Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We dont need backs though. Already too many...Hopoate, DWZ, Meaney, Cotric, JAC (2022), Okunbor, Averillo. 7 players For 5 positions. Already hard to figure who gets left out, and worse when JAC arrives
Of the 28 currently listed we have 12 backs and 16 forwards, doesn't seem like too many backs to me.

Go Dogs

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We dont need backs though. Already too many...Hopoate, DWZ, Meaney, Cotric, JAC (2022), Okunbor, Averillo. 7 players For 5 positions. Already hard to figure who gets left out, and worse when JAC arrives
I honestly don't think Hoppa will be re signed, besides his manager seems to have a chip on his shoulder against us.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I honestly don't think Hoppa will be re signed, besides his manager seems to have a chip on his shoulder against us.
Dunno why, hes been one of our more consistent players, without being a superstar. But if he does go, we still have 6 starting players for 5 positions, without counting fringe/development backs we have with Shoup, Crichton, Katoa

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Matt should just walk & join the dogs
I said that before and a few nameless kennelers jumped on my post and stated point blank that they would not want or respect him if he walked out on the Panthers....of cause little did they know that Cleary would turn out massive arrogant prick and have sand in his vagina. I wouldn't blame the kid for walking but it seems that Matt has character and will ride out the rest of his contract playing 4th fiddle at Penrith.

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless he actually wants to stay on in 21 his manager should on top of this and make the usual noises to get him out

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dunno why, hes been one of our more consistent players, without being a superstar. But if he does go, we still have 6 starting players for 5 positions, without counting fringe/development backs we have with Shoup, Crichton, Katoa
Well I can't see C.Crichton or Katoa being retained either but that's my opinion. The only way C.Crichton stays is if we sign his brother but then again like I said that's just my opinion.

hoody06

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hoppa, Meaney and Okunbor, are all off contract so no guarantees they'll be there in 22. If Chrichton is pursued which I'm sure he is and we land him then i dare say Hoppa will be gone. As much as i admire hoppa, it's a major upgrade!

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as I want Burton here for 2021, I totally see why the Panthers want to retain him for next season. I wouldn’t be happy with us releasing players to go else where . Think of Thurston in 2004. Would we of been happy to release him when he signed with the Cowboys?? No we kept him and got some value out of him in the semis when Braith got injured.

maltalian_dog

DESeption
Reaction score
As much as I want Burton here for 2021, I totally see why the Panthers want to retain him for next season. I wouldn’t be happy with us releasing players to go else where . Think of Thurston in 2004. Would we of been happy to release him when he signed with the Cowboys?? No we kept him and got some value out of him in the semis when Braith got injured.
Agree to an extent but Burton has may ahead of him and now has to compete with Salmon.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Not the same thing!

Thurston signed in 2004 for 2005...

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
the Thurston analogy is not the best one... he started the 2004 season as our starting five eighth until he suffered a bad leg injury... he also signed with the Cowboys mid-season and not before the start of the season as with Burton