News Matt Burton wants out

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with all of that to an extent. However he's continually put on mass in the last 2 seasons and won't be small forever. The key to realising Meaneys value is looking at how well he links with his supports once he has made a break. This is pretty valuable to have in a winger, lots of them are stupid and go for the dumb play. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in improving his weaknesses with a better attacking structure and having his role more defined wether that be in first grade or reserve grade because they boys done everything asked if him in difficult circumstances
I'm with you in regards to Meany, I just saw something that I liked, and I feel sorry him because he was not give a decent opportunity at FB. But now I guess we will never know unless he gets an opportunity at another club

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with you in regards to Meany, I just saw something that I liked, and I feel sorry him because he was not give a decent opportunity at FB. But now I guess we will never know unless he gets an opportunity at another club
I agree about Meaney not given a proper shot in position, same goes for a few other players over last few years. But Allen shits all over him with similar if not less experience.

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously I wasn’t privy to that information regarding Whare, because if I was I certainly would not have used it needless to say.
To use your own words.... "do yourself a favour and research into Penriths player depth and experience before mouthing off because you just come off like an uninformed twat"

Fool

Bigmous

on the loose
Premium Member
Reaction score
Phil Gould on the today show this morning said that the Panthers should release Burton.

By the way if we’re intent on playing Allen at fullback and Avo kills it. I wouldn’t mind seeing Burton play a ball playing lock kind of role in the future...Thoughts??

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please don't be throwing around top 4. It only puts unnecessary pressure on Baz.
Making the 8 should be a realistic goal, playing more attacking/attractive football and forming strong combinations with a young spine should all be 2021 goals. I mean nothing is impossible, we could get on a run in the semi finals, but hell lets try to make the 8 first. So, If Burton arrives early....
1. Allan 2. DWZ 3. Hoppa 4 Cotric 5 Okunbor 6 Burton 7 Flanno 8 Thompson 9 JMK or Katoa (only 1) 10 Renouf 11 Jackson 12 RFM 13 Elliot 14 Avo 15 Napa :-( 16 Waddell 17 C Smith 18 Stimson or Doorey (this is with everyone available). Good times ahead comrades
You left out Hetho

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With the game this year expected to get even quicker, I think it calls for more mobility & IMO - A guy like Burton who is a ranger type of half could easily fill the 13 jumper but play like a second 5/8 on the opposite side to Averillo.

The more I think about it, Burton could be our equivalent to former Storm boy & I think Bulldogs Junior Scott Hill - although Burton is faster & has a better kicking game.

Flano plays one of the ruck in attack on both sides of the field, with Burt & Av playing as a 6 one on each side of the field.

All out ATTACK!!!

Last edited:

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be interesting to see the backline they go with if we snag Burton for this year. Cant see Avo starting unless its in the centres as I'm pretty sure Allen will get first crack at fullback...Interesting times but a good position to be in.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be interesting to see the backline they go with if we snag Burton for this year. Cant see Avo starting unless its in the centres as I'm pretty sure Allen will get first crack at fullback...Interesting times but a good position to be in.
allen's best position is definitely fullback but he can also play wing as well. I'd say either averillo fullback or 14 and allen fullback or wing. Maybe its a case of just fitting your best players on the park somewhere but its a good problem to have finally!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
allen's best position is definitely fullback but he can also play wing as well. I'd say either averillo fullback or 14 and allen fullback or wing. Maybe its a case of just fitting your best players on the park somewhere but its a good problem to have finally!
Barrett is on record saying he is an out and out fullback. Plus, we signed him on a 3 year deal. Says to me he is at the forefront of his plans and will be our number 1

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we get Burton this year I can’t see him playing anywhere else but five eighth and who knows where they leaves Averillo. It’s not the worst position to be in as at least we have depth and it lessens the chance of Lewis playing. What will be very interesting to see is if Averillo ends up getting a year at five eighth this season and totally kills it.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Phil Gould on the today show this morning said that the Panthers should release Burton.

By the way if we’re intent on playing Allen at fullback and Avo kills it. I wouldn’t mind seeing Burton play a ball playing lock kind of role in the future...Thoughts??
Burton certainly has the build and skills to play lock but if he wanted to do that he would have stayed at Penrith as that was their long term plan for him if he stayed.

He's a playmaking half who doesn't want to play lock or centre etc.. He came here to play in the halves so he's not playing any other position whenever he arrives.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t get people suggesting Burton to play lock ??? We have already 2 locks in JJ and Elliot and Burton will be wasted at lock he will be our 5/8 for the next 10 years which is a position we haven’t covered in how long ? You guys are seriously taking this signing for granted...

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don’t get people suggesting Burton to play lock ??? We have already 2 locks in JJ and Elliot and Burton will be wasted at lock he will be our 5/8 for the next 10 years which is a position we haven’t covered in how long ? You guys are seriously taking this signing for granted...
Plus think of the defensive workload he's going to have to do at lock as well. Do we really want him making 30 plus tackles a game? If he isn't going to make those tackles who will?