Opinion on thompson

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hi all

Just signed upto this site (thanks for the approval)

St helens fan here just wondering on your opinion of luke thompson and how he has been for you guys this year. He was a fans favourite at our club as he progressed through our academy and won us 2 grand finals. He was our best prop since james graham in his first stint with us. He left with a bit of sour taste after he refused a pay cut over covid but many of us still with him all the best and hope he smashes it in the nrl like he did in super league.

Wouls you say he is good enough for your first team or do you feel he needs a full pre season as his move to your club was a bit distrupted
Is he known for eye gouging back home

Cartel

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thommo came here fresh off the boat as they say...

Some folks expected him to run the ball like Jason Taumalolo, hit in defence like Trevor Gillmeister and have soft hands like Sam Kasiano.

He obviously came here under done due to covid in the UK plus no pre-season here in the NRL.

The expectations of some folks is just not reasonable, but that comes down to really a lack of knowledge.

Thommo runs hard and has great footwork. Towards the end of the season he was improving and looked like the leader in the pack.

During the offseason he will need to work on his fitness and sharpen up in defence, though i dont see this being a problem

Hopefully the club can bring out his partner soon, so he can get his dick wet on a daily basis and erase the frustrations and cobwebs

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He had me at ‘stick it to pangai jnr’ in one of his first games against the broncos. Has a bit of mongrel in him. I think he will do well. Mix him with heatherington and will make for some good forward battles

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this was unfortunate incident.There appeared to be contact with the eye. However I don’t feel that there was any actual gouging took place and I also don’t think he made deliberate contact with his eye.
I agree. I think even Tamou said he didn't feel Thompson's finger poke deeply into his eye. I reckon he just brushed the eye as his fingers moved across the face. Ridiculous long suspension with no proven intent. Should have been 1 week at most.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@flamebouyant but seriously in his last game or so he was fucking good, like a JFH/Murray hybrid.
I agree. I know you and I both agreed he had been very underwhelming since his arrival, but the last few games he was fantastic, and I think under a very different coaching regime and a decent off-season with the rest of the squad he will be fantastic.

Fingal Bay

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was one of a few that said he was being played wrong. Taking the third hitup, JMK not passing to him to give it to Tolman and Napa.

The moment he was the Prop leader (the last game) he was the best prop on the ground.
Yes he played much better when Tolman wasn’t getting in the way. Looking forward to him playing after a full off-season.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I agree. I think even Tamou said he didn't feel Thompson's finger poke deeply into his eye. I reckon he just brushed the eye as his fingers moved across the face. Ridiculous long suspension with no proven intent. Should have been 1 week at most.
And Proctor didn't bite SJ because SJ said he didn't. After the fact most players cover up for each other, in the moment is completely different. He's been found guilty from the footage, what Tamou said is irrelevant.

BULLDVGS

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Proctor didn't bite SJ because SJ said he didn't. After the fact most players cover up for each other, in the moment is completely different. He's been found guilty from the footage, what Tamou said is irrelevant.
true, shame about tamous eye ball being gouged out. he couldnt continue playing, it was fucked. NOT

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think you need to be fingered in the bum so you hopefullu wake up to your senses

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I think you need to be fingered in the bum so you hopefullu wake up to your senses
No, I just don't have my bulldogs glasses on. I have never said anything about how long he was suspended for or how bad he eye gauged (it does need to get out of them game, like certain tackles for e.g.), all I've said is he did eye gauge, which is a fact. Thompson has no one to blame but himself, he put himself in that position.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His last 2 games were good. Especially the last one. Good leg speed and step. Can put team on ftont foot in attack.
Some issue in defence, at least in first few games.
Overall promising. Looking forward to see him next year. With full pre season, settled and hopefully good instructions from new coach.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Evidence Thompson eye gauged otherwise he wouldn't of been found guilty (suspended), it was blatant. Just because they're our own (bulldogs glasses) doesn't mean they deserve to get off and not receive a punishment.
Sorry, but anyone who thinks that was an eye couge , doesn't know what an eye couge is. reckless or careless contact to the head maybe at worst..., but not eye couge..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Sorry, but anyone who thinks that was an eye couge , doesn't know what an eye couge is. reckless or careless contact to the head maybe at worst..., but not eye couge..
So why is he suspended? This is just silly, lol.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No, I just don't have my bulldogs glasses on. I have never said anything about how long he was suspended for or how bad he eye gauged (it does need to get out of them game, like certain tackles for e.g.), all I've said is he did eye gauge, which is a fact. Thompson has no one to blame but himself, he put himself in that position.
There was no gouging action whatsoever.

He went in for the tackle and had his hand around tamous face and when he realised where his hand was he pulled back.

Have a look at Josh Maguires 2 eye gouging incidences.....that will give you an idea of what an eye gouge is

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was no gouging action whatsoever.

He went in for the tackle and had his hand around tamous face and when he realised where his hand was he pulled back.

Have a look at Josh Maguires 2 eye gouging incidences.....that will give you an idea of what an eye gouge is
Maguire isn't an import playing for the Dogs, so his gouges are marked on a different scale and are perfectly fine.