They were not Star players, but enjoyed watching them.

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim Lafai in 2014 was our last solid attacking threat loved watching him play also loved having toilers like Chris armit Tim Browne and dene halatau when he was healthy in the side

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thinking about some of the bulldogs players that I enjoyed watching play. They were not star players & at times struggled to hold their place in first grade.
PHIL CHARLETON. Not the most mobile forward but skilful & a deadly defender. The original exponent of the shoulder charge. ( I believe the best also.) Caused damage when tackling.
STAN CUTLER. Played in various backline positions, but fullback was his best. Fast, great defender & with good attacking skills. Bleed blue & white.
STEVE HAGE. Tough, aggressive skilful forward. Something happen when Steve was around. ( not always legal) had only a year, amazed he did not develop into great player.
Steve Reardon. Tough defender, powerful runner, an 80 minutes forward with a big motor. Never let the dogs down. Great team player.
I am sure there are many others I have left out.
How could we forget...
Phil Charleton's beer belly, Stan Cutler's butter fingers or Steve Hage's hit on Steve kneen at Belmore sports ground to make the NSW team :tearsofjoy:
In saying this my choices are...
Garry Hughes...Made every teammate around him look extraordinary !
Peter Kelly...He was the Ned Kelly of Canterbury, he put the fear in every opposition player in the comp and that was a fact !

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim Lafai in 2014 was our last solid attacking threat loved watching him play also loved having toilers like Chris armit Tim Browne and dene halatau when he was healthy in the side

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim Browne also has a surprisingly great highlights video on YouTube I remember very little of it tbh haha

Jarrad El Hickey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tim Browne also has a surprisingly great highlights video on YouTube I remember very little of it tbh haha

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Jamal Lolesi was pretty good (sadly better then what we have today). He did have some speed. That try against penrith where he changes direction and seems to go faster. Wish Hoppa could do that :p

Sadly too much talent at the time, was competing with Harris, Tonga, Hazem, Utai. Reminds me a bit of Rapana.

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Chase Stanley. I think he had a lot of potential and played some really impressive football, but as we all know he was injury prone and probably never reached his full potential.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chase Stanley. I think he had a lot of potential and played some really impressive football, but as we all know he was injury prone and probably never reached his full potential.
good pick... both Stanley brothers had a lot of potential but unfortunately, both were also terribly injury prone

Dogs79

Kennel Established
Reaction score
good pick... both Stanley brothers had a lot of potential but unfortunately, both were also terribly injury prone
Agreed mate, forgot about his Brother, another promising career cut short by some cruel injuries.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I thought Kyle Stanley would play Origin... just kept having ACL injuries

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember a game at Belmore probably late 1970s when I was a kid Dogs V Cronulla. Steve Hage was a tough second rower for the Dogs who played for NSW that year I think. A second rower for the Sharks was called Steve Kneen who went on to play for Australia that year (and Kangaroo tour from memory). Kneen was known as a tough nut too. When Hage was playing the ball Kneen gave Hage a bit of a tap across the head. Hage smiled at him. The next time Kneen ran the ball Hage tackled him and I don't know what Hage did but Kneen was carried off on a stretcher. Was funny enough for me to still remember.

Mark Brokenshire was one of the hardest tacklers I ever remember playing for the Dogs. Solomon Haumono, Gillespie, Pay and SBW were pretty good too.

Stan Cutler was about the 3rd best fullback in the comp at one stage. His son (was it Trent) played a few games for us too.

1980 the year we won both the first grade and reserve grade comps. I remember often in reserve grade seeing many many length of the field tries. The reserve grade half Mal Creevy one week scored 3 tries in reserve grade then came on in first grade and scored another 3. A lock forward called Alan Geelan OR Geeland was a real star also. He would almost break tackles at will. Everyone thought he was going to be a superstar but I think he got into the drink from what I read. Ended up playing a few seasons of first grade for Wests but nothing spectacular.

Last edited:

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I remember Armit, he could offload in the tackle close to the line.