Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Also there's a YouTubed named Anomaly that spells it all out for you how it's not that real.
Why am I not surprised that you get your scientific data from YouTube?

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
A couple of problems there:

1) You said it has a 0.4% kill rate (99.6% survival rate) then said "it's just the flu +25%". A bad flu is a 0.1% kill rate which means it would be just the flu + 300%

2) 0.4% of the earth's population is over 29 million people. 0.4% of Australia's population is nearly 100,000 people
1.The flu + 25% intensity would probably have a multiplier effect of 300% of what you say. So both right I guess.

2. that is extreme. There is no scenario where 100% of the population will get the virus. In a worst case scenario the herd immunity will kick in when 40% of the population get it. Even Sweden where they don't care, only 15% of the population have caught it.

The trick is to quarantine the old and open up.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
1.The flu + 25% intensity would probably have a multiplier effect of 300% of what you say. So both right I guess.

2. that is extreme. There is no scenario where 100% of the population will get the virus. In a worst case scenario the herd immunity will kick in when 40% of the population get it. Even Sweden where they don't care, only 15% of the population have caught it.

The trick is to quarantine the old and open up.
Possibly. But herd immunity is based on an equation (taking infection rate and some other factors) that generally results in around 75 - 85% of the population needing to be infected for herd immunity. So it wouldn't be 100,000 Aussies. More like 75,000 - 85,000

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Possibly. But herd immunity is based on an equation (taking infection rate and some other factors) that generally results in around 75 - 85% of the population needing to be infected for herd immunity. So it wouldn't be 100,000 Aussies. More like 75,000 - 85,000
We will never have more than half the population infected, so to continue your train of thought we are talking 50k.
BUT! How many of those 50k would have died anyway? Remember they are old and have pre. existing conditions. Will be a huge chunk.

also take into account people who die as a result of the lockdown. there would be a few.

this thirty year old bitch I know who survived is a real eye opener.
if corona really did kill a youngster, then she should be dead. She literally stop breathes during the day and gets hospitalised with chronic asthma. When she got it I thought she would be dead in two weeks and even sent a RIP message and suggested she gets her orders in affair.

she didn't breeze through it. She got oxygen for a day and recovered and it pissed me off because I realise this virus isn't the killer they say it is. Yes it kills but you're already on your way out or are very sick.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Hacky McAxe ... in your broad exposure to corona-related content, any research involving recovered case harvesting of antibodies for immunization purposes?
Rather than an attenuated vaccine approach, is there possibility of an antibody transplant?
Here's hoping!!

EAP Slide 08232020.jpg

Kicker for stats folks: "Statistically significant 37% reduction in mortality in those treated with high titer convalescent plasma (p=0.03)"
Plus
Limited (to no) detail related to number of patients at each different titer level
37% reduction is from 10% to 6.3% error bars from each titer level overlap

Last edited:

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Here's hoping!!

View attachment 16531
Kicker for stats folks: "Statistically significant 37% reduction in mortality in those treated with high titer convalescent plasma (p=0.03)"
Plus
Limited (to no) detail related to number of patients at each different titer level
37% reduction is from 10% to 6.3% error bars from each titer level overlap
Posts like this is why we need a best post icon!!!!

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I can't believe what I'm seeing in Australia.

Arresting a pregnant woman (and putting her in handcuffs in her own home) for a facebook post about a potential protest this Saturday.

I'm not sure how her husband (I'm assuming the guy in the video is her husband) kept his cool. If that was me I would have been struggling to contain my rage.

This used to be a (largely) free country where we enjoyed far more rights than most of the world. We've now gone the opposite way and appear to have less rights than some 3rd world countries (for example we are not allowed to even leave the country without a govt exemption).

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Arresting a pregnant woman (and putting her in handcuffs in her own home) for a facebook post about a potential protest this Saturday.

I'm not sure how her husband (I'm assuming the guy in the video is her husband) kept his cool. If that was me I would have been struggling to contain my rage.

This used to be a (largely) free country where we enjoyed far more rights than most of the world. We've now gone the opposite way and appear to have less rights than some 3rd world countries (for example we are not allowed to even leave the country without a govt exemption).
The dumb **** wanted a reaction she got one ,***** give their lives for this country all we got to do is alter our lifestyle a bit for a virus we don't know the full effects of

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Fuck all protesters, achieves nothing and pissed off normal people.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Fuck all protesters, achieves nothing and pissed off normal people.
I was hoping for a bit more of a debate around the idea that government can take away many of your rights whenever they want, such as:

Freedom of movement
Freedom of protest

Also, previous laws designed to ensure that government didn't over extend their power (e.g. 6 month time limit on state of emergency powers), have simply been changed to suit the Vic govt (they've changed it so they can essentially extend these powers as long as they'd like (assuming crossbench continues voting with them).

A few inconsistencies:

Why are we arresting people who put a protest post on facebook, but failed to investigate and arrest the organisers and people who attended the Black Lives Matter protests just a few short months ago? Is is because the BLM march did not threaten Daniel Andrews grip on power, whereas a protest with thousands of people may send a clear signal that people are sick of government over reach?

Why is there a curfew in Melbourne but no where else in the western world despite melbourne's case numbers and deaths not even coming close to the damage the virus did in most other major western cities?

And the obvious question - why have they sent their entire population (including those who are young fit and healthy, into house arrest, when the virus clearly is a serious risk only to those above the age of 60 or 70 and those who have pre existing illnesses (94% of all american deaths from Covid are those with pre existing illnesses) - https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/cdc-94-of-covid-19-deaths-had-underlying-medical-conditions

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I strongly stand against her getting arrested for something she posted on social media, but I also side with stopping stupidity and conspiracy theory. It has spread like a plague online and has started causing deaths and hindering aid efforts.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Love dog how you doing champion?
Dude, the concept of not being able to safely travel home is playing on my mind at the moment. Alas, I consider those genuinely stuck overseas and consider myself blessed to be an essential here! Singapore is very lucky - we've survived the second wave and have minimal community transmission - thankfully there is a staggered, pragmatic approach to reopening - and it's working for us!

AUS gov is now helping out those stuck https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/COVID-19/covid-19-overseas-financial-assistance - hope it reaches those in need!

Thanks for checking in Southy 8-) - happy to hear report from you too :grinning:
~c.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Dude, the concept of not being able to safely travel home is playing on my mind at the moment. Alas, I consider those genuinely stuck overseas and consider myself blessed to be an essential here! Singapore is very lucky - we've survived the second wave and have minimal community transmission - thankfully there is a staggered, pragmatic approach to reopening - and it's working for us!

AUS gov is now helping out those stuck https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/COVID-19/covid-19-overseas-financial-assistance - hope it reaches those in need!

Thanks for checking in Southy 8-) - happy to hear report from you too :grinning:
~c.
Well you have us, your online family.

Plus you have better food there ;)

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I was hoping for a bit more of a debate around the idea that government can take away many of your rights whenever they want, such as:

Freedom of movement
Freedom of protest

Also, previous laws designed to ensure that government didn't over extend their power (e.g. 6 month time limit on state of emergency powers), have simply been changed to suit the Vic govt (they've changed it so they can essentially extend these powers as long as they'd like (assuming crossbench continues voting with them).

A few inconsistencies:

Why are we arresting people who put a protest post on facebook, but failed to investigate and arrest the organisers and people who attended the Black Lives Matter protests just a few short months ago? Is is because the BLM march did not threaten Daniel Andrews grip on power, whereas a protest with thousands of people may send a clear signal that people are sick of government over reach?

Why is there a curfew in Melbourne but no where else in the western world despite melbourne's case numbers and deaths not even coming close to the damage the virus did in most other major western cities?

And the obvious question - why have they sent their entire population (including those who are young fit and healthy, into house arrest, when the virus clearly is a serious risk only to those above the age of 60 or 70 and those who have pre existing illnesses (94% of all american deaths from Covid are those with pre existing illnesses) - https://abcnews4.com/news/nation-world/cdc-94-of-covid-19-deaths-had-underlying-medical-conditions
Not much debate when clearly the government uses cause and effect. They wait for shit like this to increase "security and safety" while decreasing freedom and privacy.

I still think we haven't seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to new measures.

You even find staunch atheists calling any new measures and laws as the mark of the beast.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Not much debate when clearly the government uses cause and effect. They wait for shit like this to increase "security and safety" while decreasing freedom and privacy.

I still think we haven't seen the tip of the iceberg when it comes to new measures.

You even find staunch atheists calling any new measures and laws as the mark of the beast.
Tbh I think that IF a few thousand people protested in the centre of Melbourne on Saturday, it would remove all the power for the govt and police to do what they're doing down there.

The only reason it hasn't happened is they've scared the bejesus out of everyone in terms of the virus (it is not that deadly and is only deadly to a tiny fraction of the community) as well as fines (enormous fines if you dare to oppose the Vic Govt).

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Tbh I think that IF a few thousand people protested in the centre of Melbourne on Saturday, it would remove all the power for the govt and police to do what they're doing down there.

The only reason it hasn't happened is they've scared the bejesus out of everyone in terms of the virus (it is not that deadly and is only deadly to a tiny fraction of the community) as well as fines (enormous fines if you dare to oppose the Vic Govt).
So their tactic worked pretty well then?

Scared people out of protesting and spreading a virus all because they believed someone online who said "it is not that deadly" when the evidence suggests otherwise.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
BTW, if anyone is curious about the latest data, it does mainly hit people over 55 with 55 year olds having a death rate of about 4 times a really bad flu season. 65 year olds the death rate is about 13 times a really bad flu season. 45 times as bad for 75 year olds, and 150 times as bad for 85 year olds. Much lower rates for those under 55 but those under 55 still make up about 10% of the deaths.

Population wise, that's about 6.5 million people who will have at least a 4x higher chance of dying from Covid-19 than the flu. But 6.5 million is obviously only a "tiny fraction of the community"

Status
Not open for further replies.