Daily Telegraph/Rothfield Bulldogs contact David Furner to join Trent Barrett’s coaching staff

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
im sure he would be hands on with the attack and the halves.
Yeah I hope so. You wouldnt want him to take on the role of man manager and delegate all the attack to someone else considering the great job he's done at the Panthers. As long as the attacking coach has no idea what Desball is, I'll be happy

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness I'd like Barrett to be a career coach at Canterbury,I think his in touch with players and I feel he needs to set some very high standards,I think Melbourne leads in this area because there had some real champions down there that are natural leaders,Slater,Smith and cronk

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm surprised there hasn't been and article saying that Barrett is considering a backflip to coach his beloved Dragons, a team that he took to the 1999 grand final against the Storm. Barrett who played the majority of his career at Illawarra and the dragons is a favourite son of the side, and since the sacking of Mcgregor have sounded out whether he is happy with the Dogs deal :p

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
As long as Barrett makes our team fitter, makes our defence ruthless (think desperate goal line defence, compared to our misreads, and our running out of the line tackling air).

Dogs have never been a team with the biggest names, but they have always been a team that once you wear your jersey you overachieve. We have the hardness and the grit to win. If Barrett can get us into a position with fitness, attack and defence to be like that, I'd be happy. Even if it does take 4-5 years to win a title.

David holland

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
As long as Barrett makes our team fitter, makes our defence ruthless (think desperate goal line defence, compared to our misreads, and our running out of the line tackling air).

Dogs have never been a team with the biggest names, but they have always been a team that once you wear your jersey you overachieve. We have the hardness and the grit to win. If Barrett can get us into a position with fitness, attack and defence to be like that, I'd be happy. Even if it does take 4-5 years to win a title.
We haven't had overchievers for a long time

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I remember Gus saying Furner is the guy that no one will go near in sparring sessions when he was playing for NSW and was renowned as having the “best hands” in the competition...
yeh apparantly he can throw them, like Hetherington now