BENJI BECOMES BULLDOGS’ PLAN B AS SHARKS LIFELINE FADES

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Theres plenty of variables
We might not get burton at all.
We might not get burton till 22.
Id rather benji in the halves than lewis for 21 i dont see much difference in luai to benji except for 0ver 250 games of experience.
No burton in 21 benji or lewis ....simples benji

blue & white blood

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Star five-eighth Benji Marshall is still on the hunt for a club for 2021 after being let go by the Tigers and the Bulldogs have now emerged as an interested party with the Sharks’ interest fading away, according to The Daily Telegraph.

Marshall was linked to the Cowboys, where he’d reunite with new coach Todd Payten, his 2005 grand final teammate. However, Marshall backed away from the deal due to his desire to remain in Sydney.

The Sharks entered the conversation given key playmaker Shaun Johnson will miss the start of next season through injury, but the club is reportedly close to re-signing young half Braydon Trindall which will ultimately cancel out any chance of Marshall signing.

I understand they’re about to re-sign Braydon Trindall, their young half coming through the ranks and given that they already have Chad Townsend and Shaun Johnson at the club, I don’t think Benji Marshall will be heading to the Shire.”

The Telegraph reports the Bulldogs have discussed Marshall as an option for 2021 to add both depth and experience to their young halves stocks but it all comes down to whether new coach Trent Barrett can lure across Penrith playmaker Matt Burton.

Canterbury have offered Burton a two-year deal worth $800,000 from 2022 but remain hopeful the Panthers will release him early to make the move to Belmore for 2021.

If the Bulldogs can’t land Burton for next season, the club will likely begin talks with Marshall’s camp.

It seems though, Canterbury have more than the Panthers to worry about with Riccio revealing the Sharks also have interest in the highly regarded half.

“Interestingly, the Sharks are making a little play for Matt Burton,” he said.

“We all know the Bulldogs are in the box seat to pry Matt Burton out of Penrith, however, I understand the Sharks — as somewhat of a replacement for the off-contract Matt Moylan at the end of next year — Matt Burton is right on their radar.”

Source: The Daily Telegraph.
I'm going to say this then I'm going to run and duck for cover, bring back Josh Reynolds!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The media love throwing shit on the wall and hoping some of it sticks.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where does Averillo and Lewis fit in, Benji and Flanagan doesn't sound too bad as long as they get rotated with nsw cup and everyone gets picked on form.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
If you read Steve Mortimer's book Top Dog he speaks highly of the influence Bobby McCarthy had on him and the rest of what was a very young team in 76 and 77. We made the semis in 76 and 78, Grand Finalists in 79 and Premiers in 1980. In 77 we had a heap of injuries and sickness.

Similarly Ricky Stuart and Bradley Clyde in 1998 and 99. By 2001 we were in the window for a GF win Salary Cap scandal notwithstanding.

What an older player can do for a young group both on and off the field is the upside rather than what the older player can do himself.

In my view young players can learn nearly as much from Senior players who are intelligent, as they can from coaches.

Based on this I think Benji isn't the worst option.
Well thought out and said mate.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only issue is that Benjis last 3 clubs have been saints, tigers and broncos. I wouldn’t say any of the younger players at those clubs benefited from having him there.
The most positive outcome of having Benji for 1 year is not having Lewis and Wakeham as one of our halves for the entire year.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Only issue is that Benjis last 3 clubs have been saints, tigers and broncos. I wouldn’t say any of the younger players at those clubs benefited from having him there.
Maybe he has to an extent but it's not always about on field performance. Either way, he'll bring experience to a very young halves player at the very least.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cheers mate. Everyone is getting carried away with him for some reason. Hopefully we don't need a Plan B
mate you are a nice dude you even like nashweeds posts