News Bulldogs tipped for late Benji Marshall play after Burton release attempt falls through

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You make a very valid point about having him play fullback in reggies. This is where you have to weigh up if Averillo’s development at fullback is more important then having the best team you can field in NRL for 21.
It's a hard thing to weigh up isn't it?
I suppose it comes back to the sort of pre-season Averillo has and what players are available come round 1.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Grant, yes I’ll give you thst. Nofoaluma? No fucking way. I don’t know how you can compare a winger to someone who sparked most of their attack in the second part of the year and won numerous games for a side that didn’t win that many games, no matter how good that winger is.
Mate I’d take nofa over benji every day of the week. Makes all there line breaks, gets there sets rolling. He’s a gun, little pocket rocket. Benji if he could tackle would help a bit

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Mate I’d take nofa over benji every day of the week. Makes all there line breaks, gets there sets rolling. He’s a gun, little pocket rocket. Benji if he could tackle would help a bit
Not denying he is a gun, but I don’t think you can compare him to a playmaker who sets up a large number of their tries.

I’d be happy to have them both, but if given the choice between a winger and a playmaker who could help spark our attack, I’d take the playmaker every time.

Syrian Bulldog

New Pup
Reaction score
Are you all stupid, we’ve been shit for 5 years. Why can’t we be shit for another season as it officially is the rebuild year. What ‘experience’ could Benji possibly offer to Flanagan other than playing over 300 games. He’s gained pure experience from blokes that have done it year after year in players like Hodkinson and Townsend at Cronulla and Keary at Roosters with 3 premierships. Now he has Barrett as the coach who said it’s his team. Hopefully we get Burton early. Barrett also resigned Wakeham for 2 more years so he will be the backup half one would imagine.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Yeah somebody mentioned that at the open training session Lewis was throwing crisp passes and looked better than Flanno. WTF. The thought of Lewis in FG is sucking all the fun and anticipation out of next year for me as I'm scared Lewis may scam his way into FG somehow.

I think Penrith signing Salmon has made it much more likely we'll get Burton. Malla did say Burton will be here next year, and now there are rumours from Penrith that they might release him, so it all seems to be coming together.
No 13 on 13 opposed stuff yet going buy the coaching staff videos, so easy to do that stuff under no real pressure... As always Lewis will crumble in a real game

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I agree. He still looks uncomfortable playing NRL at times so it’s going to take some time. He has the natural talent without a doubt he just needs game time to find his feet as a first grader.

Fullback is a high pressure position I just hope he isn’t thrown in the deep end because he does seem to be some what of a confidence player.
Yep just because he has some attributes as a fullback doesn’t mean he is a fullback. He could be like Phil Tufnell under the high ball. He might not be able to organise a defensive line.

But if we knew all the answers this page would be pretty boring so it’s always good to speculate.

I still reckon he could be an elite centre. Yes he was a flaming pile of shit in defence but that was only his reading of the play. He still tackled ok when he knew what the fark was coming at him. When he got the ball in hand he was awesome.

In Tbaz I trust

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes. TB said previously that Avo is being considered for FB because of his attacking skills but the other big factosr to sort out for FB were their defense and organising the defensive line. If Avo can show he can do this and is reliable under the bombs he'll be the FB because Hoppa is too slow.
Hopoate is training at centre and Meaney at fullback from what I have seen. When they get back there's 13 against 13 opposed sessions, so we will get more of an idea of who is playing where in a couple of weeks.

Go Dogs

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He can become an outstanding FB but the kid cant take the punishment yet. He barely made it through last season and needs time. Im hoping he can take the RTS path.
A few great FB started by playing on the the wing prior to making the change, RTS and before him Mini. I think a year or 2 on the wing will do wonders for Averillo at FB, mind you I think TB will play him at 6 until we get Burton.
It will be interesting if TB will use 2021 as a year to develop our up and coming players aka, Averillo, Schouup, Topane etc. or pick players to win as many games as possible. We all know that pay did the latter, (to be best of his ability of course).

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Are you all stupid, we’ve been shit for 5 years. Why can’t we be shit for another season as it officially is the rebuild year. What ‘experience’ could Benji possibly offer to Flanagan other than playing over 300 games. He’s gained pure experience from blokes that have done it year after year in players like Hodkinson and Townsend at Cronulla and Keary at Roosters with 3 premierships. Now he has Barrett as the coach who said it’s his team. Hopefully we get Burton early. Barrett also resigned Wakeham for 2 more years so he will be the backup half one would imagine.
I stopped reading at "are you all stupid" ... because you're stupid.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Robin loses and dies lol.
We only need Robyn for a season. Benji cant defend nor is he a mentor. He has been to tigers & broncs and no half there has kicked on under his alledged tutelage. Quite simply I would rather save our dough and put either Lewis or Averillo in the position. I think Averillo is more suitable to other positions than 5/8 plus, as pointed out here already, we have a full time 5/8 incoming so why waste a year of development of Averillo in a position he wont play long term.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Didnt someone state that Baz resigned Wakeham?
Anyway all i hope is that poor Jake is NOT reading this hot mess he would not know whether he was arthur or martha :tearsofjoy:

Baz will work it out and will likely get it right, though the fact remains we may battle a bit at 6 next year if Matty doesnt get released by that dicklicker Cleary...

DaddyCool

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'd sign Benji as a backup. If we sign him and then we manage to snag Burton early then Benji plays CC. He'd only be there to stop the prince from playing FG but he's not a good option. It's never a good thing buying a Tigers reject
JAC?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We only need Robyn for a season. Benji cant defend nor is he a mentor. He has been to tigers & broncs and no half there has kicked on under his alledged tutelage. Quite simply I would rather save our dough and put either Lewis or Averillo in the position. I think Averillo is more suitable to other positions than 5/8 plus, as pointed out here already, we have a full time 5/8 incoming so why waste a year of development of Averillo in a position he wont play long term.
Lewis is the most overrated and toxic pos in the side.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hopoate is training at centre and Meaney at fullback from what I have seen. When they get back there's 13 against 13 opposed sessions, so we will get more of an idea of who is playing where in a couple of weeks.

Go Dogs
Do you know where Avo was training ?