Official Matt Burton to join the Bulldogs in 2022

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats not true. It came down to $$$. Folkes had a figure he wanted to pay, JT was happy to take 30% less than the 250k the cowboys paid but he wouldn't go as low as folkes's figure.
That was the "official" line they used otherwise they would have to explain the underlying situation that led to him leaving.

Dannyboi88

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am still keen to see what Wakeham and Lewis can do with a coach who actually has a clue about coaching halves and attacking structures.

Both of them were let down badly by the club due to Pay’s deficiencies as a first grade coach, but feel that they now have an opportunity to show what they have and the resources that should allow them to reach their potential.

You can’t have a team full of stars as the cap isn’t unlimited, however would be great for us if one or both became a genuine back up for Burton/Flanagan.

If they dish up more of the same in 2021, then it’s adios.
Sorry Wakeham is under eye this year but Lewis has run his race we will have a lot of players off contract this year trents gonna tap a lot more on the shoulder this year

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Panthers CEO seemed resigned to losing Burton for 21...

I do feel for Panthers minor premiers yet roster getting torn to shreds

Meanwhile the Roosters went back to back and lost players they didn’t want and only Cronk retired
Let's be honest about this though. Burton wasn't even in the starting 17. He has 2 rep halves in front of him, young guys. And another talented half.

He's a terrific pickup for us, but the Panthers are kidding themselves about getting upset about him leaving. I'd understand if he were a starting player, or even on the bench but he's neither of these.

Fucking hell. Bunch of babies

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course the competition would benefit from teams developing their own talent but teams poaching players from other teams is just part and parcel of professional sports. I still don't get what the problem is. The Panthers have 3 first grade quality players vying for 2 positions in the team. Of course someone else is going to come along and swoop on the bloke not getting regular first grade time.

Reactions: obe

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let's be honest about this though. Burton wasn't even in the starting 17. He has 2 rep halves in front of him, young guys. And another talented half.

He's a terrific pickup for us, but the Panthers are kidding themselves about getting upset about him leaving. I'd understand if he were a starting player, or even on the bench but he's neither of these.

Spot on mate

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

And he's gotta be stupid not to sign with us. Its a no-brainer.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Of course the competition would benefit from teams developing their own talent but teams poaching players from other teams is just part and parcel of professional sports. I still don't get what the problem is. The Panthers have 3 first grade quality players vying for 2 positions in the team. Of course someone else is going to come along and swoop on the bloke not getting regular first grade time.
It's not an issue at the dogs just an inherent flaw of the competition.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the fact that they are already entertaining ideas of releasing him the day of us signing him tells me he'll be in the blue n white next season.

Can't fucking wait for 2021
What's Brian Fletcher mean by saying that , that they will let him go if we pay up like a transfer fee or something like that if so does that go under our cap

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
This. It's to everyone's benefit that development of talent has incentives attached. We had one and a half teams worth of genuine first grade talent this year in our top 30. Imagine if most or all clubs had that. The overrall quality of competition would be off the charts.
I think there needs to be some sort of development fee and/or cap exception. The cap exception would have to be capped at a certain amount to prevent clubs from overspending while the development fee would likely only be small but still a reasonable amount.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What's Brian Fletcher mean by saying that , that they will let him go if we pay up like a transfer fee or something like that if so does that go under our cap
Maybe they want you to take Mansour? He's currently negotiating with the Tigers.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not an issue at the dogs just an inherent flaw of the competition.
Yeah I get what you mean mate. Unfortunately the Panthers produced talent that superfluous to their needs. I honestly think that even with some sort of development exemption Burton would have ended up somewhere else. I'd say the biggest incentive to leave Penrith was not necessarily the pay check but the chance to play consistent first grade in his preferred position.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yh but in other professionals sports such as football, clubs receive $£€ for developing players. Some clubs in Europe have academies that produce 100s of millions worth of players.

dhoo8450

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yh but in other professionals sports such as football, clubs receive $£€ for developing players. Some clubs in Europe have academies that produce 100s of millions worth of players.
Fair call man. Does that not just provide an advantage to the rich clubs that can afford to do that though? I don't follow football at all but my understanding of that sport has always been that there are a handful of big/rich clubs that constantly dominate. I can only assume that part of that is because they have the money to somewhat control the talent pool, unlike other clubs.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interestingly I watched the Chanel 9 news story regarding Burton to the Bulldogs where both Andrew Hill & then Panthers CEO Bryan Fletcher were interviewed. Fleatcher said that the only exption to release Burton early "if a compromise highly in favour of the Panthers was agreed to between the two clubs". They seemed to be spewing that he's signed with us.

So there is still hope for Burton to land at Belmore for 2021 & Hill says we have space.

After today's 2022 signing news I was so excited I was "Shakin A Tail-Feather", if he gets released early I swear I'll start break dancing.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you mention that because i told him to offer Crapa and Lewis lol

That started a 15 min convo about how the fuck we got stuck with them lol
Can you ask your source who was the knob who extended Wakeham's contract and signed up Nappa, Britt and the rest of those "superstars"? Was it all Dean Pay or are those Einsteins still at the Dogs?

Bulldog Joe

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Interestingly I watched the Chanel 9 news story regarding Burton to the Bulldogs where both Andrew Hill & then Panthers CEO Bryan Fletcher were interviewed. Fleatcher said that the only exption to release Burton early "if a compromise highly in favour of the Panthers was agreed to between the two clubs". They seemed to be spewing that he's signed with us.

So there is still hope for Burton to land at Belmore for 2021 & Hill says we have space.

After today's 2022 signing news I was so excited I was "Shakin A Tail-Feather", if he gets released early I swear I'll start break dancing.
I haven’t been this excited for a new signing for a long time Papa Joe, we will have to get to a game!