Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don’t think it’s a case of doing the Dogs a favour (though undoubtedly that is the end result), more about them, or any other club, wanting to see players that come through their system excel, particularly if they are not the ones that they have settled on being their long term options.
If it was me I’d value a capable back up half that knows our system while in a premiership window more then feeling warm and fuzzy about seeing that player excel at another club.

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just listened to Matt white on the SEN app he had David riolo Burtons manager on today and said at this current time he don't see Burton leaving for 2021 but said could happen down the track but stated he hasn't asked for a early release take what you want from that

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just listened to Matt white on the SEN app he had David riolo Burtons manager on today and said at this current time he don't see Burton leaving for 2021 but said could happen down the track but stated he hasn't asked for a early release take what you want from that
Kid could potentially go 20 and 21 with almost no football, as a young guy i would have thought is frothing to play NRL every week.....which he can.....at the Bulldogs. Sales pitch over

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Everyone is just playing the game.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Kid could potentially go 20 and 21 with almost no football, as a young guy i would have thought is frothing to play NRL every week.....which he can.....at the Bulldogs. Sales pitch over
100 percent. They're just saying all the right things and trying not to get offside with Penrith and fans.

He wants out. To develop, to play week in week out in his position and to get an extra 350k a year lol.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Can't get my head around the Panthers spitting the dummy out about losing Burton. I get them being upset, but they're the ones that allowed it to happen?

If he was so important, why does he have three players ahead of him in the pecking order? Why did he get so few minutes this year? Why have that given priority to sign those halves in front of him to longer contracts?

Just look at Staines. Talented young kid who they didn't want to lose, so they cut Mansour to keep him. These are the decisions clubs have to make. It's just part of the business. Agree it would be good to have some compensation, but at the same time the kid wasn't going to be playing 1st grade for them next year and most likely not in the near or distant future either.

They blocked his place to the first team, so he's naturally moved on. Weird to me.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
NRL 2021: Penrith Panthers slam Bulldogs over Matt Burton signing | Daily Telegraph

Panthers chairman Dave O’Neill has taken aim at lower-tier NRL clubs outlaying millions of dollars to sign rookie players, labelling the move “scary” and “unsustainable”

And O’Neill said young players signed to big money deals who fail to step-up into the NRL players could lead to club’s salary caps being “stuffed for three to four years”.

Penrith remain angry rising star Matt Burton was pinched by Canterbury on a two-year, $1m contract despite having played just six NRL games, three off the bench.

Kayo is your ticket to the best sport streaming Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >

And the Bulldogs also signed halfback Kyle Flanagan to a $1.5m deal over three years having played just 29 first grade games.

While not specifically naming Canterbury, O’Neill warned desperate clubs against outlaying big bucks to sign inexperienced players.

“The scary thing is when players are getting offered up to $1.5m over a three-year period and they have played three or four first grade games,” O’Neill said.

“That’s the scary part and that’s the scary part for the NRL going forward. The game can’t sustain that.

“Whether it’s Penrith players or any players in general, you get half a dozen clubs who get two or three of them wrong and all of a sudden their salary caps are stuffed for three or four years.

“I’m not saying some of these players aren’t going to be brilliant but you’re backing your horse at a very early stage. You can’t blame the players for getting the offers. Good on them.

“If I was a 20-year-old halfback, five-eighth, getting that sort of money, you’d be over the moon.

“But at the end of the day, the game is results driven so the clubs at the bottom of the table have to try and buy some talent. Then the guys at the top of the table lose the talent because they can’t afford to keep them. It’s a vicious cycle, it’s a system.

“And you can’t back-end deals these days. It just comes back to bite you. You’ve got to have a balanced roster where you’ve got your top seven or eight players on big money, then your middle section and then you have your journeymen and development players coming through.

“At Penrith, we’re a development club but a lot of clubs that don’t develop players are going to struggle with that bottom ten per cent.”

Rival clubs are circling Penrith stars after the Panthers reached this year’s NRL grand final.

Star players Jarome Luai and Stephen Crichton come off contract after next year and are certain to attract massive offers.

“The sides that are successful, clubs are obviously going to raid some of those players because you can’t keep them all due to the salary cap. That’s the problem,” O’Neill said. “Players that play in successful sides, their values go up and it’s a free world out there.

“If you said to me at the beginning of the year that (Penrith players) Charlie Staines, Matt Burton, Stephen Crichton, Liam Martin – the list goes on and on – are going to be where they are today and where they are in the market place, you would have been kidding yourself. But that is what happens.

“Where people say it (successful clubs being raided) is a bad look for the game, I’m actually proud of what our club has achieved over the last four, five, six years, to put us in this position.

“We’d like to try and keep all of them but we can only what we can do with a salary cap. We are doing our best to manage within the salary cap. Unfortunately it will be the nature of our success that we are going to lose some players. We have to try and keep the ones we can fit in our cap.”

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
But not regularly .. asotasi also wore one but not regularly..
I just had a quick check to see when Jamie finished up, 2004
That’s 16 years with no regular head piece.
Well our man Burton is bringing it back in vogue in 2021, let’s hope old man Fletcher
takes a chill pill.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Panthers chief executive Brian Fletcher wants the NRL to consider some form of salary cap compensation for development-focussed clubs whose best prospects are poached by rivals following Matt Burton's defection to Canterbury.
Burton signed with the Bulldogs on Wednesday on a two-year deal, with an option in his favour for a third season.
The gun five-eighth, 20, will at this stage join Canterbury in 2022, linking with former Penrith assistant Trent Barrett, who has become the Bulldogs' head coach.

It rounds out a stunning coup of signings for Barrett who was warned ahead of his appointment to the Dogs' top job to not poach from Penrith.

While it remains to be seen if Burton may be able to join the Dogs a year early, a frustrated Fletcher has flagged his discontent at rival club's swooping in on their talent pool without having put in any effort to develop their own crop.

"You get no compensation for it. Other clubs just come and make a big offer for them and away they go. All the hard work has been done by the coaching staff at the Panthers," Fletcher told Nine's Danny Weidler.
"I think you should (get compensation). I think if somehow along the line, if he's paid X amount of dollars to go there, part of that to the first year should go back to the club that developed him."
Fletcher also confirmed Burton, who is stuck on the sidelines behind Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai, would only be released a year early to join the Bulldogs should a one-sided deal be made in favour of the Panthers between the two clubs.

"An exception would only be made if a compromise highly in favour of Panthers was agreed to between the two clubs," Fletcher said

"But at this stage he will be playing with the Panthers next year, and he understands that."
Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill responded: "If Penrith wanted to come to us we would certainly be all ears."
Burton will form a halves pairing with outcast Sydney Roosters player Kyle Flanagan. He also joins Penrith teammate Jack Hetherington, Canberra star Nick Cotric and Manly forward Corey Waddell as a new recruit at Belmore.
"We're really excited, a player that a number of clubs were interested in, and to finally get his signature and agreement is a great vote of confidence in what we're doing and where we're heading," Fletcher said

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
On another note the riff didn't seem as morally sound when they where white anting the Tigers to land the great Ivan Clearly all to ensure the "young player" who was his son would sign a million dollar contract to stay...mmmmm
They didn’t mind paying Kikau huge rookie dollars to lure him down from North Queensland either.....

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't read too much into it. If Burton didn't want to come to us in 21 he would have told us so and the clubs wouldn't be negotiating for an early release. Based on what Penrith's CEO said yesterday they'll have a list of demands and if we meet them he'll be here next year.