Opinion on thompson

Fairclough92

New Pup
Reaction score
Hi all

Just signed upto this site (thanks for the approval)

St helens fan here just wondering on your opinion of luke thompson and how he has been for you guys this year. He was a fans favourite at our club as he progressed through our academy and won us 2 grand finals. He was our best prop since james graham in his first stint with us. He left with a bit of sour taste after he refused a pay cut over covid but many of us still with him all the best and hope he smashes it in the nrl like he did in super league.

Wouls you say he is good enough for your first team or do you feel he needs a full pre season as his move to your club was a bit distrupted

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He looked like a average NRL middle forward to be honest but there were a few mitigating circumstances to explain why he wouldn't be playing his best so I'm looking forward to seeing him next season and showing his full potential. I think his wife/girlfriend is finally in Australia now so he should be in a better head space.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He looked like a average NRL middle forward to be honest but there were a few mitigating circumstances to explain why he wouldn't be playing his best so I'm looking forward to seeing him next season and showing his full potential. I think his wife/girlfriend is finally in Australia now so he should be in a better head space.
I thought he showed some class toward the end of the year. Definitely above average imo.

PS. think hes going to be borderline elite in the future (not necessarily next season). Predicting 4-5 tries next season.

Last edited:

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is this Nasheed ?wait a min Nasheed wouldn't be able to string a sentence in like you do plus he would be riddled with spelling mistakes
Nope, he is legit from St helens..

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was one of a few that said he was being played wrong. Taking the third hitup, JMK not passing to him to give it to Tolman and Napa.

The moment he was the Prop leader (the last game) he was the best prop on the ground.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi all

St helens fan here just wondering on your opinion of luke thompson and how he has been for you guys this year. He was a fans favourite at our club as he progressed through our academy and won us 2 grand finals. He was our best prop since james graham in his first stint with us. He left with a bit of sour taste after he refused a pay cut over covid but many of us still with him all the best and hope he smashes it in the nrl like he did in super league.

Wouls you say he is good enough for your first team or do you feel he needs a full pre season as his move to your club was a bit distrupted
I'm sure we haven't seen the best of him yet. But in saying that he joined the comp when the NRL had match fitness already. As much as he looked like he was in shape, training at home doesn't compare to game time. And for at least the two weeks of isolation he was restricted to weights in a hotel room. Hardly the ideal way to get prepared to play.

So while he wasn't an instant hit here, I think he's going to be better next year.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He played within himself early on and his minutes were very sporadic. Playing behind Tolman and Napa in the pecking order did him no favours... Having no preseason and joining mid pandemic on a struggling team with a coaching change had a huge impact too.

Once he was made the dominant prop without Tolman and Napa getting in the way, Thompson showed his ability, was starting to break more tackles and offload more... He was our standout player in the last few rounds.

I think he'll have a huge preseason, Barrett will use him in space more often and Luke will prove why he was so hyped in the first place.

Last edited:

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He done well. Got better as the season went on. He’ll be in for a big year next year.

Fairclough92

New Pup
Reaction score
When he played for us he was doing long minutes and our starting 10. If you have a quick hooker and someone who can a fast play the ball he can be devistating amd cause havoc all over the field. Wish him all the best over their. Fingers crossed he returns here at some point in his career same as graham did

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
When he played for us he was doing long minutes and our starting 10. If you have a quick hooker and someone who can a fast play the ball he can be devistating amd cause havoc all over the field. Wish him all the best over their. Fingers crossed he returns here at some point in his career same as graham did
He'll go great in 2021, and even better in 2022. Took Graham a season to fully adjust to NRL.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thompson is going to be fantastic next year providing he hits leg day hard.

I feel indebted to you and St Helens so I’d like to offer you a half with nice hair that has a massive boot and good front on defence.

Deal?

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome on board,he was a bit slow to get of the mark,but with quarantine,travel etc,was understandable,and was playing in a pretty ordinary squad to be honest,but he did improve with every outing,I think he will develop into a quality player,in a new squad and new coach.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Gonna be one of the Nrls form forwards

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi all

Sadly he was very underwhelming this season, and was struggling to find his feet with the speed of the game here, especially with the new 6 again rule. But as many others have said, there were many factors that contributed to his form. Our whole team was very ordinary this year though.
Next year, with a proper off-season, a new attack minded coach, and his missus by his side should make a massive difference!!
Im expecting big things from him next year. We need him to dominate like he did in the UK!
Welcome to the kennel mate. Hope the dogs become your Aussie team!

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Shame we won't see him start off the season next year, thanks Tamou!

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Shame we won't see him start off the season next year, thanks Tamou!
Maybe Thompson shouldn't of eye gauged... thanks Thompson! It needs to be stamped out of the game, disappointing, go make up for it next year.