The "R U OK ?" Thread

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Does anyone else get any sort of internal pain and instantly think "oh shit, I'm about to die" lol. Anyway I've been feeling it the whole day and can't stop thinking about it lol.
I have been feeling it for weeks. Been thinking I'm going to die any day now. Pretty sure I'm just getting old.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score
Found out today that a parent from school suicided. Only had brief contact with them but it has hit hard. Little kid that always had smiling eyes, will never be the same again. RIP DAD.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Found out today that a parent from school suicided. Only had brief contact with them but it has hit hard. Little kid that always had smiling eyes, will never be the same again. RIP DAD.
Sad.

I hope the kid grows up ok. I'm 40 and I still need the Old Man sometimes...

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Been a tuff week. I couldnt get out of the car on Thursday morning. Sat there in the carpark at work for about 20 mins. Didnt want to get out, didnt want to go home, didnt want to be anywhere. I had the keys so I opened up. Workers started arriving. Went threw the usual charade of gday, hows it going yeah good thanks. Put on a smile. Some times I just want to tell people 'I feel like shit, just stay the fuck away from me'. I just tell myself internally to shut up, dont be a **** because others shouldnt have to deal with my shit and get on with it.

I work with the sharpest bloke Ive ever met. We take the piss out of each other all day, he usually has me in stitches so that helps turn a down morning into getting shit done and enjoying the day.

I dont do well this time of year for various reasons. Last year was fine, the year before ok but this year has been hard.
Good thing is im conscious of it. That doesnt mean I prepare to be a miserable prick at xmas, just to be conscious of where Im at. I stopped taking meds years ago for anxiety and depression. I still get depressed at times but its not as bad as years gone by.
I take extra holidays now at xmas. Keep busy with my hobby. Write to do lists, work on the house. Also set aside time to do nothing but I usually end up working on my hobby anyway which is fine.

I knew Id feel better once I got threw the last working week and I do.

Had plans for the holidays to see family but that hasnt worked out. Was looking forward to a long drive, to get away but theres nothing I can do about it so soldier on.
Feeling good today. Got a few things to do. I cant sit still because then Ill just feel down again. Need a sense of accomplishment, moving forward no matter how small the task.

Not really into disclosing my life online. No one knows who I am anyways. Just thought Id share what helps me get threw the tuff times as I know others struggle this time of the year.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Been a tuff week. I couldnt get out of the car on Thursday morning. Sat there in the carpark at work for about 20 mins. Didnt want to get out, didnt want to go home, didnt want to be anywhere. I had the keys so I opened up. Workers started arriving. Went threw the usual charade of gday, hows it going yeah good thanks. Put on a smile. Some times I just want to tell people 'I feel like shit, just stay the fuck away from me'. I just tell myself internally to shut up, dont be a c*** because others shouldnt have to deal with my shit and get on with it.

I work with the sharpest bloke Ive ever met. We take the piss out of each other all day, he usually has me in stitches so that helps turn a down morning into getting shit done and enjoying the day.

I dont do well this time of year for various reasons. Last year was fine, the year before ok but this year has been hard.
Good thing is im conscious of it. That doesnt mean I prepare to be a miserable prick at xmas, just to be conscious of where Im at. I stopped taking meds years ago for anxiety and depression. I still get depressed at times but its not as bad as years gone by.
I take extra holidays now at xmas. Keep busy with my hobby. Write to do lists, work on the house. Also set aside time to do nothing but I usually end up working on my hobby anyway which is fine.

Had plans for the holidays to see family but that hasnt worked out. Was looking forward to a long drive, to get away but theres nothing I can do about it so soldier on.
Feeling good today. Got a few things to do. I cant sit still because then Ill just feel down again. Need a sense of accomplishment, moving forward no matter how small the task.

Not really into disclosing my life online. No one knows who I am anyways. Just thought Id share what helps me get threw the tuff times as I know others struggle this time of the year.
You are doing the right thing by keeping that mind active. Always feel free to share your feelings here mate. That’s why Kennel legends and all round champion blokes @ASSASSIN and @south of heaven started this thread..we are all here to help..you are never alone.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You are doing the right thing by keeping that mind active. Always feel free to share your feelings here mate. That’s why Kennel legends and all round champion blokes @ASSASSIN and @south of heaven started this thread..we are all here to help..you are never alone.
Cheers mate, appreciate it.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Been a tuff week. I couldnt get out of the car on Thursday morning. Sat there in the carpark at work for about 20 mins. Didnt want to get out, didnt want to go home, didnt want to be anywhere. I had the keys so I opened up. Workers started arriving. Went threw the usual charade of gday, hows it going yeah good thanks. Put on a smile. Some times I just want to tell people 'I feel like shit, just stay the fuck away from me'. I just tell myself internally to shut up, dont be a c*** because others shouldnt have to deal with my shit and get on with it.

Hang in there mate, I know a few psychologists and they will tell you that this is their busiest time of year. So much unnecessary pressure, it’s just crazy! Throw in extended time spent with family (that maybe you wouldn’t have normally) or time spent away from loved ones is another reason it can be difficult.

Glad to see you plan to focus on hobbies mate, I don’t think we all do enough of taking an insular approach and doing what we like to do, there’s always the tendency to please others...I’m guilty of this also.

Look after yourself mate and get through this period and then spend the time on yourself to re-charge.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hang in there mate, I know a few psychologists and they will tell you that this is their busiest time of year. So much unnecessary pressure, it’s just crazy! Throw in extended time spent with family (that maybe you wouldn’t have normally) or time spent away from loved ones is another reason it can be difficult.

Glad to see you plan to focus on hobbies mate, I don’t think we all do enough of taking an insular approach and doing what we like to do, there’s always the tendency to please others...I’m guilty of this also.

Look after yourself mate and get through this period and then spend the time on yourself to re-charge.
Thanks mate, really appreciate it.
Feeling good today.
I suppose the older you get, you grow, you become wiser.
I think taking time out for oneself is a must ( well it is for me ). Some have kids and other commitments which makes it real difficult.
Ive found that people that feel the weight of depression are generally very creative.
Even if its building a car, woodworking, bloke at work draws and paints, another one welds, whatever. Leave a guitar in the corner of the lounge room where you'll see it everyday, make a rule to pick it up for 5 mins a day (guarantee it will be longer most days). I think anything that interests someone is time well spent. Otherwise life ticks by. Doing something creative gives me a sense of pride, self worth and just a release from the everyday shit. I get alot out of it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Had some really shit news today. My niece's uncle on her father's side has just gotten a terminal cancer diagnosis. He's a great bloke too. He's spent the last two years working hard on losing weight and had up until six weeks ago been losing it gradually. Then six or so weeks back he's begun dropping weight at an alarming rate. Got to the point where he spent last week in hospital getting loads of tests done. I tend to deal with these things well. But it's really hard knowing what to say to him and his parents. There's nothing really that helps.

I'm going to see if he's got anything on the bucket list I can help him with. But it's sad seeing a bloke who's generally bubbly and full of humour feeling like crap.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Had some really shit news today. My niece's uncle on her father's side has just gotten a terminal cancer diagnosis. He's a great bloke too. He's spent the last two years working hard on losing weight and had up until six weeks ago been losing it gradually. Then six or so weeks back he's begun dropping weight at an alarming rate. Got to the point where he spent last week in hospital getting loads of tests done. I tend to deal with these things well. But it's really hard knowing what to say to him and his parents. There's nothing really that helps.

I'm going to see if he's got anything on the bucket list I can help him with. But it's sad seeing a bloke who's generally bubbly and full of humour feeling like crap.
Mate that sucks. Its great that your going to try and do something positive for him and bring some joy into his life.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Gee that is terrible news.. cancer is a shit of a disease, it does not discriminate.. However, what wonderful thing you are going to do.. I dip my toupee to you..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

You're a top bloke my bro.

Wish him and you all the best.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

Very sorry to hear mate. Is he a dog’s supporter? If so PM me

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Very sorry to hear mate. Is he a dog’s supporter? If so PM me
Not sure who he supports. More of a union fan with league as a sideline. Not even sure if he's up for a roadtrip or anything since he's pretty crook. He's a muso though. Likely he'll want to play a last gig or something along those lines.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not sure who he supports. More of a union fan with league as a sideline. Not even sure if he's up for a roadtrip or anything since he's pretty crook. He's a muso though. Likely he'll want to play a last gig or something along those lines.
Ahh ok. That would be good mate. I hope he gets to do that

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

That really sucks mate.
In terms of what to say, just say the exact same stuff you normally would to him.
Every person who knows about it will feel awkward and be treading on egg shells around him, he'll appreciate your authenticity and the familiarity more than anything.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That really sucks mate.
In terms of what to say, just say the exact same stuff you normally would to him.
Every person who knows about it will feel awkward and be treading on egg shells around him, he'll appreciate your authenticity and the familiarity more than anything.
Great advice. Generally speaking our chats have been pretty random. But we've got similar taste in books. So I guess I'll keep that as the fallback topic.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hang in there mate, I know a few psychologists and they will tell you that this is their busiest time of year. So much unnecessary pressure, it’s just crazy!
Can confirm. And whereas most years it doesn't become noticeable till mid November at the earliest, this year it was noticeable around early October. Things have gotten really intense, there are a lot of people out there whose stress, anxiety, and/or depression is really high right now.

Good time to find some ways to take the pressure off, but at the same time be active with things you enjoy, be that hobbies, exercise, seeing family, etc.