Flat screen TV question

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@DinkumDog if I bought a used TV privately that was still under warranty and I found a "fault" with it...can I claim through the warranty and get a new one? Lol.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
@DinkumDog if I bought a used TV privately that was still under warranty and I found a "fault" with it...can I claim through the warranty and get a new one? Lol.
Depends if the original owner registered the warranty with the OEM. If yes I’d say no you can’t but if no you could register the warranty and possibly make a claim if you needed to (though a purchase receipt might be required to make claims). Maybe ask the seller if they still have the purchase receipt?

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Depends if the original owner registered the warranty with the OEM. If yes I’d say no you can’t but if no you could the register the warranty and possibly make a claim if you needed to (though a purchase receipt might be required to make claims). Maybe ask the seller if they still have the purchase receipt?
True. I just saw a guy around the area selling a few months old CX 55"...was just going to throw some stupid low ball offer and see where it got me lol.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Haven't looked too much into it. I pretty much upgraded once a year. Last one I got was the S20. Then I saw that the note 20 was a minor upgrade and decided that I'll stick with the S20 for at least another year. Probably won't bother looking at another phone until the S22 comes out.

That said, the S20 has been amazing for me so the S21 should be great too. There is one caveat though. Most Samsung phones in Australia use a different chip to the ones in the US. The Australian chip overheats often. In summer I can't use my phone for navigation for more than 30 minutes without it overheating and shutting down.

But I think the S21 uses a newer chip that doesn't overheat.
My s20 overheats as well, particularly if im doing something like maps or a video call and charging at the same time

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
True. I just saw a guy around the area selling a few months old CX 55"...was just going to throw some stupid low ball offer and see where it got me lol.
Never know your luck in the big city.
If he hasn’t been able to move it you might get a bite...

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My s20 overheats as well, particularly if im doing something like maps or a video call and charging at the same time
Yep. We kind of got screwed when Samsung gave us a different CPU to most of the others.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yo @DinkumDog my TV broke last night... just stopped home for lunch and it still won't turn on. I think this is the universe telling my something :tearsofjoy:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Yo @DinkumDog my TV broke last night... just stopped home for lunch and it still won't turn on. I think this is the universe telling my something :tearsofjoy:
FC1FE27C-057D-4B7A-BAC3-31A235D4CAEC.jpeg

Left = incorrect. Right = correct.
Thanks for contacting the helpdesk, we hope we were able to resolve your issue :-).

More seriously - definitely a strong sign from the cosmos. Which way you leaning replacement wise?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
View attachment 20476
Left = incorrect. Right = correct.
Thanks for contacting the helpdesk, we hope we were able to resolve your issue :-).

More seriously - definitely a strong sign from the cosmos. Which way you leaning replacement wise?
Probably just going to steal my sisters monitor because she's not working from home anymore lol.

Idk, can't decide. All TV's seem to have some sort of issue with them but I'll probably never actually notice it. The Samsung Q80t 65" is under 2k and costs less than the 55"...not sure what's doing there, but I suppose there's room to haggle there? No DV though but I'm not sure if that's even going to be an issue for the PS5?

Ahh, I'm terrible with this. You should've seen how long it took me to buy my laptop :tearsofjoy:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Probably just going to steal my sisters monitor because she's not working from home anymore lol.

Idk, can't decide. All TV's seem to have some sort of issue with them but I'll probably never actually notice it. The Samsung Q80t 65" is under 2k and costs less than the 55"...not sure what's doing there, but I suppose there's room to haggle there? No DV though but I'm not sure if that's even going to be an issue for the PS5?

Ahh, I'm terrible with this. You should've seen how long it took me to buy my laptop :tearsofjoy:
I think 65” are cheaper because of volume. Not making as many 55” any more as 75” go more mainstream.

I thought PS5 didn’t support DV itself. It’s 4K BD, but no DV support so the TV not having DV won’t matter.

Bing Lee seem to have a bunch of run-out models now - not sure if that coincides with all the kit that’s been announced at CES that’ll drop in the next couple of months - but they’ve got stuff well under $2K you might wanna check to see if you can tick the boxes there. You can also use Afterpay if you prefer to pay it off in instalments but that of course probably takes away your bargaining power. Good luck!

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think 65” are cheaper because of volume. Not making as many 55” any more as 75” go more mainstream.

I thought PS5 didn’t support DV itself. It’s 4K BD, but no DV support so the TV not having DV won’t matter.

Bing Lee seem to have a bunch of run-out models now - not sure if that coincides with all the kit that’s been announced at CES that’ll drop in the next couple of months - but they’ve got stuff well under $2K you might wanna check to see if you can tick the boxes there. You can also use Afterpay if you prefer to pay it off in instalments but that of course probably takes away your bargaining power. Good luck!
The problem with 4k/8k is the same with when HD first came out - the majority of shows and moves (HD tv etc) would only have a maximum output of 720p - which does not fully utilize the TV's potential.

Even with some games - 720p was the maximum resolution until years after the release of 1080p hardware.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
The problem with 4k/8k is the same with when HD first came out - the majority of shows and moves (HD tv etc) would only have a maximum output of 720p - which does not fully utilize the TV's potential.

Even with some games - 720p was the maximum resolution until years after the release of 1080p hardware.
Agree content has been slow to catch up.
If the Tokyo Olympics ever happen, they are supposed to broadcast in 8K, but not sure if that applies in Australia, I don’t know of any broadcasters who have the kit and spectrum to do that.

I think the TV manufacturers are taking gamers more seriously now with HDMI 2.1, VRR etc but how many of the gaming publishers are?

Classic chicken and egg scenario and annoying :rage:.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

I'll have a gander this weekend and and see what it's like...if I'm happy with it and I can bring them down I'll just get it and then regret my decision later this year when the new models come out :tearsofjoy:

Yh the PS5 doesn't support DV, Sony probably didn't want to pay the licensing fee or whatever.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sony probably didn't want to pay the licensing fee or whatever.
Possibly true but Sony can afford Dolby’s extortionate licence fees. More than 20 years ago I was involved in a technology that was multichannel (surround sound) for headphones. Was pretty cool for its day.

Dolby’s fees to license it were ridiculous then, I’d hate to see what they are now. Possibly becomes a competitive issue - if that license pushed up the cost of the PS5 by say $50-$100 it might impact sales.