers for wanting to keep him, but I'd love to see him arrive here a year early....and that would be in Matt's best interests too. I think the argument that he would be better off playing a handful of games at Penrith rather than a full season at The Dogs is absurd, but sadly, he is contracted and if Penrith don't want to let him go, there's not much we can do.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can't really blame the Panthers for wanting to keep him, but I'd love to see him arrive here a year early....and that would be in Matt's best interests too. I think the argument that he would be better off playing a handful of games at Penrith rather than a full season at The Dogs is absurd, but sadly, he is contracted and if Penrith don't want to let him go, there's not much we can do.
Yes we can. We just keep whinging. Hahahaha.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He'll spend the year preparing to be a half in a team fighting for top 4 and premiership. That counts for a lot.

So with bugger all injuries again (which was one of the main reasons you went as well as you did last year) he MAY play 2 first grade games

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
CLEARY RESPONDS TO BURTON’S EXIT PLEA

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has responded to reports linking back-up five-eighth Matt Burton with an early move to the Bulldogs.

The 20-year-old is due to join Canterbury in 2022, but former Panthers assistant and new Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett wants him this season.

“I’ve said all along that Matt’s a really valuable member of our squad,” Cleary said.

“We really value him as a person and a player.”

Cleary also responded to reports of a potential swap deal involving Burton and Bulldogs and former Maroons prop Dylan Napa.

“If you keep getting asked which we have, they keep asking the question, I suppose there’s always something that might make a deal happen,” Cleary said.

“But realistically there hasn’t been so I’m not too sure what all the fuss is about.

“Matt’s part of our team and there’s never been any inkling he’s going to leave.

If you keep getting asked, of course you throw out something that may make a deal happen, but I don’t think that was ever going to happen.

“There was just a bit of talk there but nope.”

Burton has scored three tries in six games since making his debut for the Panthers in 2019.

#FREEBURTON
If you keep getting asked, you propose a ridiculously 1 sided deal that is unlikely to happen and than continue to act like a cu** about it.

Thats how I read it.

Tyrone May leap frogged Burton for both the backup half and centre position so Cleary wants a starter prop on 650k in exchange for his backup for the backup. Probably still salty we sold him a dummy with Reynolds and Mbye.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
From memory in 2019 (Pre-Covid, Updated Origin schedule), the way it worked was out of the 3 games, any club is really impacted once, and no one has any more advantage than the others.

Game 1, half the clubs have a bye week, the other clubs play - you may lose players to Origin 1.
Game 2, standalone Origin - bye week for all clubs with only Test matches leading up to it, no clubs impacted.
Game 3, the other half of the clubs have a bye week that didn't have one the first time around, a similar situation to Origin 1, there is no origin impact other than a player backing up a Game 3 on a Wednesday into a Thursday/ Friday clash - some players do back-up that quick, some don't.